GV80 Dealer Pricing

Backslack

Registered Member
My thoughts are that if there are any unsold cars on a dealers lot, there's pressure to move inventory. The claim that there were over 4000 pre orders sold would suggest that no cars would be available on dealers lots and that there would be a long waiting list, clearly that's not the case.
That's wrong, there were over 20,000 preorders. So far there's only 500 listed for sale. That is a tiny number. Obviously they haven't even built 20,000 GV80's yet, but the price gouging is happening because demand far exceeds supply.

stakenborg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
That's wrong, there were over 20,000 preorders. So far there's only 500 listed for sale. That is a tiny number. Obviously they haven't even built 20,000 GV80's yet, but the price gouging is happening because demand far exceeds supply.
So there are GV80’s for sale on dealer’s lots all over the place and they’re answering inquiries because why? If they’ve all been pre sold there’s nothing to buy only orders to take for future deliveries?

Backslack

Registered Member
So there are GV80’s for sale on dealer’s lots all over the place and they’re answering inquiries because why? If they’ve all been pre sold there’s nothing to buy only orders to take for future deliveries?
500 is far from "all over the place." There's over 4000 X5's for sale. You're arguing against the basic rules of supply and demand here. If there were plenty of GV80s available for sale, there wouldn't be price inflation on almost every model being sold.

And no, a reservation does not guarantee that someone will buy the vehicle. That's entirely at the discretion of the dealership, who can slap whatever markups they want and sell it to whomever they please.

rjabend

Registered Member
In Florida, there have been quite a few GV80s for sale outside preorders, but they typically move fairly quickly. It seems like the supply is increasing, and I don't mind waiting for reasonable pricing. There is a benefit to seeing what issues there are before taking the plunge.

mistersteve

Registered Member
FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I didn't preorder my GV80 Advanced. I just drove into the dealership, saw the car, and bought it.

Speeder

Registered Member
Quinton, NJ
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
In Florida, there have been quite a few GV80s for sale outside preorders, but they typically move fairly quickly. It seems like the supply is increasing, and I don't mind waiting for reasonable pricing. There is a benefit to seeing what issues there are before taking the plunge.
It would appear that Genesis is just making GV80's and when one shows up at the dealer and is equipped like you want, it's yours. I don't think the dealers have much oversight on what they receive although once the vehicles are at the Dealer, they can trade with other dealers. When i bought my G80, i actually found my car at another Dealer and then a trade was made. My dealer was only able to tell me the number of vehicles scheduled for his shop.

Backslack

Registered Member
If something is in limited supply, it will be "available" if you pay the price for it. Hence the markups.

To pretend that there's a lot of GV80s out there that aren't selling and should be discounted is simply a nonsensical fantasy in this current situation. There are far more Tellurides and Palisades being sold right now than GV80s, yet many of them are still selling at or slightly above MSRP even though it's been a year since they came out.

jimmak

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
In our area (San Diego) Prestige models have been few and far between. Were lucky to get ours last week, They originally were asking a $2500 "market adjustment" as well as $2290 for an alarm system and sealants. Due to some communication failures on the dealer's part we were able to reach and agreement to pay MSRP and take the totally over priced alarm system for and additional $1250, I'm glad I took the deal, another dealer was asking $7500 over list. They all seem to like to add the alarm -- it is a very high profit item. I've read their cost is less than $300.

The last time I looked on line, there were no Prestige models for sale at the four dealers in our area.

Someone mentioned Palm Springs -- I happen to look their when they first began arriving. They had a Prestige listed for $10,000 over list. The salesperson followed up with me the other day, I asked him is they actually got the $10,000, he told me no, they lowered it to list price. They may still have loaded it up with alarms and sealants and other dealer moneymakers.

I've been waiting for my "retirement car" since the GV80 concept was first shown. I am happy with my deal and glad I can stop stressing about finding one and going through the sales process. I know if I waited, I could have done better, but life is short.

stakenborg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Good on you and enjoy. I’m still working a deal in Florida where sanity seems to have finally arrived at MSRP pretty much standard now and even a few less then that but getting the right color combo and model is difficult

JMB

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
In our area (San Diego) Prestige models have been few and far between. Were lucky to get ours last week, They originally were asking a $2500 "market adjustment" as well as $2290 for an alarm system and sealants. Due to some communication failures on the dealer's part we were able to reach and agreement to pay MSRP and take the totally over priced alarm system for and additional $1250, I'm glad I took the deal, another dealer was asking $7500 over list. They all seem to like to add the alarm -- it is a very high profit item. I've read their cost is less than $300.

The last time I looked on line, there were no Prestige models for sale at the four dealers in our area.

Someone mentioned Palm Springs -- I happen to look their when they first began arriving. They had a Prestige listed for $10,000 over list. The salesperson followed up with me the other day, I asked him is they actually got the $10,000, he told me no, they lowered it to list price. They may still have loaded it up with alarms and sealants and other dealer moneymakers.

I've been waiting for my "retirement car" since the GV80 concept was first shown. I am happy with my deal and glad I can stop stressing about finding one and going through the sales process. I know if I waited, I could have done better, but life is short.
Thanks for posting and the info. I did not realize the GV80 lacked an alarm system!...
Another item to discuss...dealer says early Janury for my "retirement" SUV.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thanks for posting and the info. I did not realize the GV80 lacked an alarm system!...
It may have an alarm. Some of the aftermarket alarms are more sophisticated with motions sensors and stuff. Just because the dealer adds something don't assume there is nothing. It is a money making opportunity for the dealer.

The professional thief will still get your car. Most alarms just stop the 12 year olds from a joy ride.

2021GCSGV80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
The GV80 does have an alarm. I believe it even has proximity sensors because I don’t lock my car in the garage and every time someone walks by it I get a notification that my doors are unlocked And I’m asked if I want to lock them remotely.

jimmak

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
The alarm manufacturer the dealers seem to use around here is made by KARR. The alarm itself is called SWATT. If you go to KARR"S website you'll see there motto is "Revenue Redefined" That says it all -- It is a total ripoff product,.

I am still trying to figure out "Genesis Connected Service", but I think it may do everything the aftermarket unit does. I'm not terribly worried about theft, since my cars are always garaged, except on a trip.

When the 3 year contract for the alarm, I was required to buy runs out, I'm sure I will not be renewing it.

But at least I have my GV80!!!!!

2021GCSGV80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I know it also has recovery services. Where they work with police to disable and locate the car. It will also record events but you don’t have access to that information. It’s given to the police in the case of theft or damage. They also will disable the owners ability to locate the car in the case of theft to keep you from going after the car yourself. They don’t want owners getting into confrontations.

lutzb0y

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
In the Tesla context a preorder requires a deposit. And Ofcourse Tesla does zero advertising. Are we saying that 20k people have placed deposits for the GV80 or have just shown interest? If it’s the latter I doubt that they will all wait for that long given that the total genesis gv80 capacity assigned to the US for 2021 is 11k (atleast that’s what the local san Jose dealer told me)

When you preorder a Tesla you are given a clear date when to expect the vehicle and updates if there are any changes and you can track all this online. In my view any legitimate “Pre Order” program should support this as a basic courtesy to trusting customers. Genesis is doing none of that. I dont think they can since the dealers basically decide what to do and will sell To the highest bidder first and not to anyone in any waiting list.

I’m observing as others have said that you essentially have hyundai dealers now selling luxury cars without the wherewithal and genesis backing to properly do it. Especially now they have a fantastic (best in class by the many reviews ) challenger to the BMW X5, the GLE I think they need to improve their dealer service.

Last edited:

lutzb0y

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
It definitely has a security system. See this link which I’m assuming is accurate.

“The vehicle is equipped with a means of anticipating and/or detecting unwanted vehicle intrusion. The vehicle is equipped with an ignition disable device that will prevent the engine from starting if the correct original manufacturer key is not used.”

important to note that for connected vehicles like the GV80 recovery systems provided by third parties are redundant. With your app you will be able to locate where your car is at any time. I have had all these basic table stakes features on my Tesla for more than 6 years now.

lutzb0y

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
500 is far from "all over the place." There's over 4000 X5's for sale. You're arguing against the basic rules of supply and demand here. If there were plenty of GV80s available for sale, there wouldn't be price inflation on almost every model being sold.

And no, a reservation does not guarantee that someone will buy the vehicle. That's entirely at the discretion of the dealership, who can slap whatever markups they want and sell it to whomever they please.
Yes I agree with that. Supply is low so dealers are Ofcourse going to use that to their advantage. Hopefully By Q2 the supply situation eases and the smart money will wait.

Backslack

Registered Member
In the Tesla context a preorder requires a deposit. And Ofcourse Tesla does zero advertising. Are we saying that 20k people have placed deposits for the GV80 or have just shown interest? If it’s the latter I doubt that they will all wait for that long given that the total genesis gv80 capacity assigned to the US for 2021 is 11k (atleast that’s what the local san Jose dealer told me)
The preorders are run by dealerships, and pretty much all of them demand a deposit. How much that deposit is varies from dealer to dealer, though most members here have been quoting around $2-5K.

I'm not sure where your dealer gets his info, but in the past two months there have already been around 7K GV80s shipped worldwide, most of them to the U.S. The annual production capacity will be far greater than 11k. That there's so few GV80s currently available for sale reflects how quickly they're selling.

stakenborg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
No matter how you slice it there are plenty of GV80s now showing up and sitting on dealers lots,15 at one South Florida dealer alone and not all pre sold. I visited a local dealer yesterday and had a choice of three right there, no pre order necessary but my dealer wants $4000 over MSRP and I won’t pay that so walked out, happy to wait for the right color combo and at MSRP but availability is there no doubt. When inventory stops moving in a week off dealers lots as will happen as more units hit dealers, reasonable deals will return.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums