• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Hard downshifts on a 3.3T AWD?

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
10% throttle. I park in a parking garage and I am normally going <15MPH for a few minutes until I get out on the street. This is when it's the most noticeable. Harder throttle seems to be "better".
And you're manually shifting or letting the car do the work? I would imagine the car doesn't get past 2nd gear to go 15mph. I'd take it to get checked out if it's doing it on its own. If you're manually shifting, I'd just tell you to stop because it seems unnecessary, imo

Don't know if actual temperature is a factor. California "cold" is like 50*F

Last edited:

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Has anyone with the more severe examples of this behavior flushed their trans fluid? It's possible some cars were under filled from the factory, based on the symptoms described by those who have the biggest symptoms.

jaymatt

Registered Member
New Jersey
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Has anyone with the more severe examples of this behavior flushed their trans fluid? It's possible some cars were under filled from the factory, based on the symptoms described by those who have the biggest symptoms.
I'm due for my first service in a few weeks. I'll be sure to ask them about it.

steelers84

Registered Member
And you're manually shifting or just the cars's regular

And you're manually shifting or letting the car do the work? I would imagine the car doesn't get past 2nd gear to go 15mph. I'd take it to get checked out if it's doing it on its own. If you're manually shifting, I'd just tell you to stop because it seems unnecessary, imo

Don't know if actual temperature is a factor. California "cold" is like 50*F
I am not manually shifting. It's almost like the car wants to shift from first to second in the 2,000 RPM range and then from second to third in the 2,000 RPM range. Giving it a little more gas makes the problem less noticeable but it's kind of hard in a parking garage. In fact, if I DO use manual shifting and shift into second in the 2,500-3,000 RPM range, the shift is far less jerky. Keep in mind, this is generally when cold (50*F right now too).

This is all new to me because I've only owned the car for a week so I'm trying to figure out what's "normal" and what isn't. It's not a huge problem but it is kind of concerning that a lot of people seem to be having strange shift behavior/feeling.

EDIT: I somewhat thoroughly tested it on my way home from work tonight. On a cold start, the car shifts from first to second at around 1500RPM when giving it very light gas. The shift itself seems somewhat smooth, but as soon as the car shifts into second, the next 2-3 seconds are very jerky. I drove 25 miles home and tested it as I was pulling onto my street and the issue was completely gone. Literally 100% gone, so this is a cold start issue it seems (for me at least).

Last edited:

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Motor trends issue sounds way more serious and different than anyone has described on here: "More seriously, when asked for forceful acceleration (necessary when turning left from my quiet residential street onto a major artery), the transmission would seemingly slip and fail to deliver propulsion, while engine revs would scream to redline. This would happen for a terrifying three-Mississippi count as I drifted into cross traffic, until the tranny would sort itself out with another clunk and finally deliver power. "

If anyone had this issue I would hope they would make a dealer appt asap and not 'Thus, I thought this was a teething problem and would sort itself out'. Of course it isnt their car so Im not suprised theyre being more laissez-faire than a real owner would

Avocent

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Agree one reason I purchased the car is the long warranty, some issues pop up back to the dealer it goes. Especially early on when were protected by warranty and lemon laws.

steelers84

Registered Member
Yeah, my issues are nothing like the ones Motor Trend described. I have been keeping a close eye on it and when the oil temp is <200*F, the transmissions shifts aren't very smooth and in some cases, incredibly jerky. When it gets up to operating temperature (and I assume the transmission fluid gets to operating temperature) shifts are smooth. The ONLY time shifts get a little weird are when giving it gas around a turn (kind of like how Motor Trend described) but I can't tell if it's the transmission shifts or wheel slip and the AWD making adjustments. It's fall here and slippery leaves are everywhere so it can honestly be either. I will report back with any findings.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yeah, my issues are nothing like the ones Motor Trend described. I have been keeping a close eye on it and when the oil temp is <200*F, the transmissions shifts aren't very smooth and in some cases, incredibly jerky. When it gets up to operating temperature (and I assume the transmission fluid gets to operating temperature) shifts are smooth. The ONLY time shifts get a little weird are when giving it gas around a turn (kind of like how Motor Trend described) but I can't tell if it's the transmission shifts or wheel slip and the AWD making adjustments. It's fall here and slippery leaves are everywhere so it can honestly be either. I will report back with any findings.
I wonder if your problem is stemming from a bad transmission cooler. I've found stinger owners say that the tranny fluid can overheat relatively easily when pushed really hard. I assume if your transmission cooler is already bad, then you can start having these shifting issues when the ATF heats up under normal driving.

steelers84

Registered Member
I wonder if your problem is stemming from a bad transmission cooler. I've found stinger owners say that the tranny fluid can overheat relatively easily when pushed really hard. I assume if your transmission cooler is already bad, then you can start having these shifting issues when the ATF heats up under normal driving.
If this was the case, wouldn't the problem get worse when the engine/transmission is warm? My problem is mostly when the engine/transmission is cold and goes away when the engine/transmission warms up.

elsid88

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Since it has turned cooler noticing the same. I'll have the car warming up and as I leave for work and make an easy right turn or left turn I feel a slip from the rear, as if you were getting tire slip on ice but can't determine either if it's the tires or the tranny.

However, after driving for a bit, I don't feel anything out of the ordinary from the transmission, only just after start up after sitting.

If it persists, to the dealer it goes.

Just under 3300 miles ... 3.3 AWD Sport

steelers84

Registered Member
Since it has turned cooler noticing the same. I'll have the car warming up and as I leave for work and make an easy right turn or left turn I feel a slip from the rear, as if you were getting tire slip on ice but can't determine either if it's the tires or the tranny.

However, after driving for a bit, I don't feel anything out of the ordinary from the transmission, only just after start up after sitting.

If it persists, to the dealer it goes.

Just under 3300 miles ... 3.3 AWD Sport
This is the best way to describe the issue. The rear end appears to slip in some way but it's hard to tell if it's the tires. At this point, I'm starting to feel like it isn't tire slip because it happens on every turn and I doubt that the tires are always slipping.

Truthfully, I didn't expect these types of drivetrain issues out of a car that costs close to 53k.

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If it's turning only that gives you these symtoms could we not be talking about the LSD and possibly the traction control intervening as well? I have the exact same turning "symptoms" but never have thought it was tranny related. If you turn off the traction control on turns slow speed you can hook up and go a lot quicker. Bumpy roads cause something to intervene with putting power down on turns.

Last edited:

steelers84

Registered Member
If it's turning only that gives you these symtoms could we not be talking about the LSD and possibly the traction control intervening as well? I have the exact same turning "symptoms" but never have thought it was tranny related. If you turn off the traction control on turns slow speed you can hook up and go a lot quicker. Bumpy roads cause something to intervene with putting power down on turns.
It very well could be. It's certainly a strange feeling but it's kind of hard to tell where it's coming from. I'll try turning the traction control off and seeing if that specific symptom goes away.

However, when cold, the tranny is jerky. That I'm positive of. It goes away when warm.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^We've talked about this in the past, and my assumptions on it are still the same: I really think it's the rear LSD. Our cars use a relatively aggressive multi-playe style differential, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's being extra grabby when turning at relatively slow speeds. I assume this happens mostly when the differential fluid is cold, as the gear oil has a fairly high viscosity when cold which could be affecting the LSD's performance.

I've noticed it on my car as well, usually happens on my very first turn onto the street from my parking spot in the morning, doesn't happen after that. Doesn't matter if traction control is on or off. To me it feels like it's the rear wheels. I really doubt it has anything to do with the car's stability control/electronic torque vectoring, as this usually happens when the car is going relatively slow (15mph or somewhere around there).

All of that said, I think it's totally normal and to be expected of our cars.

steelers84

Registered Member
^We've talked about this in the past, and my assumptions on it are still the same: I really think it's the rear LSD. Our cars use a relatively aggressive multi-playe style differential, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's being extra grabby when turning at relatively slow speeds. I assume this happens mostly when the differential fluid is cold, as the gear oil has a fairly high viscosity when cold which could be affecting the LSD's performance.

I've noticed it on my car as well, usually happens on my very first turn onto the street from my parking spot in the morning, doesn't happen after that. Doesn't matter if traction control is on or off. To me it feels like it's the rear wheels. I really doubt it has anything to do with the car's stability control/electronic torque vectoring, as this usually happens when the car is going relatively slow (15mph or somewhere around there).

That's good to hear. The feeling doesn't bother me, I just want to make sure it's normal and a dealer visit isn't required.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That's good to hear. The feeling doesn't bother me, I just want to make sure it's normal and a dealer visit isn't required.
Well, if you do decide to take it to the dealer definitely let us know what they say. I'm still sticking to my hypothesis, but I very well could be wrong. *shrug*

Ernie3647

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY

Agreed I too have noticed this.
Just like said when cold (maybe the first 10 to 15 minutes) after that nothing.

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Winnipeg
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

I have the Dynamic (CDN) version of the AWD 3.3T without the LSD and haven't felt that at all, so it would make sense.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums