• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

GPS/Radio unit screen freezing up

jaijojan1

Hasn't posted much yet...
VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Hello Group,

While I have not posted anything since joining the group I may need your help now perhaps someone had this problem and can advise as to how to fix it. The issue is the GPS/radio screen on my 2011 Genesis 4.6L sedan 94k miles will freeze up on the initial " Caution" screen when you start the car and will remain this way sometime for up to 5 or 10 minutes not able to use the navi or change stations, I have to keep pressing enter for the unit eventually start functioning again.
The dealer recomended replacing the unit which can be very costly or buy an extended warranty wait a few months and then file a claim for replacement this is also very costly and unwilling to do either one. I enjoy the car and will like to keep it but it seems the electrical gremlins are showing up.
I am not mechanically inclined but can follow instrucctions if anyone can suggest how to repair it.
Thank you for you help

memphiskane

Registered Member
I have a 2012 with the tech package (DIS lexicon system) and mine will lockup on the splash screen from time to time. I can hear what sounds like a hard drive spinning up then the whole system will crash and reboot. Doesn't happen very often at all. When it does happen though I get no sound or anything.

Do you get sound/radio coming from the speakers when the screen if on caution? Is it possible that the system itself is not locked up but the controller itself has a bad button?

milesperhour

Fishers, IN
Genesis Model Type
2012 - Nav/Radio system freezing on the Genisis logo intermittently and only after a full reboot would it load properly. Well Here's an update which is sorta insane: My ext warranty covered a replacement unit, it was a remanufactured unit for almost $2k (insane) The moment it was installed I immediately had the same issue. The dealer has taken the car and attempted to troubleshoot everything leading to the system. Said it works, gave me the car and 3 days later, frozen screen again.. Took it back after a week they decided we are replacing the refurbished unit again. Gave it back to me, frozen screen after 24hours. They have the car again and have no clue what to do. This is going to be interesting because I don't think they can solve it yet they spent $2k of my warranty money and I want a solution. Any speculation of where this will end up?
They have had my car in the shop on and off a half-dozen times and the only saving grace is I take a loaner every time.

katmoore

Genesis Model Type
My 2012 sedan, 74,000 miles has radio that won't change stations nor between FM and satellite, freezes with map, and goes black sometimes when it is touched. Dealer just quoted $11,000 to replace. You read that correctly. I did not mistakenly type too many 0's. It was worth about $9,000 before this happened. Wonder what is worth with no radio or navigation???? Headed to purchase another car this weekend I guess; and IT WON'T BE A HYUNDAI!!!!!!!

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
My 2012 sedan, 74,000 miles has radio that won't change stations nor between FM and satellite, freezes with map, and goes black sometimes when it is touched. Dealer just quoted $11,000 to replace. You read that correctly. I did not mistakenly type too many 0's. It was worth about $9,000 before this happened. Wonder what is worth with no radio or navigation???? Headed to purchase another car this weekend I guess; and IT WON'T BE A HYUNDAI!!!!!!!
That seems excessive, normally it is should be around $3k...
Do you try another dealer?
If you are happy with the rest of car, it has been suggested that you could try to buy extended warranty, wait for few some time, then try to get it repaired....

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
LOL WTF $11k ?!

That dealer is a moron. $3k tops and might want to try to copart your own replacement for $500 and have a local mechanic swap it in for ya.

rrkazman

South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
I have a 2012 3.8, my Navigation system will go to the screen that says warming up and sit fore as much as an hour. Then it will come one. It generally takes 15 to 20 minutes for it to come on, then it will run very slow. I see no cure for these problem posted, except the 11K replacement. Part of my question is the Nav in the screen part or is it in the CD, changer Radio part. My CD Changer has been shot for some time. If thats the part to replace its easy.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums