• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Hard shift in 2017 G80

2017 G80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I am experiencing a hard shift in my transmission. Have documentation of at least two times the tech witness the hard shift during test drive and they reset something called a transmission adapter valve which now the hard shift is more frequent. They reset the adapter 5 times. Genesis is not taking this issue seriously which is so disappointing. Has anyone had this issue?

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
That is most unfortunate, can you please provide additional details;
3.8 or 5.0?
Mileage?
Does it happen at different speeds?
Different gears? 1st to second?
Does selecting ECO/Sport/Normal makes a difference?
When the car is cold? Warm? does not make difference?
Did the dealer see any Error Codes?

2017 G80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
That is most unfortunate, can you please provide additional details;
3.8 or 5.0?
Mileage?
Does it happen at different speeds?
Different gears? 1st to second?
Does selecting ECO/Sport/Normal makes a difference?
When the car is cold? Warm? does not make difference?
Did the dealer see any Error Codes?

Has been in the shop over 4 times and twice the tech documented they felt the hard/harsh jerk but no codes registered. It happens mostly from first to second gear but can happen in any gear. Wasn’t happening all the time but has become more frequent. ECO/Normal or Sport does not make a difference and I have a 3.8 engine. The Transmission Adapter Valve has been set 5 times. I’m frustrated and at a loss because there is an issue with my G80 hard/harsh shift

new_G80_owner_KC

Hasn't posted much yet...
KS
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I'm having hard shifts/surging as well. The dealer has not been able to pull any codes and with my luck the care doesn't show symptoms at the dealership. Most of hard shifts are 2nd to 3rd; 3rd to 4th, and 4th to 5th. It happens at different speeds when the car is warm and the car is in normal mode. I can go for days with no issues and out the blue the car becomes possessed. 5.0 by the way.

2017 G80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I'm having hard shifts/surging as well. The dealer has not been able to pull any codes and with my luck the care doesn't show symptoms at the dealership. Most of hard shifts are 2nd to 3rd; 3rd to 4th, and 4th to 5th. It happens at different speeds when the car is warm and the car is in normal mode. I can go for days with no issues and out the blue the car becomes possessed. 5.0 by the way.
Exactly, sorry for your issues but thank God someone else is having the same problem. What have you done so far with your issues; been to the shop or reported to Genesis?

2017 G80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Sooooooooooo what is your next step with your concern? I seem to be getting the run around.

2017 G80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Where did you go with your issues about the harsh/hard shift and where do you live?

new_G80_owner_KC

KS
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The dealership told me to drive it until it breaks and they will fix it under warranty. I'm in the KC area.

2017 G80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Ok wait, the dealership told you to drive it until it breaks. That's dangerous for you, anyone in your car at the time and other drivers. That's so sad
Thanks for responding, I am at my wits with this situation

Kp117

Registered Member
I have this problem too on a 17 G80 3.8

Its from overheating the transmission. You need to change ALL the fluid. Not saying it will fix the problem but it will prevent a total collapse of the tranny when you're out of warranty

2017 G80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Kp17 my car has been to all scheduled maintenance appointments. According to the dealership all fluid have been changed.
How would or could you overheat the transmission?
Also did you ever take your car to the shop?

Kp117

Registered Member
Kp17 my car has been to all scheduled maintenance appointments. According to the dealership all fluid have been changed.
How would or could you overheat the transmission?
Also did you ever take your car to the shop?
Sorry to break it to you my friend but the dealership is lying to you. There are two kinds of tranny fluid replacement. Drain and refill and force flush. The latter requires about 15 bottles of fluid whereas a simple drain and refill only takes about 4.

You overheat the tranny when you let the car idle for more than 15 mins. Its the stagnation and lack of a fluid exchange cooler that heats everything up. Guys in the shop don't know anything when it comes to problem solving. They don't engineer cars.

2017 G80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thanks for all the input. They reset my transmission adapter at least 4 times and that did not do any good at all. It’s a relief that I am not the only one experiencing this issue with my G80 but it’s also unfortunate that the dealership no Genesis is not addressing the problem as they should

Where are you from?

Kudos for this Genesis website

Kp117

Registered Member
Thanks for all the input. They reset my transmission adapter at least 4 times and that did not do any good at all. It’s a relief that I am not the only one experiencing this issue with my G80 but it’s also unfortunate that the dealership no Genesis is not addressing the problem as they should

Where are you from?

Kudos for this Genesis website
I'm in Virginia. Yea I figured they wouldn't be able to help you. Transmissions cannot be "fixed". If they have issues it is because of a design and engineering flaw. Someone from Korea would have to come up with a solution. The only thing you can do is replace ALL OF THE FLUID and hope for the best.

new_G80_owner_KC

KS
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
So I call the dealership with the new TSB (19-AT-014HG) for the hard shfting tranny and they tell me my VIN doesn't quality for the TSB work. I'm truly at my wits end with Genesis in general and this tranny specifically. Tick tock...5.5 months until my Genesis experiment is over.

2017 G80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Wait what is the New TSB for the hard shifting tranny? Are you telling Genesis is aware of this issue?

Kp117

Registered Member
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION HARSH AND/OR DELAYED SHIFT -19-AT-014HG
I am so glad you posted this. It proves everything I said to be 100% true...

1. The average mechanic at the dealer isn't going to know how to diagnose the problem.
2. You can't really "fix" the issue. Tranny has to be replaced.

If you plan on keeping the car past the warranty, I'd recommend calling corporate and demanding that the dealer hook your car up to the computer and take you on a test drive so that the hard shifts are recorded. Then have the data sent to Korea and have them analyze it.

2017 G80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Are you kidding me and I notice at the bottom it states to circulate to General Manager, Service Manager, Parts Manager, Warranty Manager, Service Advisors, Technicians, Body Shop Manager, Fleet Repair and they are giving us, the consumers the run around.....this is awful.

thanks so much for all the information I have been getting. This is sooooo discouraging and frustrating.

2017 G80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
New_ G80_owner_kc are you a mechanic and how did you get your hands on the Automatic Transmission Harsh and/or Delayed Shift paperwork?

kp117 you seem to know something about cars too.

It seems none of the mechanics are aware of this paperwork or are they? There are several G80 owners having this same problem and unfortunately we are all getting the same run around.

There are G80 owners under the threads "Transmission" and "Transmission Hard Shifting dated June 7th, 2019" with all the issues we have been discussing here. One of the owner's transmission was replaced and the same thing they stated is still happening. Genesis has a problem and I pray we make them aware of it through all these posts and maybe their memory will come back concerning the paperwork it seem they have received about the Automatic Transmission Harsh and/or Delayed Shift.

I just want to give my G80 back but it's just not that simply. This is sooooo sad, frustrated and not fair to us as consumers who spent good money for a car that still has some bugs to figure out.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums