• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Hard downshifts on a 3.3T AWD?

jaymatt

Registered Member
New Jersey
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I've had the 3.3T AWD for about 2 weeks now and just getting to 500 miles or so. Something I've noticed is that when lifting my foot from the gas pedal and attempting to coast, the car appears to slow itself down before I depress the brakes (hard downshifts?). It's jerky and abrupt - kind of like the regenerative braking on a Tesla if you've driven that. It appears to be more pronounced when in Sport mode.

Is that normal? I know I didn't feel this on the 3 test drives I took before I purchased the car but I may have just been overly giddy with joy on those drives to notice. I'm also quite the newb/noob when it comes to most things automotive.

broervudu

Registered Member
SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hi Jay, I don't have AWD but those that due may want to also know at what speeds is it evident? I drove a Tesla with the regenerative braking set on High and yes that quite a different feeling than without.

jaymatt

Registered Member
New Jersey
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm not going too fast when this happens - it's usually as I coast right before a stop sign or a red light stop. Well under 30 mph.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It’s the 3-2 downshift and from what I can tell doesn’t have anything to do with rwd or awd. Mine is jerky too, but my last car was a Hyundai Genesis coupe auto that had the same exact hard shift on the 3-2 when slowing to a stop. Almost like the trans wants to go from 3-1 and doesn’t shift fast enough to have the rpms blipped for a smooth downshift through 2. I can avoid it by stopping faster lol, and yes it’s worse in sport

Edit to add that I know the trans is different but from what I can tell they still haven’t figured out how to get an in house performance auto trans to handle that 3-2 downshift

jaymatt

Registered Member
New Jersey
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It’s the 3-2 downshift and from what I can tell doesn’t have anything to do with rwd or awd. Mine is jerky too, but my last car was a Hyundai Genesis coupe auto that had the same exact hard shift on the 3-2 when slowing to a stop. Almost like the trans wants to go from 3-1 and doesn’t shift fast enough to have the rpms blipped for a smooth downshift through 2. I can avoid it by stopping faster lol, and yes it’s worse in sport

Edit to add that I know the trans is different but from what I can tell they still haven’t figured out how to get an in house performance auto trans to handle that 3-2 downshift
So I have to train myself to stop faster. Well at least I know it isn't an issue with the car.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So I have to train myself to stop faster. Well at least I know it isn't an issue with the car.
I mean ‘stop faster’ isn’t always a good idea or feasible given the conditions so it’s also something you’ll have to live with. I think it can also be avoided by using the paddles and downshifting yourself through those gears, give it a try. You can also move it out of sport and into comfort when you’re stopping

jaymatt

Registered Member
New Jersey
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I mean ‘stop faster’ isn’t always a good idea or feasible given the conditions so it’s also something you’ll have to live with. I think it can also be avoided by using the paddles and downshifting yourself through those gears, give it a try. You can also move it out of sport and into comfort when you’re stopping
Yeah I'm gonna try a few different things. I don't always notice it but when I do it's really obvious. Appreciate all the responses!!

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Maybe I brake late. Haven't noticed any issues. Coasting doesn't work at that speed, so the engine is definitely in gear
I think the way this feels is very dependent on how you brakeand if you change pressure much on your way down to 0. For example I’ll feel it if I brake slow enough that I can feel the trans hitting each gear on the way down

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^^^This. The transition is smoother out of Sport mode.

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have noticed it on the 3-2 downshift and the 2-1 downshift when in sport mode as well. I think it is just how the throttle is calibrated during the downshift and to be honest it is actually better than the ZF transmission in my old 535 when in sport. And a million times better than the ZF in my Grand Cherokee on sport. That one is so bad the entire vehicle 'bobs' during the downshift because of the soft air springs.

Ultimately for the G70 I find you either have to brake slower or faster to not notice it. lol

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It’s a sport mode thing. The trans is programmed to feel more “aggressive” and intentionally holds onto the clutch packs longer to result in overlapping torques. I think it’s a bit silly and don’t like it when manufacturers do this (looking at you, BMW). Porsche for example knows that Sport Plus mode on their PDK isn’t meant to make the shifts more aggressive, which can upset the car’s balance during performance driving, but instead just holds on to gears longer, shifts faster, etc. No torque overlap though.

Hmmph.

LouieG

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I've had the 3.3T AWD for about 2 weeks now and just getting to 500 miles or so. Something I've noticed is that when lifting my foot from the gas pedal and attempting to coast, the car appears to slow itself down before I depress the brakes (hard downshifts?). It's jerky and abrupt - kind of like the regenerative braking on a Tesla if you've driven that. It appears to be more pronounced when in Sport mode.

Is that normal? I know I didn't feel this on the 3 test drives I took before I purchased the car but I may have just been overly giddy with joy on those drives to notice. I'm also quite the newb/noob when it comes to most things automotive.
I'll need to look for your issue on mine. I haven't noticed that, but I'll specifically check it out. Btw, I have a loaded up G70 3.3T AWD Sport too. Had three weeks w/ 820 miles (but dealer sold it to me with 160 miles on it! Whole nuther story) Btw, manual says not to use launch control before appx. 850 miles.

LouieG

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I've been experimenting too. Paddle shifters are good. I noticed that when shifting from drove to reverse to park, the trans is a kluncky.

Genesis Newbie

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have a 2019 3.3 AWD and have the exact same "issue". In Sport mode I detected an unsmooth downshift from 3 to 2 and thought that I got a lemon. Hearing others having the same issue is reassuring (I guess), though I confess that I do not like it very much. The issue does not present in either ECO or Comfort mode so I am guessing this is all normal. Somewhat related: can we shift modes at any point in the drive? Or, should we only shift modes when the car is not moving?

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have a 2019 3.3 AWD and have the exact same "issue". In Sport mode I detected an unsmooth downshift from 3 to 2 and thought that I got a lemon. Hearing others having the same issue is reassuring (I guess), though I confess that I do not like it very much. The issue does not present in either ECO or Comfort mode so I am guessing this is all normal. Somewhat related: can we shift modes at any point in the drive? Or, should we only shift modes when the car is not moving?
OK to shift drive modes at any time.

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well it is sport mode!

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums