Genesis will be giving up the V8 then?

ThoughtfulOne

Hasn't posted much yet...
Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
It looks like with the refresh Genesis will not offer the v8 on the G80 and only for a few years with the G90.

Afterwards, that is it:

omegafiler

Getting familiar with the group...
TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Yep, I heard the sad, but inevitable news. Although it's not like Genesis really takes advantage of the V8 like some other manufacturers. I was just commenting in another thread how restricted that poor V8 is. Still feels nice, but missed opportunity to give it some character.

For me, it's either 8 cylinders or no cylinders. Meaning, no more G80s in my future.

omegafiler

TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
So maybe a truck is in your future. With all the regulations coming, many brands will be dropping the V8 in the next few years.
Yep, I had a truck before the G80.
Or an EV... maybe.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
It looks like with the refresh Genesis will not offer the v8 on the G80 and only for a few years with the G90.

Afterwards, that is it:

[/URL][/URL][/URL]
I am not suprised since the 3.3T engine is actually stronger due to having more low end torque to move the G80. The acceleration numbers also shows that the 3.3T is as quick as the 5.0 even though the 5.0 V8 has more top end horsepower. The 3.3T makes the nearly the same amount of torque as the 5.0 engine at about 1000 rpm as opposed to the 5.0 V8 4000 rpm. The 3.3T is just the better engine overall for moving the heavy G80 around easily. You have to drive the 5.0 like you stole it to get the same acceleration as the 3.3T.

I love my 5.0 Tau V8, but I knew it days were numbered when I researched the 3.3T engine.

jimmy buoy

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Looks like I'll be keeping my 2015 AWD V8 for many years to come then. I'd rather have an engine that is not having to work hard and the relative simplicity that naturally aspirated larger displacement engines provide. That's ok. So far, I don't see this car having major engine issues for many miles - and it drives just like it did the first day I owned it.

tx_boy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Looks like I'll be keeping my 2015 AWD V8 for many years to come then. I'd rather have an engine that is not having to work hard and the relative simplicity that naturally aspirated larger displacement engines provide. That's ok. So far, I don't see this car having major engine issues for many miles - and it drives just like it did the first day I owned it.

I don't think you understand how engines work. lol

ThoughtfulOne

Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type

Same. Either that or get the G90 it seems. I really wish that Genesis would release a super or turbocharged Tau that would compete with marques like the AMG series.

So maybe a truck is in your future. With all the regulations coming, many brands will be dropping the V8 in the next few years.

Even the truck brands these days are pushing turbo engines.

Ford for example has more incentives on the turbo F-150 than the v8 version. That being said, I still recommend people consider the V8, as the fuel economy penalty in real world driving shows the Ecoboost (Ford's name for turbocharged engines) actually aren't that good in terms of fuel savings.

Here's an example:

Note how the Ecoboost 3.5L and the 5.0L are about the same.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Same. Either that or get the G90 it seems. I really wish that Genesis would release a super or turbocharged Tau that would compete with marques like the AMG series.

Even the truck brands these days are pushing turbo engines.

Ford for example has more incentives on the turbo F-150 than the v8 version. That being said, I still recommend people consider the V8, as the fuel economy penalty in real world driving shows the Ecoboost (Ford's name for turbocharged engines) actually aren't that good in terms of fuel savings.

Here's an example:

[/URL]

Note how the Ecoboost 3.5L and the 5.0L are about the same.
Neat as it would be, I doubt the economics would ever allow it. Genesis has a lot going on and it would take both engineering and money in large quantities for an engine selling in small quantities..
I don't think electrics are the final answer, but they will allow continued production of large cars. Regulations are getting restrictive and if the 52 mpg is put back in place we'll all be driving tiny 4 seaters with 800 cc engines.

ThoughtfulOne

Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
I am not suprised since the 3.3T engine is actually stronger due to having more low end torque to move the G80. The acceleration numbers also shows that the 3.3T is as quick as the 5.0 even though the 5.0 V8 has more top end horsepower. The 3.3T makes the nearly the same amount of torque as the 5.0 engine at about 1000 rpm as opposed to the 5.0 V8 4000 rpm. The 3.3T is just the better engine overall for moving the heavy G80 around easily. You have to drive the 5.0 like you stole it to get the same acceleration as the 3.3T.

I love my 5.0 Tau V8, but I knew it days were numbered when I researched the 3.3T engine.

From what I've read the 5.0 V8 is slightly faster in 0-60 times. No by much, but it is still an advantage.

Neat as it would be, I doubt the economics would ever allow it. Genesis has a lot going on and it would take both engineering and money in large quantities for an engine selling in small quantities..
I don't think electrics are the final answer, but they will allow continued production of large cars. Regulations are getting restrictive and if the 52 mpg is put back in place we'll all be driving tiny 4 seaters with 800 cc engines.

It's more of a halo product than anything else. The Daimler AMG, BMW M, Cadillac V, etc, were always halo products.

Hyundai's competitors have to deal with the same fuel economy issues that Hyundai does.

Personally I think that a v8 PHEV might be the solution.

Exactly, I find I get the same MPG with my 5.0 as I did with my 2.0T Sonata in real world driving. I didn't when I first got the car but after I got my jollies out and just drove normally, it's about the same. Hwy is a different story but that can be fixed with a 10 speed transmission and maybe cylinder deactivation.

Even better if they can someday get dynamic skip timing.

If this could be combined with a higher compression ratio (Mazda has done this with SPCCI - which it markets as Skyactiv X) and perhaps a PHEV, I could see really good improvements in fuel economy coming along.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
The top-line Genesis powerplant (not counting straight BEV or FCEV) will be the 3.5TT + electric motor - so should be good for around 500+ HP.

Going forward, would like to see them move to an inline-6.

Starflyer

Vancouver WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Regulations are getting restrictive and if the 52 mpg is put back in place we'll all be driving tiny 4 seaters with 800 cc engines.

Not as long as my G80 keeps truckin' and gas is still available. If the "green's" had their way, they would be jacking the price of gas up to $10 a gallon or more.

SleepeRspecSedan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I really hate to see v8's being replaced with smaller turbocharged motors. I think that for me it has more to do with nostalgia, and the cars I grew up around then the actual capabilities though.

Starflyer

Vancouver WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I really hate to see v8's being replaced with smaller turbocharged motors.

I'm not a big fan of turbocharged engines either, but they're here to stay with manufacturers trying to get as high a fleet gas mileage average as possible AND still crank out the torque. When I bought my G80 14 months ago, I was tempted to get the 3.8L engine. That coupled with the Ultimate package (10K) had most of the extras that the Sport had, but I liked the look of the front end treatment so much that I went with the Sport. IMO, the front end treatment of the non Sport models looks a bit on the old fashion styling of yesteryear.

I think that's the main reason the G70 is styled similarly to the G80 Sport.

Whether the vehicle will go from 0-60 in 5 seconds or lets say 8 seconds doesn't matter to me as I'm basically a "cruiser" that adds up to 7 MPH to the posted speed with a self imposed limit of 73 MPH. The way I drive wouldn't get me there any quicker if I had gone the V8 route and I would be out another $10K in addition.

If I remember correctly, back in the late 50's a car that would go 0 to 60 in under 10 seconds was considered pretty hot. I wouldn't be surprised to see Genesis drop the V8 option in the G90 as well.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I'm not a big fan of turbocharged engines either, but they're here to stay with manufacturers trying to get as high a fleet gas mileage average as possible AND still crank out the torque. When I bought my G80 14 months ago, I was tempted to get the 3.8L engine.

Whether the vehicle will go from 0-60 in 5 seconds or lets say 8 seconds doesn't matter to me

If I remember correctly, back in the late 50's a car that would go 0 to 60 in under 10 seconds was considered pretty hot.
You do remember correctly. It was a big deal in the 60s that a Corvette could do 6 seconds. I kind of chuckle when I see guys debating on buying one model over another because it can do 4.2 rather than a mere 4.4

I have the 3.8 and not like some of the cars of my youth, it is adequate and has not left me wanting to get on the highway. I could not justify the extra 5k for the V-8. My self imposed limit is about 9 over posted in most cases.

SleepeRspecSedan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
The great thing about cars is that there is something for everyone. There are beautiful lowriders that are all about the style and cruising and hot rods that tear up the streets. I very much enjoy big power and fast cars, but I realize there is always someone faster. I have a 96 impala ss that was quite quick for the era, but would have trouble keeping up with a modern Camry. The power and efficiency they are able to get out of small turbocharged motors is incredible. I personally just have an emotional attachment to big v8 cars lol

unhappymeal

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

The Tau's days are numbered for sure, but this is actually the halycon days of the V8. Manufacturers have realized that there are limits to how much you can downsize and throw forced induction at a problem. Ford is developing a monster 7.0 L small block V8 to replace the Coyote. GM is committed as ever to the LT engine family and is building the Blackwing for Cadillac (hot V8 setup). FCA has the 426 on the way (it debuted as the 1,000 horsepower "Hellephant" crate engine) to replace the 6.4 L 392. Lexus' top tier model is not a turboed engine; rather, it's a big V6 with a hybrid system. All of these manufacturers are also developing partial electronic hybrids to go along with their big displacement engines.

In the EU, regulators have caught on to the particulate emissions problem of direct injection turbo engines and now VW has Otto Particulate Filters on their European turboed cars. If anything, it's the small displacement turbo's days that are numbered. Electronic assist hybrid systems paired to a moderate to large sized naturally aspirated engine is cheaper, cleaner, simpler and dovetails nicely with all the R&D going into full electronic hybrids.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
The Tau's days are numbered for sure, but this is actually the halycon days of the V8. Manufacturers have realized that there are limits to how much you can downsize and throw forced induction at a problem. Ford is developing a monster 7.0 L small block V8 to replace the Coyote. GM is committed as ever to the LT engine family and is building the Blackwing for Cadillac (hot V8 setup). FCA has the 426 on the way (it debuted as the 1,000 horsepower "Hellephant" crate engine) to replace the 6.4 L 392. Lexus' top tier model is not a turboed engine; rather, it's a big V6 with a hybrid system. All of these manufacturers are also developing partial electronic hybrids to go along with their big displacement engines.

In the EU, regulators have caught on to the particulate emissions problem of direct injection turbo engines and now VW has Otto Particulate Filters on their European turboed cars. If anything, it's the small displacement turbo's days that are numbered. Electronic assist hybrid systems paired to a moderate to large sized naturally aspirated engine is cheaper, cleaner, simpler and dovetails nicely with all the R&D going into full electronic hybrids.

I routinely get 27-28 mpg on my G90 5.0 in SMART MODE
If I try hard in ECO I can get over 30.
I smile when I read all the posts with folks saying they went with a smaller engine because they were worried about fuel mileage.
Yes this is highway but I only go a few miles in city so who cares. V8 is the way to go. Smooth as silk.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums