Getting excited about the 2021 Stinger

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
While I love my G70 I'm getting excited about the potential of the 2021 Kia Stinger. If they clean up the fake vents and tighten up a few of the soft/round lines I would welcome the larger backseat and hatch.....plus the cost savings over the Genesis.

Anyone else think they would cross shop them again?

petraman

All Gas, No Brakes
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Nahh... The G70 is still going to look more handsome; I'm just not a fan of the liftback look, and the shorter wheelbase has better proportions.

The curious rumor that I've been reading is that it'll come with an updated 3.3T and not the 3.5T. If that's true, I wonder what updates they'll roll out for it. I'm really excited for the variable exhaust; the 3.3T really needs it.

Last edited:

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I agree it is more handsome in some regards I am finding a few of the shortcoming of the G70 to be a bit more tedious than I imagined. The back seat is about as useful as the one in a Porche. The trunk is too small for the class.

Fromsfca

Registered Member
Louisville, KY
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
In spite of not having a stand-alone showroom, I find the Hyundai/Genesis deal a better experience than the Kia.

I liked the Stinger when it first came out, but the G70 is faster and I thought handled better. I agree the back seat and trunk are small for the class, but are better than my Porsches....and big enough for a road trip with my wife and to haul a grown kid to dinner, when they come home to visit. So, big enough for me. My priorities were the sports aspect, less than the sedan aspect.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I am excited for the Stinger, and I know I'd appreciate the increased rear seat room and the hatchback. But, with the new 2022 G70 looming on the horizon I really want to wait and see how it looks. Like mentioned above, even though I really value the room of the Stinger, it's worth the sacrifice for me to have the increased performance, while still being usable for my family. I also really enjoy the sleeper aspect of the G70, nobody tries to race me on the street, but when I want to play around I am able to totally catch people off guard. I think the Stinger is a little more noticeable and attracts more attention than what I want.

Supposedly the new 3.5 engine is still up in the air for the Stinger. But it's pretty much guaranteed for the G70, and might even have a high output version for the sport trim. I'd be really bummed out if that's the case if I went for the refreshed stinger instead of waiting for the new G70.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You guys may have already seen this, but I ran across this in my news feed today...

Report Says Kia Stinger Facelift to Have Over 400 hp - Korean Car Blog

TL;DR - It might get the new 3.5tt. Also lends credit to the potential 420HP high output version of said engine.

The Stinger suddenly became more interesting.

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
Dayton, OH
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
While I love my G70 I'm getting excited about the potential of the 2021 Kia Stinger. If they clean up the fake vents and tighten up a few of the soft/round lines I would welcome the larger backseat and hatch.....plus the cost savings over the Genesis.

I've had my eye on one for awhile. I was going to pull the trigger on a Micro Blue GT when they first arrived in Rapid City, SD in late 2017. Couldn't justify the price for the amenities it had, or lack there of. However, second hand and finding one certified isn't that hard and depreciation is going to be as extreme.

In the time I've been around the car industry, I haven't seen a car that is as capable as the Stinger at the value it currently is second-hand. A tune and intake makes the GT trims a low to mid 12 sec car. And, buying once certified is just another reason to do it. 10yr/100mi warranty is nuts on a sports car, but necessary. Sure, you aren't getting the fit/finish that you would like in luxury segments but if I can buy a Stinger and put $1k into it and be as fast as a stock C6/C7, there ya go.

One of the main reasons consumers/enthusiasts won't buy them is because they have to say they own a KIA. To each there own but if I am going to spend $35k on a car, I'll make sure it fits my needs, not opinions that will never matter.

Fromsfca

Registered Member
Louisville, KY
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
From MOTOR1.com:

"First of all, the range-topping GT is said to use an upgraded version of the existing twin-turbo 3.3-liter V6 engine. Output is expected to grow from the current 365 horsepower and 376 pound-feet (510 Newton-meters) of torque to 380 hp and 390 lb-ft (528 Nm). The bump in output will be complemented by the company’s first implementation of a variable exhaust system with adjustable flaps to alter the soundtrack. "

Yes, more horsepower...no, not from a bigger engine, but from adjusting the ECU (something any of could do with either Burger or 3 or 4 other ECU flashing modules....though, you run the risk of voiding the warranty.

More HP and torque is fine, but you have to ask the questions how much is enough? I like the new Porsche Taycan....but what would I do with that HP driving on city streets? And, with a HP boost, does the suspension, brakes, intake, exhaust, etc....all match, so pushing a car to the limit becomes fun, not dangerous? If you're thinking of the Stinger as a track car, then I'm with you. For a daily driver, G70 is enough for me.

SimpsonTide985

Registered Member
Well, the two cars are obviously very different and so it's funny when people criticize or complain about what one car has or does when they're clearly in different categories outside of their engines and "platforms".

Don't get me wrong, I know why the comparisons exist--It just amuses me when someone asks which one "looks better" or comparing backseat space when they have drastically different intentions. Having driven both current generation vehicles multiple times, they definitely have unique and different dynamics that will appeal to different people. Honestly, you can't go too wrong either way.

Last edited:

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Why is it funny to cross shop the cars? Lives change and so do needs. Since the cars share a platform it's reasonable to discuss both here. 🤷‍♂️

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
One of the main reasons consumers/enthusiasts won't buy them is because they have to say they own a KIA. To each there own but if I am going to spend $35k on a car, I'll make sure it fits my needs, not opinions that will never matter.

Considering the # of tuning companies which offer upgrades for the Stinger (more so than for the G70), I'd say the Stinger had done alright w/ enthusiasts.

Plus, despite being a niche body-style (liftback vs. sedan), it still outsells the G70.

2021 Stinger is supposed to be in June of this year. I thought the all new G70 (both style and engines) was June of next year?

2021 Stinger for June/July in Korea, which probably means a late 2020 or early 2021 launch for NA.

While there has been conflicting reports about whether the Stinger will get the new engines, would be surprised if it, at the very least, doesn't get the 2.5T (at least for LHD markets).

Has there been confirmation that the G70 will get the 3.5TT like there is for the 2.5T?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Has there been confirmation that the G70 will get the 3.5TT like there is for the 2.5T?

I haven't seen any confirmation. The closest thing I've seen even mentioning the new 3.5 for the Stinger is the article I referenced above, but it only implies that it *might* get it.

I did like the Stinger when I test drove it before buying the G70; but, obviously I liked the G70 better. If the Stinger got the new engine, I'd certainly consider it over the new G70! BTW, I wouldn't consider the driving experience "drastically" different, either.

Last edited:

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
^ Thanks for replying.

So, a lot of stuff still up in the air...

Conflicting stories about the Stinger getting the 3.5TT (could be the diff. btwn LHD and RHD markets), but if the Stinger does get the 3.5TT (at least for LHD), don't see how the G70 won't get it as well.

Greater chance of the G70 getting the 3.5TT and the Stinger staying w/ the 3.3TT (but w/ increased power), but that doesn't really make any sense since the Stinger is sold in Europe which, due to ever stricter emissions regs, calls for the switch to the cleaner and more efficient new engine, so right now, I'm inclined to believe that the Stinger will be sticking to the 3.3TT for RHD markets, but may get the 3.5TT for LHD markets.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I'm one of those. I could not get past the giant KIA logo on the steering wheel.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums