GV70 no in service bay due to " eLSD" service light coming on

TBickell

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
I'm going to hope for the best. Genesis seems to be all over this and the fact that they authorized a complete replacement of the rear differential instead of just doing a flush and fill is at least a sign that they are serious about it. This issue is starting to crop up out there and I would not doubt if there is a full recall or at least a TSB soon. The fact that this cropped up on my vehicle is bad luck. When I went to the dealer yesterday to get some items out of my car they had the whole rear interior pulled apart to get too the differential which I found odd. Who knows if it ever gets put back together correctly. Whatever. It's a lease. They either fix it or give me a new one.

In the meantime they gave me a almost new G80 and I have to say it's impressive even with that 2.5 turbo. I think that is plenty of motor for the GV70. Not as refined as the V6. I'll enjoy driving this "loaner" and will put the miles on that instead of mine. And there will be more than a few of them..

Etex

Registered Member
So sorry to hear this. I would be livid. I don't think you're getting a very good explanation. Calling fluid 'Dirty' seems a poor choice of words. Is it full of metal shavings, chunks of gear teeth, burnt up clutch particles in the e-LSD or burnt hydraulic fluid (or lack of fluids) would have been more descriptive. Secondly, a 2 month estimate is unacceptable. It's unimmaginable that there isn't a replacement part in the US, and shipping via boat wouldn't even take that long. They should Air freight the damn thing. Tearing the rear interior out sounds bizarre, there's a fuse panel behind the side panel in the cargo area if thats what they were looking for. Dropping the rear end unit does not require interior access. Once they remove underpanels, drop driveshaft, drop exhaust, slide CV drive axles out, etc it is held in at 4 mounting points. I'd be screaming at somebody.

Gv70 b_55.jpg

csu87

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So sorry to hear this. I would be livid. I don't think you're getting a very good explanation. Calling fluid 'Dirty' seems a poor choice of words. Is it full of metal shavings, chunks of gear teeth, burnt up clutch particles in the e-LSD or burnt hydraulic fluid (or lack of fluids) would have been more descriptive. Secondly, a 2 month estimate is unacceptable. It's unimmaginable that there isn't a replacement part in the US, and shipping via boat wouldn't even take that long. They should Air freight the damn thing. Tearing the rear interior out sounds bizarre, there's a fuse panel behind the side panel in the cargo area if thats what they were looking for. Dropping the rear end unit does not require interior access. Once they remove underpanels, drop driveshaft, drop exhaust, slide CV drive axles out, etc it is held in at 4 mounting points. I'd be screaming at somebody.

View attachment 39748
unless they expect the ELSD to fail, they arent going to just keep them laying around. Most likely, all parts are allocated to building cars and they need to wait for a new supply of them to show up. With manufacturing shortages around the world globally, its no surprise its a couple months out. Try to order any major component in a new car for any brand and youll see 2 months is a pretty common, if not quick lead time on them.

Davep

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Best of luck with the repair! Glad we got the 3.5T Sport Advanced.

Last edited:

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Two months does seem excessive. Genesis should air ship warranty parts from Korea to the US without an issue. Sea shipments are still honked up with shortages of sea containers and ships still staged at ports waiting to offload causing delays. Can’t see Genesis even thinking about a boat shipment. Could be a modification or revision is in the works to correct whatever is the root cause failure so that is taking some time from the supplier who makes the diff maybe? Be interesting if anyone finds out what component failed or if an assembly error took place and has Genesis corrected that or just obtained a new diff and moved on?

tadre1

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Is this an inhouse made diff?? Since a bunch of there shit is made in house .. to keep costs down.

TBickell

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70

Yes I am close to livid. Especially since my last 8 months has been nothing but mis-placed land mines and i'm sick of it. I appreciate your insight here and I did talk discuss other options with the service advisor like doing a simple flush and fill. I also asked about replacing the "actuator" that someone on the other forum had done. The problem is they reach out to the mothership to see how to handle it and the mothership tells the to replace the whole unit so here we are. She showed me a photo that looked like a top down view of the fluid in the diff and it was black and that's when I guess the tech said " this is not what this should look like after 3000 miles" and here we are.

I have already escalated this to the Genesis customer care hot line ( not what it's called) and they said they are "escalating" it internally whatever that means. I told them how disappointed this is and unacceptable and I will be expecting a credit on my lease if this takes more than two weeks.

As far as the getting of the parts goes I can kind of understand how that could be delayed due to this F'ed up world we now live in. Getting tires is sometimes is difficult these days so getting a brand new part for a brand new vehicle could take some time. It's not helpful that this is happening at this time.

One of the things I am wondering is if this fluid failed because all 3400 of the miles on this car was at temperatures in the plus 100 degree category. It has literally been over 100 degrees every day since I got it. I don't know. All I know is this sucks and I should have lived by my old rule. Never get a 1st run of a brand new model. I thought the Korean aspect would have minimized that but apparently not.

whisk33

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
@TBickell on the bright side you also get to drive around a G80 for a couple months. Switching cars left and right you are!

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Can’t imagine temperature being an issue. Our diffs have 75w-90w gear oil generally. Not sure if LSD take anything special or not? Last time I replaced diff fluid in my Mazda at 50k miles, the fluid was still honey colored and looked new. Put Royal Purple synthetic back in so now I have purple fluid. My G70 has the LSD for it’s the sport model. Be interested to know differences in Genesis LSD between their models?

TBickell

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
@TBickell on the bright side you also get to drive around a G80 for a couple months. Switching cars left and right you are!
Yes and it's a nice ride. RWD and I can get it sideways even with the 2.5 motor. Problem is they say I can't take it out of state. I told them that's a sensible rule for a 1 or 2 week delay but I'm not changing my life and if I need to go to Vegas or wherever then try and stop me !!

Defiant888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
On the bright side, thats 2 months of free lease miles you get use on a long road trip.

TBickell

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Yep but I am not suppose to take it out of state which is BS. Try and stop me.. he he

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I assume their insurance covers in-state use. Your insurance covers use in all areas. If you leave the state you have only your insurance as a coverage. Just a guess.

compuwhiz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Sorry to hear about your problems with the eLSD. I leased a 2020 Grand Cherokee last year, and the rear differential was leaking oil onto my garage floor before I hit 1000 miles on it. Jeep dealer said corporate wanted to replace the whole differential rather than have them try disassembling it and replacing the seal that was improperly installed. Fortunately they received the new one within a few days and got it installed quickly for me.

TBickell

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Just got back from a little 500 mile jaunt through some of the finest scenery in Arizona with the loaner G80 so had a good chance to compare. The one they gave me was a "base" 2.5 RWD so missing a few things but most of the switchgear is similar to the GV70. Maroon red ( or what ever they call it). Very nice car. Great lines. People look and point because no one ever see's them. Genesis needs to step up their marketing quickly.

First of all it's not as nice as the GV70 ( at least my Sport Prestige). It's not because it doesn't have the digital dash ( actually the base instrument cluster is not so bad) or the seats are synthetic( not bad but no cooling stinks). It's just not as premium feeling inside. As far as the ride goes this one is on stock 18" wheels and the ride is very good. The main plus is this thing is whisper quiet at highway speeds. Might be the quietest car I've ever been in. Feels very premium.

Now on to the drive-train. At first I felt the 2.5 was all I would need even if it were in my GV70. It has plenty of power and sounds decent for a 4 banger. That said as I did more miles and higher speed merging the 6 is better. Much smoother and less turbo lag off the line. Power is always there with the 3.5 where the 2.5 has to find it once in awhile. Don't get me wrong it's a good engine but had I to do over again I would still get the 3.5. I want ICE power until they make me plug in my car. Fuel economy is better. Averaging about 25 mpg and got as high as 30 on the highway at 75-85 MPH so I'd say it's a 4-5 mpg delta between the two engines.

I hope to hear some news on my GV70 Monday as far as replacing this rear diff. If I feel the "run-around" starting I will "escalate" in my own way. They don't want to see that side of me... trust me.
Yes I took a chance on an all new vehicle but I went Genesis instead of BMW to avoid this kind of issue and here we are.

Davep

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Just got back from a little 500 mile jaunt through some of the finest scenery in Arizona with the loaner G80 so had a good chance to compare. The one they gave me was a "base" 2.5 RWD so missing a few things but most of the switchgear is similar to the GV70. Maroon red ( or what ever they call it). Very nice car. Great lines. People look and point because no one ever see's them. Genesis needs to step up their marketing quickly.

First of all it's not as nice as the GV70 ( at least my Sport Prestige). It's not because it doesn't have the digital dash ( actually the base instrument cluster is not so bad) or the seats are synthetic( not bad but no cooling stinks). It's just not as premium feeling inside. As far as the ride goes this one is on stock 18" wheels and the ride is very good. The main plus is this thing is whisper quiet at highway speeds. Might be the quietest car I've ever been in. Feels very premium.

Now on to the drive-train. At first I felt the 2.5 was all I would need even if it were in my GV70. It has plenty of power and sounds decent for a 4 banger. That said as I did more miles and higher speed merging the 6 is better. Much smoother and less turbo lag off the line. Power is always there with the 3.5 where the 2.5 has to find it once in awhile. Don't get me wrong it's a good engine but had I to do over again I would still get the 3.5. I want ICE power until they make me plug in my car. Fuel economy is better. Averaging about 25 mpg and got as high as 30 on the highway at 75-85 MPH so I'd say it's a 4-5 mpg delta between the two engines.

I hope to hear some news on my GV70 Monday as far as replacing this rear diff. If I feel the "run-around" starting I will "escalate" in my own way. They don't want to see that side of me... trust me.
Yes I took a chance on an all new vehicle but I went Genesis instead of BMW to avoid this kind of issue and here we are.
I have little doubt Genesis will stand behind this and do whatever it takes to fix the issue.

TBickell

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
A quick Arizona lemon law search indicates leased cars do not apply. Strange exemption, but I guess since in a lease you aren't really the owner, no owner protections should apply.
Not totally true. If the car is in dry dock at the dealership for more that 21 days with no fix in Arizona it's buy back time. I've been on with Genesis corporate 3 times now. They are " escalating this" but it's all a matter of getting the part. The recommended repair from Genesis was to replace the whole eLSD and that's where it is at. They trouble shot it and it was not the actuator. The fluid was dark with traces of metal and that is no bueno so it's one of those very unfortunate things and needless to say I am not a happy camper. I have to believe they are as on it as they can be as this is the money car for them and they don't want bad news out there. This Corona panic/covid/ chip/shipping nightmare is the fall back and it's a real issue. Right now there are 63 container ships floating off the California coast and it's a nightmare. Thanks China.

TBickell

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
I have the same thing happening with the limited slip differential. I only have 900 miles on the car. I had the error happen once right after I got the car. Then nothing for a long time. Thursday morning I drove a lot and nothing. That afternoon when the air temp got into the 90s the error came up all the time. The next day in the cool of the morning...no problems. When the temp rose into the 90s again in the afternoon, not only did I get the error, but there was severe jerking/hesitation at 50mph. I immediately came back home. I have an appointment, but the earliest was the 21st. When I find out something I'll let everyone know.
Let us know what they say. Mine is shut down until they can get a new rear end. Not good

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Not totally true. If the car is in dry dock at the dealership for more that 21 days with no fix in Arizona it's buy back time. I've been on with Genesis corporate 3 times now. They are " escalating this" but it's all a matter of getting the part. The recommended repair from Genesis was to replace the whole eLSD and that's where it is at. They trouble shot it and it was not the actuator. The fluid was dark with traces of metal and that is no bueno so it's one of those very unfortunate things and needless to say I am not a happy camper. I have to believe they are as on it as they can be as this is the money car for them and they don't want bad news out there. This Corona panic/covid/ chip/shipping nightmare is the fall back and it's a real issue. Right now there are 63 container ships floating off the California coast and it's a nightmare. Thanks China.
not totally true, but generally true. Check the video below:

From this site:

The best solution would be to pull a differential off a new unsold GV70 and get you back on the road, then install the eventual replacement in the donor car. I've heard of a few rare cases where dealers/manufactures pulled this to avoid a buy-back on a hard to source part.

Good luck

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners