• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Genesis owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Genesis Prada Engine Bay

Twain427

Hasn't posted much yet...
The Lexus LS has long been a car I've admired for its attention to detail and finish. Specifically, in latter years, the engine bay has been a thing of beauty in my opinion. Open the hood and see nothing but a sea a clean, well-fitted, black plastic. When read it certainly doesn't sound so nice, however quite a thing to look at.

I've long know of the Genesis Prada edition however paid little attention to it, but today came across a picture I'd not yet seen. In particular an image of the engine bay which, in addition to a not so attractive red engine cover, showcased a clean, well covered engine bay.

Anyone know of a source for these panels? Again, I don't care too much for the red engine cover, rather the associated pieces covering the struts towers, etc..

ge4961897894170260610.jpg

2011-lexus-ls-460-4-door-sedan-l-rwd-engine_100330968_l.jpg

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Ruissimo

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Ram Air

Registered Member
Personally, I would prefer to look at alloy valve cover and a polished intake. However, this is the cheapest solution to cleaning up the engine compartment (and deadening some sound). The covers don't do anything for me."Out of sight, out of mind", I guess. I can't see a damn thing with them on............ could be mice on a treadmill underneath, for all I know (albeit: a lot of mice).

Crusty Old Shellback

Registered Member
SoCal
With all the new fangled gizmos and gadgets along with hoses and fuel lines, they need a good cover over them. It's not like the old days of basic engines with shiny valve covers and big blowers sitting on top.
:)
mymotor_zps01ed9d01.jpeg

OneFunGenesis

<- Runnin' on Empty
Rochester, NY
I actually put the Genesis in shows...that is why I love the engine dress up :).

Would still like to know where I can get these!!

Billfz1

Registered Member
To each his own I guess. I do all my own work and when I see plastic under the hood I think, there is something else I will need to take off when I do. I also think non-functional is not for me. If the cover is USEFUL like say channeling the airflow in an important way, then I might feel differently. I also think that these covers just add weight without doing anything. I'm a mechanical engineer and prefer for form to FOLLOW function. I think it is interesting that in one of the road tests that is linked to this site the underhood shot shows the cover removed to show a little more of the Tao. But if plastic floats your boat enjoy it.
Bill

jnc2000

Registered Member
If there was a way to remove more of the plastic, I would... A nice tuned alloy type IM w/ runners would be preferable. (think magnesium). The packaging is quite tight - esp with the headers.

IMG_2493-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Potty_Pants

Been here awhile...
it's a lot cheaper to mold a few pieces of plastic then to make the metal bits look pretty.

hot rod = dress it up !
oem = plastic everywhere

ppp

Mark63021

Registered Member
St. Louis
I think the Prada engine bay is far more sharp than the Lexus pictured. To me, the Lexus engine bay looks like something you'd see on a cheap 1/24th scale model (easy casting!) The Prada dressup still reveals to some extent that there's an engine in there, while looking very classy. I wonder if a parts guy at the dealer can search for Prada parts? It appears only four panels do the magic; I'd be willing to part with a couple bucks for the "enhancement".

BTW, JCN.... The shot of your engine is totally sharp in it's own right, and I'll bet the mechanics will thank you whenever you bring the car in! ;-)

Ruissimo

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You could always just take the plastic off... and it still looks great! Maybe even better!

Genesis-50-naked-engine.jpg

Some of the parts definitely need paint. And the chrome needs a good shinin'....

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I wonder if a parts guy at the dealer can search for Prada parts?
Isn't Genesis Prada only sold outside of USA? If so, you should probably check with one of the Korean parts importers.

Crusty Old Shellback

Registered Member
SoCal
If you examine the Prada closely and compare it to a regular genesis engine bay, about all the dyd was paint the main engine cover and replaced/added a cover on eitehr side of the engine bay towards the rear.

Seems very basic to me. One would think that one could easily make a metal cover to do the same and then paint/polish it as desired.

While JCN's engine bay looks good, my only concern is how much increased engine noise is there inside the cabin? The foam insulation and engine cover are there for a reason, i.e., to supress noise. ;)

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
If someone gave me a LS460, I would suffer the indignity (as horrible as that would be) of having the engine parts obscured by the plastic cover when I lift the hood up. But I doubt that too many LS460 owners have ever lifted their hood up (themselves).

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
If there was a way to remove more of the plastic, I would... A nice tuned alloy type IM w/ runners would be preferable. (think magnesium). The packaging is quite tight - esp with the headers.
Hey moderator!! Please resize your pics before you post them so they aren't so wide.

Ruissimo

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Pictures look fine to me... using Chrome.