GV80 driver assist features vs Tesla's Autopilot

hokies111

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Has anyone who has driven Tesla's with autopilot also own a GV80? How do they compare? Some YouTube reviewers say Genesis is better-without exactly explaining why. A Genesis salesperson told me the GV80 can only steer or control throttle while on the highway, which seems like a pretty big con even if it does work better on the highway.

the.tru.albertan

Getting familiar with the group...
Red Deer, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Has anyone who has driven Tesla's with autopilot also own a GV80? How do they compare? Some YouTube reviewers say Genesis is better-without exactly explaining why. A Genesis salesperson told me the GV80 can only steer or control throttle while on the highway, which seems like a pretty big con even if it does work better on the highway.
The new Genesis will control throttle if there is another car in front of it using the adaptive cruise. If you set the cruise at the speed limit during Highway Drive Assist mode, the numbers will be green coloured with the words AUTO next to it. It will use established nav data to control the speed itself. Transition from 60mph to 50mph? The car will automatically lower the speed itself once it hits the 50 zone.

Yes, it needs to be on a highway. I thought the Tesla needed to be as well tho.

hokies111

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The new Genesis will control throttle if there is another car in front of it using the adaptive cruise. If you set the cruise at the speed limit during Highway Drive Assist mode, the numbers will be green coloured with the words AUTO next to it. It will use established nav data to control the speed itself. Transition from 60mph to 50mph? The car will automatically lower the speed itself once it hits the 50 zone.

Yes, it needs to be on a highway. I thought the Tesla needed to be as well tho.
Yeah Tesla AP can both steer and control throttle (to match the car in front) on surface streets. You obviously need to watch it though and are responsible for whatever happens . I don't care much about auto steer TBH , but I do a lot of travel on congested non-highways so the car being able to control throttle/braking would be helpful.

To confirm the GV80 can neither steer nor control throttle/braking unless the navigation detects its on a highway?

Ernie3647

Been here awhile...
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
And the big question is can you take your hands off the steering wheel.
Like my prior Genesis cars yes for a short while then the car warns you to put hands on wheel. Personally I don't see much difference compared to them.
Still it works well.

the.tru.albertan

Red Deer, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Yeah Tesla AP can both steer and control throttle (to match the car in front) on surface streets. You obviously need to watch it though and are responsible for whatever happens . I don't care much about auto steer TBH , but I do a lot of travel on congested non-highways so the car being able to control throttle/braking would be helpful.

To confirm the GV80 can neither steer nor control throttle/braking unless the navigation detects its on a highway?

The Genesis does control on streets but there needs be lanes... I think. I'll test it out.

And the big question is can you take your hands off the steering wheel.
Like my prior Genesis cars yes for a short while then the car warns you to put hands on wheel. Personally I don't see much difference compared to them.
Still it works well.

I had a 2015 Genesis before I got my 2021. It seems like I can go longer without my hands on the wheel before getting the alarm. But the system will still deactivate. Of course, the work around is to strap a half empty water bottle to the steering wheel. Take a nap while hitting the highway....

Ernie3647

Been here awhile...
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
The Genesis does control on streets but there needs be lanes... I think. I'll test it out.

I had a 2015 Genesis before I got my 2021. It seems like I can go longer without my hands on the wheel before getting the alarm. But the system will still deactivate. Of course, the work around is to strap a half empty water bottle to the steering wheel. Take a nap while hitting the highway....
Always enjoy a good laugh....:D

the.tru.albertan

Red Deer, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Always enjoy a good laugh....:D
haha. I believe the Tesla system also continually warns you that your hands are off the steering wheel. There was a guy from BC a while ago who was driving up the QEII highway in Alberta in a Tesla. A cop witnessed what appeared to be both him and his passenger 'sleeping' while the car was in autopilot and the comments online suggested he had a water bottle strapped to the wheel to bypass the alarm.

There was another rumor shortly after that suggested he wanted to be caught so he faked being asleep in front of the cop. Reason being is he wants to force the courts hand for a decision on self-driving features. Can't really see that being true tho.

CL65Captain

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I have been in a car with Tesla's beta full self driving... this is a standard Model 3 just like all the rest, but has the beta software. It is frick'n amazing... you enter an address or tell it where to go in the Nav and the car drive's itself to the destination. No intervention at all, no hands on the wheels. If you think Genesis AP is anywhere close to Telsa you are sorely mistaken... Tesla is soooo far ahead, it is only artificially limited by the software because they aren't ready to roll it out. When they do, people will be amazed... they will think "Holy cow, I didn't think they are that far along". Yes, yes they are.

the.tru.albertan

Red Deer, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have been in a car with Tesla's beta full self driving... this is a standard Model 3 just like all the rest, but has the beta software. It is frick'n amazing... you enter an address or tell it where to go in the Nav and the car drive's itself to the destination. No intervention at all, no hands on the wheels. If you think Genesis AP is anywhere close to Telsa you are sorely mistaken... Tesla is soooo far ahead, it is only artificially limited by the software because they aren't ready to roll it out. When they do, people will be amazed... they will think "Holy cow, I didn't think they are that far along". Yes, yes they are.
I'm very interested to see how it all works. Will be pretty cool!

Mr. Incredible

G80 gone, still a Hyundai owner. 2021 Palisade
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The GV80 (as did the G80, G90, and my new Palisade) will work SCC and steering to an extent on surface streets if the speed is 40mph or faster (under 40 LKA doesn’t work). But you need to keep hands on the wheel and pay attention.

I used my G80 this way every drive. I hate traffic, so at 40mph I turned on SCC and let the car stop and go at red lights and such. Works well as long as you aren‘t the lead car.

My Palisade works the same way, but also has the new HDA system as explained above by the-tru-albertan the Highway system works great, on a highway as it is designed to do, drove 400 miles back from dealer using it a bit over 350 miles without needing to adjust anything, just occasionally tap the steering wheel when it notified me, which as I discovered in my G80 as well, is when you are around other traffic, if the SCC or BSM detects a vehicle the alert to put hands on the wheel comes up. When I was the only car on the road, for nearly 90 miles I never touched the steering wheel, the car handled it on its own very well.

Is it better then Tesla? not the Tesla full auto-pilot feature, but I do believe it is comparable to the base auto-pilot feature Tesla and several other manufacturers offer.

I think the Genesis/Hyundai system is far superior to the Lexus and Toyota systems and neck and neck with the Nissan/Infinity system. This is one area I think Lexus has taken a back seat to some of the other brands.

Last edited:

the.tru.albertan

Red Deer, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
just occasionally tap the steering wheel when it notified me, which as I discovered in my G80 as well, is when you are around other traffic, if the SCC or BSM detects a vehicle the alert to put hands on the wheel comes up. When I was the only car on the road, for nearly 90 miles I never touched the steering wheel, the car handled it on its own very well.
Ahhhh, it makes total sense now!! never picked up on the car requiring more hands on the wheel when other vehicles are around.

the.tru.albertan

Red Deer, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
^ Wow that is crazy. The car is sensing everything and placing it on the display in real time. Pretty amazing.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums