jimmak

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Im quite willing to let the police find my car. 😀

I love it, but its just a car.

Backslack

Registered Member
No matter how you slice it there are plenty of GV80s now showing up and sitting on dealers lots,15 at one South Florida dealer alone and not all pre sold. I visited a local dealer yesterday and had a choice of three right there, no pre order necessary but my dealer wants $4000 over MSRP and I won’t pay that so walked out, happy to wait for the right color combo and at MSRP but availability is there no doubt. When inventory stops moving in a week off dealers lots as will happen as more units hit dealers, reasonable deals will return.
Your anecdote doesn't change the fact that there are currently only 700 GV80s listed for sale in the entire country. That is far from "plenty." That your dealer is still charging over MSRP reflects the limited supply.

jimmak

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I just looked on line -- of the four dealers in the San Diego area, the dealers websites show 8 total GV80s and only one Prestige model.

2021GCSGV80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Some of the ones online might not be available. I know when my car came in it was scanned by the dealership and it auto populated it to the web site even though the car was already sold. Just because it's on their site they might either not have it yet and they are feeding the VINs once they get them into their web site inventory, or it's already spoken for.

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
My nearest dealer has listed these at for sale at MSRP, and stock has not been selling quickly even at that price. A few weeks ago they had 4 listed for walk-in sales. I was on their preorder interested list via the Genesis.com web site (they did not ask for a deposit, and I did not officially request a pre-order either). I got a call when these 4 came in. fast forward to today, about 3 weeks alter, they still have 2 of them, and still listed at MSRP.

They aren't selling fast, nor being price gouged in all markets. Other dealers not far from me are also all at MSRP, and don't seem to be moving stock at a quick pace.

Gen1GV80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Bought my GV80 on November 25th for 5k over sticker. There were 3 other people trying to buy the car while I was there.

ckon

Registered Member
SE Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
My nearest dealer has listed these at for sale at MSRP, and stock has not been selling quickly even at that price. A few weeks ago they had 4 listed for walk-in sales. I was on their preorder interested list via the Genesis.com web site (they did not ask for a deposit, and I did not officially request a pre-order either). I got a call when these 4 came in. fast forward to today, about 3 weeks alter, they still have 2 of them, and still listed at MSRP.

They aren't selling fast, nor being price gouged in all markets. Other dealers not far from me are also all at MSRP, and don't seem to be moving stock at a quick pace.
I'm curious about any that aren't selling. Do you know if it's any particular models that aren't moving off the lot? TIA.

stakenborg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Genesis has a tough job ahead of it trying to establish a premium luxury brand, going up against Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Porsche etc to say nothing of Cadillac, Lincoln, Volvo etc. Brand identity is important to many/most folks who pay $70,000 + for a car and the fact that not many in the general public have even heard of Genesis, doesn't help. Add to this that most dealers selling the Genesis PREMIUM brand are Hyundai dealers which in my option, is a mistake that sends the wrong message and represents the wrong image. Brand mixing doesn't work for Lexus/Toyota, Infinity/Nissan, Audi/Porche/Volkswagen, Acura/Honda nor Cadillac and Lincoln from their mother companies either. You have a different market, a different customer and we expect a different dealership experience. What does this mean? As good as the GV80 and G80/90 are and they are very very good, that's not the only thing that motivates people to buy an off brand car, lot's of interests, lots of accolades but parting with your cash ow that another matter entirely. Those that need to be first and don't care about the above issues and just love the car for what it is and represents, pay a premium early on but also take a larger depreciation hit when trade in time comes around and that's always true with any make and any new model. Genesis should also step in and try to prevent price gouging, it's hurting the Genesis brand rollout and all they're trying to achieve and I'm a perfect example, I will not pay over MSRP and in fact would like to see a few thousand under to make me open my wallet. If that isn't possible very soon, I'm going back to Audi.

2021GCSGV80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I came from Mercedes to the Genesis, the reason is that before my Mercedes I had a Hyundai Santa Fe (Hyundai was just 4 years old when I bought that car). Loved the car, had it 10 years and never had it in the shop other than oil changes. The only thing I did to it in 10 years was a new battery and new tires (dry rot). So for me the only reason I went to Mercedes in the first place was that Genesis didn't have an SUV. When I heard they were coming out with one I ran to the nearest dealer to check it out. My Hyundai was the only car in my life that I could say these things about. While my Mercedes was nice, I don't feel I was treated any differently at the Mercedes dealership than I was at Hyundai. As a matter of fact I felt like I was treated less nice by the salesman that sold me my Mercedes and swore I'd never buy another one as long as he was at the dealership. I leased it first and when they didn't offer the color I wanted any longer I purchased the car at the end of my lease. I know, not smart but I really liked it. I had made an appointment to come in and buy the car. When I got there 10 minutes before my appointment he was with another couple and asked us to wait in the waiting room. So we did. 1/2 an hour later I got up to see if he forgot about us and was told he went to lunch. Now wouldn't it have been nice for us to go get something to eat while he was doing that? Well, yes it would have been. When he got back an hour later there was no apology, nothing. So had I not already owned the car I would have walked out long before that. I'd never been treated that poorly at any dealership. So high priced car dealers don't really treat you any better. They might have more comfortable chairs to sit in, but you are probably sitting next to someone that purchased a 15 year old used Mercedes for $10,000. So there's no status in the waiting room. Not that I want any. But just trying to say that it doesn't matter where you are sitting, it matters how they treat you. Oh and I had to ask for my Mercedes VIP card just to get a bottle of water from the sometimes open snack bar. They never gave me one either when I leased the car or when I purchased it. So after 17 years from my first Hyundai I am able to spend more on a car, thankfully. And I ran back to Hyundai and Genesis as fast as I could.

stakenborg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
No question the Hyundai/Genesis brand is great, just look at the new Genesis models as well as the Telluride and Palisade, all top in quality etc etc but Hyundai generally is at a different price point and appeals to a different audience. For Genesis it's all about building an image, a perception, a quality brand identity. That you've had a so so experience at Mercedes and a better experience at Hyundai isn't a shock to me but for most luxury brand buyers, the Hyundai dealership environment is the wrong venue, then again I may be wrong.

Gurgeh

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Genesis has a tough job ahead of it trying to establish a premium luxury brand, going up against Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Porsche etc to say nothing of Cadillac, Lincoln, Volvo etc. Brand identity is important to many/most folks who pay $70,000 + for a car and the fact that not many in the general public have even heard of Genesis, doesn't help. Add to this that most dealers selling the Genesis PREMIUM brand are Hyundai dealers which in my option, is a mistake that sends the wrong message and represents the wrong image. Brand mixing doesn't work for Lexus/Toyota, Infinity/Nissan, Audi/Porche/Volkswagen, Acura/Honda nor Cadillac and Lincoln from their mother companies either. You have a different market, a different customer and we expect a different dealership experience. What does this mean? As good as the GV80 and G80/90 are and they are very very good, that's not the only thing that motivates people to buy an off brand car, lot's of interests, lots of accolades but parting with your cash ow that another matter entirely.
Lincoln has this same problem. Virtually all other premium brands from automakers that also produce mass-market vehicles (Lexus, Audi, Cadillac, Porsche, Acura, Infiniti) sell exclusively through stand-alone dealerships, and for good reason. Most, but not all, Lincoln dealerships are combined Ford/Lincoln stores (this goes back to when FMC shut down its Mercury brand a decade ago, which led to a widespread merger between Ford and Lincoln dealerships). This comingling has proved to be a significant impediment as Lincoln tries to reestablish itself as a major competitor in luxury auto sales, which is why FMC is now pressing hard to gets dealers to set up more Lincoln-only stores.

Which is also why the kind of resistance described in the article below by Hyundai dealers to Genesis' own efforts to incentivize the establishment of stand-alone Genesis stores is so unfortunate. See: Hyundai faces suit in US for coercing Genesis showroom

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I'm curious about any that aren't selling. Do you know if it's any particular models that aren't moving off the lot? TIA.
the dealer that I've been watching had 2 that were fully optioned and 2 that were mid level trim. The fully optioned models (both 3.5T prestige) were gone in a few days, the mid and lower level ones (2.5T prestige and 2.5T advanced) are still there as of this morning. this dealer tends to have long sale times on lower trim, something about this market I suppose. May also be that they are not big and don't attract shoppers that aren't already looking for Genesis.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
No question the Hyundai/Genesis brand is great, just look at the new Genesis models as well as the Telluride and Palisade, all top in quality etc etc but Hyundai generally is at a different price point and appeals to a different audience. For Genesis it's all about building an image, a perception, a quality brand identity. That you've had a so so experience at Mercedes and a better experience at Hyundai isn't a shock to me but for most luxury brand buyers, the Hyundai dealership environment is the wrong venue, then again I may be wrong.
Genesis has been trying to build the image and have stand alone dealers but the existing dealers have gone to legal battles. It is not a good situation. Will take a long time to get the image they really want.

I sort of chuckle when I see some people way they don't like the dealer experience and will go back to brand X. Fine, but is it a good value? If you look at the mass of parts and style you are buying, is it worth paying $10,000 more because the service department has better coffee? Sure, some Hyundai dealer stories are terrible but some are pretty good.

If you think you are getting a better car with another brand then go for it. If you think they are on par with each other, I look hard at saving a lot of money. We all have some built in prejudices too. There are a few brands I won't buy because of my perception of them.

Add to all of that, car buying in general is not a very sensible thing. If it was, we'd all be driving used Camrys and the like. None of us truly need the things we have for transportation, but we sure like them.

2021GCSGV80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80

I think if you are a previous Hyundai Owner it's not a far leap to go to Genesis now that they have an SUV. So those are the people that would be an easy sell for Genesis. I'm sure there are a lot of previous Hyundai owners that went the way of luxury cars when the Hyundai line wasn't quite enough that would be happy to come back to them. But if you have been a luxury buyer your whole life it might be a harder sell. I still feel I got a good deal, better than I would have with half the tech in a new Mercedes.

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Prior to buying my Genesis G70 I visited the two local dealers twice and the difference was significant. At one dealer I was a number, a walk-in who took the next new hire salesman and he knew little of the car and wanted to talk about his new infant and his wife, with photos. The lot was so crowded with cars it was hard to reach a Genesis packed in with the Hyndais
At the other the salesman was in a white shirt and jacket, spoke respectfully, had a copy of Dale Carnegie "How To Win Friends and Influence People" on a shelf behind his desk and revealed he had done four years of military and was about 25 yo at that time. He knew the car fully. Genesis cars were at the front of the inventory lot. When I returned to buy three months later (yes) he remembered me and took ten seconds to check his contacts on computer to see his notes from my first visit. The sale went down smoothly. What a difference.

ckon

Registered Member
SE Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
We’ve now bought six cars (four Genesis and two Hyundai) from our dealer and have always had a good experience. No granite on the floors, but always good service and treatment all around.

Backslack

Registered Member
Genesis should also step in and try to prevent price gouging, it's hurting the Genesis brand rollout and all they're trying to achieve and I'm a perfect example, I will not pay over MSRP and in fact would like to see a few thousand under to make me open my wallet. If that isn't possible very soon, I'm going back to Audi.
Do you honestly think Genesis has any control over its independent dealerships? Do you think these dealerships would actually be stupid enough to lower the price when there's a clear supply shortage and people are gladly paying for it? If you want the Audi, go buy it. The dealership situation won't be changing anytime soon for Genesis regardless of whether you buy the GV80.

Coming here to do nothing but constantly complain that Genesis isn't worth the money even at MSRP because you can't get over its Hyundai origins is more than insulting to the many people here who have already paid for a GV80 and are quite happy with it.

lutzb0y

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Do you honestly think Genesis has any control over its independent dealerships? Do you think these dealerships would actually be stupid enough to lower the price when there's a clear supply shortage and people are gladly paying for it? If you want the Audi, go buy it. The dealership situation won't be changing anytime soon for Genesis regardless of whether you buy the GV80.

Coming here to do nothing but constantly complain that Genesis isn't worth the money even at MSRP because you can't get over its Hyundai origins is more than insulting to the many people here who have already paid for a GV80 and are quite happy with it
Hopefully the supply shortages ease in the next quarter or so.

2021GCSGV80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Hopefully the supply shortages ease in the next quarter or so.

I wouldn’t count on it. If Genesis doesn’t see sales numbers it was hoping for they will put the brakes on sending more cars. So you’ll have to pick from what’s on the lot which are probably lower trim models in just a few colors. Why would they cause a glut of them to drive the pricing down? It wouldn’t make good business sense. They will just divert them to the markets where they are selling.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums