• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

GV80 @ the Chicago Auto Show

Backslack

Registered Member
Even if they don't bring everything in the first year, it's not out of the question for them to do it with later model years, like how the G80 (back when it was the 2015 Hyundai Genesis) came with a 360 camera in other parts of the world but not in North America- which was then added to US models in 2018.

MrLatte

Registered Member
Washington State
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
yes I saw that too. He also said the display model was Korean specs.
I thought that display model had a 115v outlet in the rear? Korean is 220v. And wasn’t the infotainment system in English? What about the 3.5T motor? Also, as discussed earlier it didn’t have the same Park button as the Korean version.

Last edited:

3.3 Rulz

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I hate that useless writing pad, serves no purpose and probably won't work well, need something, just touch the screen.

ctsooner

Registered Member
Berlin, CT
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Infiniti failed not because their cars were mediocre, but because like Acura they didn't really do much to update their vehicles to competitive standards once the 2010s came. When the G35 came out in the early 2000s, it crushed the 3-series in sales and performance. Lexus is also guilty of this lack of updates, but they crawl by through their affordable crossovers and the ES, while their actual RWD and SUV lineup slowly rot.
I owned one of the first G35's. It was a really nice upgrade over the Nissan. Heck, I grew up with Maxima's (after dad was done with his Le Sabre phase, lol). I owned a Maxima as an adult for a couple of years during my G35 time/lost the G in a divorce and did the Maxima. I was ready to get the BMW, but felt the G35 was better all around and it was much much more reliable at the time. I had wanted to get a Porsche at the time, but my ex said that we may have kids and she wanted the G35 (so much for getting what I really wanted). I do regret not getting the Porsche, lol.... She drove that G35 for over 10 years.

That will be unfortunate if they don't bring the soft close doors to the US. I have gotten to love them on my A7.

I agree. Everyone who uses my car loves them. Again, I'm hoping they wake up and realize that it's little things like this that folks do want in this segment. If you are used to something, it will take a lot to make you want to change. You have to match and then offer more. It will be easier to sell a Mercedes when you want a new SUV in a few years than it will be a Genesis. I'm hoping that they leave that on the vehicle. I can't see how hard that would be since it has them in Korea. I also saw someone mention then not bringing the full self parking deal to the US. Again, I really hope I'm wrong. I won't be buying a car that could have great amenities, but doesn't. It's not how it works.

Before some of you crucify me on my opinions, I can tell you that there are a group of us looking at luxury SUV's over the next year. I update us all daily on the forums etc... WE all love the look of the car and what they are offering in the Korean market. If they decide to cheap out on the US market, it won't matter what they charge, they won't get the customers away from the true luxury brands. We are all hoping the realize what they need to do in order to make it in this market.

Last edited:

Curt@MSN

Hopeless lover of enigmatic automobiles.
Madison, WI
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I thought that display model had a 115v outlet in the rear? Korean is 220v. And wasn’t the infotainment system in English? What about the 3.5T motor? Also, as discussed earlier it didn’t have the same Park button as the Korean version.
I agree - either the model in Chicago was a US Spec car or possibly some kind of "one off" they shipped over to get on the auto show circuit. Then again if they are planning on delivering cars this summer I would think they would have to have US spec vehicles testing right now. I never thought to ask them to pop the hood and see what engine was in there but I am guessing it was the 3.5. It absolutely did NOT have the Korean neutral park button and the rear outlet was 115v. My opinion is that was a loaded out US spec GV80 and that what remains to be decided by Genesis USA is what options they want in what package to meet their various MSRP points for the models - hence some of the confusion. The only person who ultimately knows at this point is the product manager for the GV80 :) Hey! He should join this forum :) :)

Fun and Joy

Registered Member
60053 Metro Chicago
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Inconsistencies noted. Just because he had a Genesis badge doesn’t mean he knows all.

Fun and Joy

Registered Member
60053 Metro Chicago
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Infiniti failed not because their cars were mediocre, but because like Acura they didn't really do much to update their vehicles to competitive standards once the 2010s came. When the G35 came out in the early 2000s, it crushed the 3-series in sales and performance. Lexus is also guilty of this lack of updates, but they crawl by through their affordable crossovers and the ES, while their actual RWD and SUV lineup slowly rot.
First, Infiniti Has not failed they are alive and still selling cars.
Second the thread is about the importance of establishing a Genesis Brand image. Nothing was said about the quality of Infiniti vehicles. You mention the G35, when the G came out, Infiniti was already mired in a decade long failure to establish a positive brand image. Infiniti made some really fine cars I know I owned 3 Q45’s and 1 M35. All were had with a steep discount. Failing to establish a desirable brand image they had to compete on price. Worked well for me it was my first luxury car. Their lack of sales success has nothing to do with a failure update, look at Lexus, they’re behind the curve of new tech, but the brand is doing well thank you, do to a well established identity.

Try this exorcise, "in five words or less define the Infiniti brand."
Try the same with BMW, Lexus, Rolls Royce, Tesla, Jeep or Prius. I think you’ll see what I mean.

Backslack

Registered Member
First, Infiniti Has not failed they are alive and still selling cars.
I don't think you've been keeping up with the news. Infiniti, especially with the recent debacles at Nissan, is not in good shape. Not helped by Nissan itself not being in good shape, and not having much cash to spare it. Don't be surprised if they get axed very soon here in North America like they did in Europe and Australia.

Yep, Infiniti Got Creamed

I also disagree with your "lack of brand identity" for Infiniti. Infiniti had a real focus on sport over luxury well ahead of the other Japanese luxury brands (Lexus and Acura) as far back as their debut. They were the only Japanese brand that really tried to have a strong focus on pure RWD vehicles for their entire lineup, something that they've now only recently given up on as they start rebadging more Nissan crossovers. They competed on price the same way Acura and Lexus did as well, all three are well below the prices of their German competitors. And to this day, neither Lexus nor Acura ever made something like the Infiniti FX, which was one of the few vehicles to actually be seen as a viable Porsche Cayenne competitor in its athletic prowess. They were really the only Japanese brand that wanted to distinguish themselves from their mainstream offerings like Nissan. Infiniti had established a very strong image with their vehicles, far more than Lexus and Acura, which people still associate with regular Toyota and Honda products due to their rebadging of Toyota and Honda vehicles.

It's interesting that you bring up Lexus, because they too are trying to revise their brand image for the past decade. There's a reason they changed their slogan from "The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection" into "Experience Amazing". Now more than ever, they have moved away from their conservative design ethos of decades past and introduced outlandish things like the spindle grill, while attempting to make their vehicles more sporty (at least in appearance). Don't believe me? Ask the CEO. Yes their crossover vehicles and the ES are currently selling well, but go look at the sales figures for their RWD ones or their BOF trucks. Abysmal. The GS has been slaughtered in sales every year by the Genesis G80, even back when it was introduced in 2015 as the Hyundai Genesis. The IS barely outsells the G70 (12,000 sold last year vs 15,000 IS's). And the new LS has been a sales disaster, with the amount sold last year getting halved since its introduction in 2018 from 10,000 units to 5,000 in 2019. Lexus simply cannot keep up with the competition. And that is what is making these Japanese brands suffer- their current lack of competitiveness in regards to the Europeans. It is not brand image that is hurting their vehicles, it is simply that their vehicles are not competitive to the Europeans the same way Genesis is. The badge doesn't sell everything, people aren't that stupid.

What is hurting Genesis now is not their image, it's their lack of actual dealerships and crossovers. Because it's been well established that the cars themselves are far more competitive than most of the current Japanese offerings, and on more than just price.

Last edited:

ctsooner

Registered Member
Berlin, CT
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I agree on What is hurting Genesis at the moment. Few like me are willing to give them a serious look. My friends all say, 'let me know when they open real dealerships". They do need a full SUV line. It will take a few years I bet.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums