GV80 Dealer Pricing

rjabend

Registered Member
GV80s have started to arrive at dealers in my area, but they are asking $5K over invoice and selling within hours of dealer arrival. I am ready to buy today, but It looks like I will wait a while. I took a look at a couple of GV80s today and they are impressive, but not that impressive.

Last edited:

Backslack

Registered Member
asking $16K over invoice and selling within hours of dealer arrival.
First part had my eyebrows raised, second part had my jaw drop. This is getting absurd.

The one good thing we can take from these anecdotes is that the people who buy the GV80 don't do so because they care about value- they're buying it because they consider it on par if not better than the comparable Germans.

JMB

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
GV80s have started to arrive at dealers in my area, but they are asking $16K over invoice and selling within hours of dealer arrival. I am ready to buy today, but It looks like I will wait a while. I took a look at a couple of GV80s today and they are impressive, but not that impressive.
Thanks for posting..I have a deposit one GV80 Prestige..expected 2 weeks..in my area..
Guess I will talking with manager.
I have looked and found Audis..austere..not as comfortable.
BMWX5 x40 is my back up..more agile..but complicated technology..and interior is disappointing for a "luxury class sedan"...
Good luck..

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
GV80s have started to arrive at dealers in my area, but they are asking $16K over invoice and selling within hours of dealer arrival. I am ready to buy today, but It looks like I will wait a while. I took a look at a couple of GV80s today and they are impressive, but not that impressive.
Sounds like a hefty markup but what is the invoice price compared to the sticker price? I'm guessing the 16K takes it over sticker?

wbwynn

Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Not seeing that kind of premium in NC

stakenborg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Local central florida dealer adding $2800 in dealer installed options (BS) then adding another $10,000 market adjustment markup, I'm buying but waiting until the rose id off the bloom. Genesis trying hard to be seen as a true competitor to the Germans but should put a stop to this kind of dealer price gouging.

JMB

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Local central florida dealer adding $2800 in dealer installed options (BS) then adding another $10,000 market adjustment markup, I'm buying but waiting until the rose id off the bloom. Genesis trying hard to be seen as a true competitor to the Germans but should put a stop to this kind of dealer price gougin
Local central florida dealer adding $2800 in dealer installed options (BS) then adding another $10,000 market adjustment markup, I'm buying but waiting until the rose id off the bloom. Genesis trying hard to be seen as a true competitor to the Germans but should put a stop to this kind of dealer price gouging.
Thanks for the feedback!..I will walk too if dealer adds markup..how to further deteriorate GV80 sales given tje year long delay !

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Ouch! that is a lot of add ons even before the markup. Unfortunately, in the US that car makes have no control over dealer markup. Florida dealers even took Hyundai/Genesis to court when they wanted to go to dedicated dealerships.

I read that the new C-8 Corvette is marked up as much as $25k

I like the new G80 but will wait until the discounts kick in if I do decide to get one.

stakenborg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Ouch! that is a lot of add ons even before the markup. Unfortunately, in the US that car makes have no control over dealer markup. Florida dealers even took Hyundai/Genesis to court when they wanted to go to dedicated dealerships.

I read that the new C-8 Corvette is marked up as much as $25k

I like the new G80 but will wait until the discounts kick in if I do decide to get one.
I purchased a new loaded 2015 C7 for $82000 and it’s transmission fell out of it at 7000 miles,that cured me instantly no more Chevy’s
Shopping for a Prestige but not paying any dealer markups so I’ll wait but even at MSRP the GV80 is an excellent value and I’m leaving the Germans this time round. I also have a 2012 Hyundai Genesis RSpec, it’s been an absolutely fabulous vehicle with no issues whatsoever and at 429HP it’s a hoot to drive.

Unprocessed1

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Any expectations for how long it will take until dealers will stop marking up the GV80 and there will be ample stock?

stakenborg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Honestly looking at the market today, there's already plenty of GV80 inventory at dealerships in most markets so perhaps a $1000 or so below MSRP isn't unreasonable to expect today and that's what I looking for before I'll buy. I'm also not convinced the $6000 premium for the Prestige is worth it so going for the Advanced plus, the 3rd row seats although small and probably seldom used is nice to have and will make this model more desirable on the used car market.

dapribek

Registered Member
Honestly looking at the market today, there's already plenty of GV80 inventory at dealerships in most markets so perhaps a $1000 or so below MSRP isn't unreasonable to expect today and that's what I looking for before I'll buy. I'm also not convinced the $6000 premium for the Prestige is worth it so going for the Advanced plus, the 3rd row seats although small and probably seldom used is nice to have and will make this model more desirable on the used car market.
Hi, did you know that the 3 row Advance has no spare tire?

Backslack

Registered Member
Hi, did you know that the 3 row Advance has no spare tire?
The Prestige doesn't either.

As for the mark-ups, they're not going away anytime soon. There's like only 500 GV80's for sale in the U.S. currently, while the X5 alone has over 4,000 listed 2021 units. Forget about having any sort of discount.

Last edited:

stakenborg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Many cars today have eliminated the spare tire, not that big a deal really, when is the last time you had a flat that actually stranded you?
My thoughts are that if there are any unsold cars on a dealers lot, there's pressure to move inventory. The claim that there were over 4000 pre orders sold would suggest that no cars would be available on dealers lots and that there would be a long waiting list, clearly that's not the case.
Comparing Genesis to BMW sales is an apples to oranges deal, most people are not even aware of the Genesis brand and certainly don't associate it as a luxury competitor to BMW. It'll take a few years for the Koreans to make,significant inroads into the German luxury segment but is the G80, G90 and GV80 a great step forward? Absolutely. Then again I might be wrong!

2021GCSGV80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
My thoughts are that if there are any unsold cars on a dealers lot, there's pressure to move inventory. The claim that there were over 4000 pre orders sold would suggest that no cars would be available on dealers lots and that there would be a long waiting list, clearly that's not the case.
I think the cars coming in, at least to my dealer are one for the dealer, then one pre-ordered, then one for the dealer and so on, so that they have some cars to show. If they were just filling pre-orders they would never get to show or test drive the cars. I do know my dealer is waiting on a pre-order but has gotten mine and two for the dealer so far.

Speeder

Registered Member
Quinton, NJ
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Which of these Dealers is gouging?

1608826845879.png

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Many cars today have eliminated the spare tire, not that big a deal really, when is the last time you had a flat that actually stranded you?
December 2014. Gash in sidewall, Cold, light rain, dark, tire dealers closed. With no spare I'd not be driving home. 30 miles from home.
Last flat was 2018 but I was able to have road service inflate it to get me to a repair shop. 800 miles from home.
I like a spare.

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Wonder how Costco pricing is on GV80s? When I first started shopping for G70s when they first hit I had several dealers crawling all over each other with discounted offers for me. This was when G70s first were hitting dealer lots. I ended up using Circle A and waited for next model year to come out since 2019 G70s had been aging at port for 6 months. Would be interesting if Costco can get you below MSRP on GV80s or not?

smiley47

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Cave Creek, Arizona
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Wonder how Costco pricing is on GV80s? When I first started shopping for G70s when they first hit I had several dealers crawling all over each other with discounted offers for me. This was when G70s first were hitting dealer lots. I ended up using Circle A and waited for next model year to come out since 2019 G70s had been aging at port for 6 months. Would be interesting if Costco can get you below MSRP on GV80s or not?
The dealer I'm in contact with on the Costco program is being conspicuously quiet. They responded quickly but said they'd have one in the next week and would get back to me. That was 2 weeks ago. I know they've had several which could have been pre-sold. I'm just assuming they don't want to talk about any Costco discount.

stakenborg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Which of these Dealers is gouging?

View attachment 33652
Any amount the dealer advertises or asks over the window sticker MSRP is gouging, Also watch dealer installed add-ons and the “market adjustment” scam. Dealers make between $4000 to $5000 profit if they sell at MSRP. Always ask to see the window sticker and most good dealers will and also directly to their web site, when they don’t or won’t, somethings fishy in Denmark!
Part of the problem is many dealers have the Hyundai mentality which is not the best when trying to promote and introduce a new premium luxury brand

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums