• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Genesis steering sticking in turns - won't return to center

boamot66

Hasn't posted much yet...
I've owned my 2015 Genesis for 3 years. Over the past 6 months I'm having issues with my steering sticking when making turns. Most obvious when hwy driving at higher speeds. The wheel fails to return to the center position. If slightly turning right, it stays right, same with the left. Two dealerships and Hyundai Corporate are involved and no one can give me an answer. They say that I'm showing no codes with my power steering - tires are new Michelins - alignment is perfect. I'm beyond frustrated that no one's even making suggestions of things to check - the camber - tie rods - I just keep googling and hoping to come up with an answer. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Absintheuphoria

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I noticed a slight steering issue on my '15 Genesis but contributed it to tire wear. Didn't feel anything on my '13 or '16 though.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

boamot66

Thank you! Well, Hyundai finally got an engineer involved. He was supposed to go to the dealership and look at my car, but instead, over the phone, he instructed the dealership to replace the entire rack and pinion and indicated that this is a KNOWN issue with Genesis but hasn't been announced yet!! Nice!! I've read several threads about the Sonata and Elantra having identical issues, but nothing on the Genesis. So, BEWARE, if you start having any steering issues, they KNOW there's a problem!! All covered under warranty and fixed. I got my car back on Saturday and once again - she drives like a dream!! I do have to give props to Hyundai Customer Service - Arianna - she stayed right with me for the past 4 months and did everything she could to help! This wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for her and the outstanding customer service Hyundai is known for!!

boamot66

I noticed a slight steering issue on my '15 Genesis but contributed it to tire wear. Didn't feel anything on my '13 or '16 though.
See my response below. You may want to check further into this. Apparently, Hyundai is fully aware they have a problem with the engineering of their rack and pinion on ALL Hyundai's!

boamot66

the behavior you describe is usually the result of a suspension problem, bad ball joints or tie rods would be where I would look first, probably something bent, could even be a steering rack issue, which they cannot diagnose via a code, someone needs to get the car on a rack and physically inspect these parts.

If you have mentioned such to the dealer, and they haven't or won't investigat those things, you might consider a different dealer, if you have another close, and tell them up front you want the suspension looked at..
Thanks for your input. See my response below. The problem was, the dealer even called their people and no one had ever heard of this issue! There are hundreds of threads on the Sonata and Elantra, but nothing on the Genesis YET even though the systems are identical!

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

boamot66

does the 2015 have the newer electric steering rack or a hydraulic steering pump and rack?

I'm curious if it is a known issues with the 2018s which I know have the electric steering system. I don't know about the older models.
I too have the newer rack and pinion on my 2015 - I believe they're the same. It was a sudden thing. Just all of a sudden my car didn't feel right - I thought I was crazy, but nope! If you call someone, anyone, they'll be clueless! Every dealer, every mechanic, NO ONE ADMITTED to it. I would assume if you're not having any problems, they really won't listen to you. But it's good to know for future reference, just in case. :)

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums