Getting out of the car wash

EXCADDY

Registered Member
Westfield Indiana
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
So, I use a car wash that I drive through. Going in is no problem. I drive up to the entrance and into the rail until the attendant motions for me to put the car into neutral. I bump it from drive to neutral and slowly ride through the car wash watching the camera display (cool). Then I get to the end and now is the tricky part. To get the car back into drive I have to put my foot on the brake, push in the shift button and move it to drive. The tricky part is the brake. I'm being pushed forward by a roller behind my left rear tire and anything other than perfect timing of the brake/button/movement of the lever and it's not pleasant. It's less of a problem if it's a slow day at the car was and there's not a car immediately behind me. I can just kind of coast out before I have to get the car into drive. But when it's busy, it's a little annoying to have to brake first. Is there some way to turn off the requirement to brake when shifting into drive? I've searched the manual and can't seem to find anything.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Is this a touch free car wash or the full touch ones?

BillN

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Yes, you'll get used to it after a few times. Last summer right after I got my G80, I remember the car behind honking at me as I struggled to figure out how to get the car in gear again at the end of the wash line! I had one eye on the rearview mirror as he kept advancing on my rear bumper. Finally remembered I had to step on the brake before shifting to D. Whew!

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm coming off my first winter with my '18 G80. The car was caked with dirt and slop from a recent snowfall. Since the local weather is in the low 30's, I went to my local car wash that used to do a decent job on my RDX.

I can't compain much about the car wash EXCEPT the design of my '18 G80 Sport wheels are unwashable at the auto car wash. All the grooves in the wheels are still caked with dirt and look awful with the clean car. Next time I'm going to one of those do-it-yourself car washes with the high pressure hose to see if that will clean out the wheels.

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
It took me a few times through the wash as well to learn the trick to getting it out with out stopping the whole wash. The first time I went through I had the auto hold on and diddn't know it, it was a disaster.

Pr0metheuz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Tried this today at the car wash--I very lightly touched the brake pedal and put it in drive with no issue. Thanks for the pro tip, all!

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
just say no to car washes..

I've seen more vehicles damaged by these systems than I care to remember. Especially vehicles with wider low profile wheel/tire setups.

hand wash only for me.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
just say no to car washes..

I've seen more vehicles damaged by these systems than I care to remember. Especially vehicles with wider low profile wheel/tire setups.

hand wash only for me.
I agree. I avoid car washes (even hand job ;) ) places. I have a few known "touch free" places I use when I have to. Particularly, in the winter when it snows and it's too cold to hand wash and remove salt/grime.

Non-touch free places with cloth rollers might as well be sand paper. I had a touch-free place damage the B pillar plastic. Additionally, these automated places do not clean as well as a hand job at home.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I agree. I avoid car washes (even hand job ;) ) places. I have a few known "touch free" places I use when I have to. Particularly, in the winter when it snows and it's too cold to hand wash and remove salt/grime.

Non-touch free places with cloth rollers might as well be sand paper. I had a touch-free place damage the B pillar plastic. Additionally, these automated places do not clean as well as a hand job at home.

I have a guy that comes to my house and does all my cars twice a month, he charges me $20 a car, the local hand job place charges $24, and the local scratch your car to hell automated car wash charges $18.

Lewis is a car guy, restores muscles cars as his day job. He started off with mobile detailing some 20 years ago, and maintains a few of us customers he has had all that time. He knows what he is doing, and since he is a car guy, he is also very careful with what he does. If he drops a rag, it no longer gets used because it could scratch the car, different rags for tires and wheels than for body and interior, etc.

In-House Bob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I have a guy that comes to my house and does all my cars twice a month, he charges me $20 a car, the local hand job place charges $24, and the local scratch your car to hell automated car wash charges $18.

Lewis is a car guy, restores muscles cars as his day job. He started off with mobile detailing some 20 years ago, and maintains a few of us customers he has had all that time...
Does he make house calls in Northern VA? 🆒

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.