GV80 check engine light

Jn49

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
My wife and I are in Wells Nevada and the check engine light came on. After arriving at our motel I ran the vehicle self diagnostics and everything said normal. Called the concierge and of course at 515 pm all the technicians that could possibly help me have gone home for the evening. The vehicle has less than 3000 miles on it. HELP! Any ideas?

stevez

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
My wife and I are in Wells Nevada and the check engine light came on. After arriving at our motel I ran the vehicle self diagnostics and everything said normal. Called the concierge and of course at 515 pm all the technicians that could possibly help me have gone home for the evening. The vehicle has less than 3000 miles on it. HELP! Any ideas?
Happened to me. Service advisor said ok to drive if light not flashing. When codes were later run they said gas cap was not tight. Was sceptical but 6 months later no repeat.

G-582844

Happened to me. Service advisor said ok to drive if light not flashing. When codes were later run they said gas cap was not tight. Was sceptical but 6 months later no repeat.
It’s not flashing, so that’s a big help. Thanks for the reply

SGilbert

Registered Member
South Bend, IN
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Loose gas cap, high altitudes, and less than top tier gas can cause this. No need to worry right now.

Orzel

Registered Member
Blaine, Washington
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Had similar going through central NV, diagnostics said all OK, then called concierge they ran diagnostics remotely, no issues found. Was told to drive on unless flashing (as above). Light went out when we got to lower altitudes. Happened at least 3 more times on the same road trip, all at higher altitudes. 10k miles later, have not had repeat, and have driven same routes. You should be OK.

ctrcbob

Been here awhile...
Mount Dora FL; Penfield NY; Roswell NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Had that happen to me once. Turned out it was a LOOSE GAS CAP. I now make doubly sure I feel the “click” when installing gas cap.

Jn49

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
After checking with the concierge I determined it was safe to drive and the light went out As of yesterday. Ran self diagnostics again and the fault went away. I’m wondering if the attitude and the gas were factors as one person mentioned. I filled up with premium in Lovelock at the last gas station on the east side of town. The station wasnt a brand name and was obviously locally owned and not the best kept place in town. I was heading east to the higher altitudes

DaleNet

Registered Member
Niceville, Florida
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
It was probably the altitude change. It takes a while for the computer to adjust the fuel air ratio when the altitude changes. You are probably OK.

jjl256

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
@Orzel Interesting... mine did the same thing today. I was driving back from Reno to Sacramento, and just after summit, the check engine light went on. Not flashing... It stayed on all the way to Sacramento (near sea level). How long did it take before the light went off in your case?

I called connected services and they said it was ok to drive and tried to schedule a service appt for it (and that is out 3 weeks!)

Jn49

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
@Orzel Interesting... mine did the same thing today. I was driving back from Reno to Sacramento, and just after summit, the check engine light went on. Not flashing... It stayed on all the way to Sacramento (near sea level). How long did it take before the light went off in your case?

I called connected services and they said it was ok to drive and tried to schedule a service appt for it (and that is out 3 weeks!)
We drove from Wells to Twin falls the filling day and the light went out when we stopped for lunch along the way.

DaleNet

Registered Member
Niceville, Florida
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
On your trips, is there a large altitude change? If so, you can get the check engine light. It clears once the ECU finally adjusts to this altitude change.

jjl256

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
On your trips, is there a large altitude change? If so, you can get the check engine light. It clears once the ECU finally adjusts to this altitude change.
For me the trip started at about 15' above sea level to I80 summit over Sierras at ~7300' down to Reno at about 4500'. No problems going over, only came on when going back home. Note, was on same tank of gas. Also, on the Genesis app I can see:

1659486082686.png

I did search, on the DCT code : Code P2096 stands for “Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean (Bank 1)”

Orzel

Registered Member
Blaine, Washington
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80

Took a few hours of driving. Actually we were at a rest stop, got out stretched while the "Navigator" went and powdered her nose. When we started back up, within minutes is went out and hasn't been back on since. We're preparing for a 3k+ road trip and will be going from sea level to over 10k feet. Will be interesting to se if the light comes back on. BTW we just hit 14k miles on the GV and prior to our trip will be going in for service.

jjl256

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Took a few hours of driving. Actually we were at a rest stop, got out stretched while the "Navigator" went and powdered her nose. When we started back up, within minutes is went out and hasn't been back on since. We're preparing for a 3k+ road trip and will be going from sea level to over 10k feet. Will be interesting to se if the light comes back on. BTW we just hit 14k miles on the GV and prior to our trip will be going in for service.
Thanks... mine has still not gone out after getting back down to near sea level. Cant get service appt until Sept. Crazy

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

jjl256

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
@Jn49 How did you run self diagnostics? Are you talking about the health report on MyGenesis? Thanks

PEB III

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
There are several posts here about the seeming allergies GenesisGV80's have to Nevada (and probably a few other places') gas. In particular, the gas you buy isolated desert outposts with names like "Don's U-Save Discount Den: Cheapest Gas, Gals and Guns Anywhere!". The gas itself is is usually fine, but it is usually a mixture of partial loads made up from the 5-10% of gasoline often left in the delivery truck's tank after topping off a name brand gas station. Some of that pizzle may also contain too much ethanol. The sausage mix of gas sold at Don's is priced to move, like the equally satisfactory discounted bottles in the end-of-bin section of your corner wine store. The mixture of differently compounded gasolines confuses the emission control system, and the idiot light make you think something terrible is happening to your car..
A few tankfuls of unadulterated high octane name brand gas with maybe a bottle or two of of Techron mixed in, and all is well within 1,000 miles.

jjl256

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
There are several posts here about the seeming allergies GenesisGV80's have to Nevada (and probably a few other places') gas. In particular, the gas you buy isolated desert outposts with names like "Don's U-Save Discount Den: Cheapest Gas, Gals and Guns Anywhere!". The gas itself is is usually fine, but it is usually a mixture of partial loads made up from the 5-10% of gasoline often left in the delivery truck's tank after topping off a name brand gas station. Some of that pizzle may also contain too much ethanol. The sausage mix of gas sold at Don's is priced to move, like the equally satisfactory discounted bottles in the end-of-bin section of your corner wine store. The mixture of differently compounded gasolines confuses the emission control system, and the idiot light make you think something terrible is happening to your car..
A few tankfuls of unadulterated high octane name brand gas with maybe a bottle or two of of Techron mixed in, and all is well within 1,000 miles.
I would suspect that as well, but I filled up at Chevron in CA, never had to fill up in NV. However, the good news is, the diag code cleared itself sometime last night. It does show in my history, but currently no open codes. Still gonna have the dealer check it out since I already have the appt, and the concierge did say I should bring it in