• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

GPS Update Fail!

My11Genny

Hasn't posted much yet...
I am pretty tech savy so I tried to update my 2011 Genny sedan with the 2018 cd navigation update from MnSoft on my own. Although MnSoft states this is a dealership job, It really seems pretty straight forward. My dealership sold me the cds for about $150. After some 4 hours and following the directions on Youtube explicitly, the infotainment system firmware update went well but the nav screen keeps cycling. Everything works but the navigation. I get the "navigation system is starting up" for about 25 seconds and then a map or the menu for about 2 seconds, and this keeps repeating. I understand from talking with both MnSoft and the dealership that the cd updates are risky. But I wonder if a simple reboot of the system would clear this loop? I already disconnected the negative battery terminal for several minutes to see if that would do it with no luck. I have been into the engineering menu and seen the reset options but don't know what all the codes are for. I really don't want to invest more to have the dealership spend 5 hours to fix this if there is a better way. I am wondering if I should attempt the software reinstall again or bring it into the dealership? What would you do?

Sggray98

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
FYI: Not sure all the models affected but the 13.5 Map Update is a total fail on a 2016 Genesis JogDial. It would not update and after working with support, it was determined to have a software install bug (no kidding) and has been referred back to the manufacturer of the head unit. They did offer my money back or wait for the fix. That's the reason it's no longer listed as available on the map website.

My11Genny

Hasn't posted much yet...
Update, today after two previous tries, I was able to get the update to work. I don't know why it took this time because I followed the directions perfectly each time. It took about 6 hours. I honestly can say I will never do this again for 2 reasons, MnSoft stated they will not be providing any more updates for my car, and frankly it is a pain in the ass. We will get a new car at some point and I will be sure to do my research prior to pulling the trigger. I certainly will not be buying anything associated with MnSoft.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
FYI: Not sure all the models affected but the 13.5 Map Update is a total fail on a 2016 Genesis JogDial. It would not update and after working with support, it was determined to have a software install bug (no kidding) and has been referred back to the manufacturer of the head unit. They did offer my money back or wait for the fix. That's the reason it's no longer listed as available on the map website.
The 13.5 update works on 2015 , however I had to use the included black USB drive and the SD card at the same time so it would update per the instructions. Without the USB drive connected the update tap will be grayed out and unusable. I purchased the SD card, so I do not know how it would work with a download only purchase. You may need the USB drive for it to work.

The SD card and black USB drive

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums