Getting ready to buy my first G80

rdascher

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Thread starter #1
New to the forum - After months of looking and research, I am getting ready to buy my first Genesis. I like buying used and thinking a 2015 or 16 G80 under 30K miles - any thoughts or tips on what to look for is greatly appreciated, especially what option packages to get. Does the large sunroof have any issues with wind noise or leaking ? which package has the upgraded stereo ? (I want that )
Any thoughts of suggestions is greatly appreciated

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The 15/16 are nearly identical and you can get a good one for less than your budget. My 2015 Ultra sold for about 26.5 on the dealer lot.

Some people had noise or rattle issues with the pano roof but with 3 cars, I never did. I also don't open it.

There were three models and the Ultimate has the 17 speaker stereo as well as other features. If you look at the difference with the present models, the packages are similar and you'll have a better idea of what to look for and what is important to you. The Ultimate cannot use Car Play or Android Auto if that is important to you, but you get the larger screen and Heads Up Display, a feature I really like. The AWD has features you don't need in Florida like a heated steering wheel and heated rear seats.

Not everyone agrees with me but if you are going to buy a luxury brand car, only one model suits me, the Ultimate. I'd rather have a full blown every option Sonata than a stripped down base model Genesis. Obviously, others disagree.

rroyce46

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I bought my 2016 Genesis Luxury AWD with 11000 Kilometers from the local Hyundai dealer a month ago.
I had a rattle from the panoroof but I think they have fixed it.
Here in Calgary a new version of my car back in 2016 was $50000 & a new 2018 G80 AWD is $55000.I paid $31200 for mine @ 18 months old & feel it was a pretty good deal for a pretty fresh car.So far very happy.Their were lots of 2015 Premium trim ex rentals with 40-60 Kilometers available for around $25k but to me it was worth it to get the 2016 with the $5000 Luxury option package.My wife loves the colour Ibiza Blue with Black Nappa interior.
I would say I'm picky as a veteran 30 year M-B,Porsche New car Salesman/Sales Manager .I retired from MB new sales 7 years ago.
I have had 2 Kia's for DD's over the last 6 years.A Rio & A Turbo Forte Koup.Great little cars but @ 72 I decided to splurge & go for more comfort hence the Genesis purchase.
I laughed when I showed & let my old M-B boss drive my Genesis. He said MB sales trainers refer to Genesis as the Crooked H. He liked my car a lot especially for the $.
I tell my MB friends it's 75% of an S550 for 40% of the $$.
Great cars & so far the Dealer has impressed me.

omegafiler

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I recently went through an extended test drive and overnight stay with an '18 G80 5.0, Ultimate, AWD. During normal driving it was nice and quiet. Hit some rough roads, and I did notice a creak/pop from the dash once or twice. The pano sunroof was also making a creaking noise when there was chassis flex. I could actually recreate it every time I took a somewhat steep driveway entrance at an angle.

From experience, if it's already making noises at 100 miles, it's not going to get any quieter. So if those things are a concern, take it on a long test drive. Recreating chassis flex and finding rough roads is important. If it's used, it should be even easier to pick up on that stuff. Although from my two separate test drives in the 2018 and 2017, neither were noise-free. I've also been known to be rather sensitive to these things.

And as noted, if you want Android/Apple integration on Ultimate, you'd need a 2018. Sound quality is subjective, so bring your own preferred music source and try it for yourself.

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
Welcome and good choice considering the Genesis/G80. IMO, buying a '16 G80 rather than a '15 Genesis is quite unnecessary. Let me explain;

I bought a '15 with Sig/Tech packages and 35k miles. There happened to be a '17 G80 sitting on the lot with 7k miles or so but had the Ultimate package. First, mine came in under $26k. I got it CPO, then fixed the sunroof while I was shaking hands with the finance guy, and got a fleet card for discounts on gas and car washes. $26k.

The '17 G80 was there, I believe it was certified also. Very low miles as it's only a year or so old. Price - $41k. Ultimate package brings a few extra goodies, I won't lie, that may make or break a deal for a certain person.

What I'm getting at is the "Hyundai Genesis" CPO '15s and some of the CPO '16s are a bargain, a steal if you really look into it. The reason is simple: the brand. Since there is a Hyundai logo on the trunk lid, that drives down resale value tremendously. On the '17 G80, which is clearly a Genesis brand vehicle, has zero hyundai badges on it. There may be a few on some of the parts but as far as logos on the car, zero. Many of us, including myself, have switched the H badge for the Genesis wing badge on the truck lid. Much cleaner and is how the Genesis is branded over in their home country.

Remember, it is the same car. There isn't any noticeable differences between the two. maybe some slight interior differences but it is not something that commands a $15k price difference. Yes, mine is a '15 and I'm comparing it to a '17 so there isn't as much depreciation going on with the newer one. If you can stand to have a year older car and switch the badge on the back, I would do that every time. This car is literally the steal of the decade because of brand recognition. Get the one that's a "Hyundai" and save thousands. Hope this helps!

Dan

Hstead

I just searched all over for the car I wanted, shopped CTS, 5 Series, A6, among others and finished on the 16 Genesis with the Tech package. I felt like it is a good value at the prices they are currently bringing. I paid $24,900 for mine with 33k miles. I love it so far. I think it is hard to beat in that price range.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
There is no such thing as a 2015-16 G80. Hyundai Genesis only. G80's began, in the US, with model year 2017 and forward.
Thank you for pointing that out. It confuses the issue when trying to help out. Also it would help if this was not posted to the G80 forum. I believe it belongs in the 2015-2016 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion, but I am not the expert.

lt2211

Sustaining Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thank you for pointing that out. It confuses the issue when trying to help out. Also it would help if this was not posted to the G80 forum. I believe it belongs in the 2015-2016 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion, but I am not the expert.
True and a good point. The original poster would get more informed responses if it were posted in the area for for the Hyundai Genesis. As a G80 owner, I don't know much about the earlier Hyundai Genesis, that would be of any help.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
There is no such thing as a 2015-16 G80. Hyundai Genesis only. Genesis G80's began, in the US, with model year 2017 and forward.
I think that confusion will be around forever for a couple of reasons, both used car salesmen and customers. What sounds better in a conversation?
What kind of car is that you're driving?
"Oh, its a Hyundai, the Genesis model."
or would it sound better to say: "Its a Genesis G80"

Reality is, some Genesis owners are the same crowd that had to have an alligator on their shirts.

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
True and a good point. The original poster would get more informed responses if it were posted in the area for for the Hyundai Genesis. As a G80 owner, I don't know much about the earlier Hyundai Genesis, that would be of any help.
It's the same car. If you are ever intrigued enough, go down to the local Hyundai dealer and I'm sure they'll have a lease returned Genesis. If it has the Ultimate package like yours, it'll hard to point out the differences. Rear deck lid is different and the bottom buttons on the radio controls. See below - First is the '15 Genesis. Second is the G80

used-2015-hyundai-genesis-basetrim-10793-16976316-20-1024.jpg

images (2).jpg

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Technically you are correct, but I suspect the vast majority of members just look at "New Posts" and don't pay attention to what section of the forum that it was posted in, so long as the poster mentions the exact vehicle and model year they are talking about.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Reality is, some Genesis owners are the same crowd that had to have an alligator on their shirts.
I think that is a bit of a generalization unless you are including all the Hyundai owners that replaced their badges with Genesis ones. Are those the folks you are referring to?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I think that is a bit of a generalization unless you are including all the Hyundai owners that replaced their badges with Genesis ones. Are those the folks you are referring to?
Probably some of them are in that category but the wings do look better than the H. Nothing at all looks good too. Note, i said "some" and not "all" Not everyone is a brand snob

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Probably some of them are in that category but the wings do look better than the H. Nothing at all looks good too. Note, i said "some" and not "all" Not everyone is a brand snob
We should definite drop any reference to Hyundai anywhere on this forum. Hyundai’s are essentially Genesis and that will put everyone on the same footing and get rid of this snob appeal notion. No one pays any attention to where things are posted anyway.

lt2211

Sustaining Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
""It's the same car. ""

I'll give you the fact the basic body style is the same. Some features differ, they may or may not be important to the buyer. The 2015 Ultimate has Xeon headlights, the 2018 Ultimate has Full LED adaptive headlights. The 2015 is not Android Auto compatible, the 2018 is. Etc etc.

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
""It's the same car. ""

I'll give you the fact the basic body style is the same. Some features differ, they may or may not be important to the buyer. The 2015 Ultimate has Xeon headlights, the 2018 Ultimate has Full LED adaptive headlights. The 2015 is not Android Auto compatible, the 2018 is. Etc etc.
Which is which?

View attachment 13188
View attachment 13189

Pretty hard to tell

rdascher

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Thread starter #18
Thanks for all of the comments and information on my original post - I have been ready to buy for almost 2 months now and can't find the car i want as it seems Genesis inventory is a bit thin in this part of North East Florida.
I have decided to go with the Ultimate as well as the Tech Packages as i want the best stereo available and i want the upgraded leather seating as it seems to be a much more comfortable seat and it has the extended leg support on the drivers side.

If there are any dealers reading this post and have a 2015 or 16 Genesis available with the following, i am ready to buy if we can come to terms -
* Under 30K miles
* 1 owner
* Service records available
* Technology Pkg
* Ultimate Pkg
* Color Preference - Blue, Silver White or Dark Gray - No Black, Brown, Tan or Red

Ive been searching the top used car websites with little to no luck and have expanded my search to 100 miles and thinking i might even go further for the right car/deal

larrymg1

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
New to the forum - After months of looking and research, I am getting ready to buy my first Genesis. I like buying used and thinking a 2015 or 16 G80 under 30K miles - any thoughts or tips on what to look for is greatly appreciated, especially what option packages to get. Does the large sunroof have any issues with wind noise or leaking ? which package has the upgraded stereo ? (I want that )
I just turned in my leased 2015 Genesis Ultimate 3.8 RWD with 18000 miles. It is immaculate. My buyout would have been $28K. My dealer in SC sold it to Jim Ellis Genesis in Atlanta. He has it listed here:
Certified Used 2015 Hyundai Genesis For Sale in Atlanta GA | H7641

rdascher

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Thread starter #20
Its exactly what i am looking for - the car highlighted with the above link is black, not the white that you are showing in the picture. I may just wind up making a road trip to Atlanta to buy what i want! Thanks for sharing and the pricing as it looks to be in line with what i am seeing

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.