• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Getting tires to do a burn-out!?!?

Redrazor

Registered Member
Pacheco, CA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Our 2016 3.8 L has lots of get up and go, in every drive mode. I have not however ever been able to hear the tires break traction from a standing start. Only tried it a few times; but I thought 311 hp and lots of torque would make that an easy thing. Not looking to do damage to my baby; but just curious. !?!?!?

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Redrazor

Registered Member
Pacheco, CA
Genesis Model Type
lots of power, but heavy as a whale. couple that with all the electronic safety crap and traction controls. good luck with that.
I'm sure you're right about this. It is a nice heavy car that rides like a limo; but handles and accelerates like a dream.

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Now you got me curious, obviously the 4.6, the r-spec and 5.0 have proven themselves, in that regard on multiple occasions, so I am pretty sure 3.8 can do that in a safe environment, with just holding the ESC down for 5 seconds, hold the breaks, and press the accelerator while slowly releasing the breaks.... if this anything to go by....

lt2211

Sustaining Member
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Our 2016 3.8 L has lots of get up and go, in every drive mode. I have not however ever been able to hear the tires break traction from a standing start. Only tried it a few times; but I thought 311 hp and lots of torque would make that an easy thing. Not looking to do damage to my baby; but just curious. !?!?!?
Why would you want to do a burn out? That urge left me at about 17 1/2 years old. :)

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Redrazor

Registered Member
Pacheco, CA
Genesis Model Type
Now you got me curious, obviously the 4.6, the r-spec and 5.0 have proven themselves, in that regard on multiple occasions, so I am pretty sure 3.8 can do that in a safe environment, with just holding the ESC down for 5 seconds, hold the breaks, and press the accelerator while slowly releasing the breaks.... if this anything to go by....

YIKES!!! and more YIKES!!!

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Sure enough , yes the (2016) 3.8 most absolutely can do that every day, and twice on Sunday ....😂😇

e.han

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
ESC will kick in and cut power to the rear if it senses the wheels are spinning.

If you really have to break the rear wheel, try applying brakes and accelerator at the same time. Find that sweet spot and you'll be able to pull a nice burn out on those tires!

G-411786

Why would one want to intentionally do a burn out? Referring to folks over 16.

G-325690

Turning off the ESC does work! I just wanted to see if I could leave a burnout mark on the newly paved road in my neighborhood. It worked fine. Now I know what it can do. I'm only 73 years young; so I now know that both my F-100 hot rod and Genesis 3.8 can get it on quick enough for my curiosity to be satisfied. Most of the time I drive like the proverbial "old lady".

TinsleyC

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
You've got that right. Hopefully the new gen G80 loses some serious poundage. The current one is much heavier to competitive models effecting not only performance but fuel econmy.
It IS heavy, and in not the best places. I can lean against the car when reaching the center of the hood (waxing/drying) and hear the fender metal pop in and out. It's pretty flimsy. My G37 never did that, it was solid all the way around. It also had a 3.6 engine (vs 3.8) that made 328 HP (vs 311). But the 3.8 does get better MPG - 2+ in the city - and burns regular/87 vs the required 91 in the G37.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

e.han

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
It IS heavy, and in not the best places. I can lean against the car when reaching the center of the hood (waxing/drying) and hear the fender metal pop in and out. It's pretty flimsy. My G37 never did that, it was solid all the way around. It also had a 3.6 engine (vs 3.8) that made 328 HP (vs 311). But the 3.8 does get better MPG - 2+ in the city - and burns regular/87 vs the required 91 in the G37.
BHP is just figure derived from multiplying torque and rpm divided by 5,252. It's basically a mathematical formula based on torque at a certain rpm. The higher the rpm the higher the bhp, which explains why Honda Type Rs (reving to 9,000k rpm range, some even go to 11,000rpm) have higher bhp than torque while muscle cars have significantly lower bhp than torque.

I had a G37S, if I recalled correctly, it made 366Nm @ 5,200rpm while the G80 made 397Nm @ 5,000rpm. This means the G80 made more torque and lower in the rpm range making it a better drive.

However, the G37 redlines at 7,500rpm while the G80 redlines at 6,500rpm. This explains the higher bhp

So, in city driving, assuming both cars are of the same weight (which they're not, the G80 depending on spec is heavier) the G80 will be a better drive in the city while the G37 would be a better drive on the highway provided you rev it hard, to the 7,000rpm range.

The G37 basically uses the same engine as the 370Z and that VQ is designed to be a high reving engine.

Last edited:
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums