Has anybody tried fitting 2015-2018 rims from a 3.8 onto a 2009-2012 4.6?

Thread starter #1

WiscoPablo

Registered Member
LaCrosse, Wi
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I see there is a set of rims from 2015-2018 genesis in nice shape on the denver Craigslist for 400 for the set. I need a second set of rims for a winter set but I don't want an aftermarket rim, stock only. Initially I looked at putting the newer equus blade rims on because they look great but then when running tire prices I saw that the price was going to be too high per tire. I just replaced my rubbers with bridgestone serenity 245/50/18 in lieu of the stock 235/45/18.

Now, the rims on the newer genesis call for 245/45/18 so my tires will positively work on the rims. I'm wondering though, if the rims will work perfectly on the car. The ad says the rims are 40mm offset. The person did not day positive or negative offset and I'm not an expert in offsets.

I'm planning to slap my good rubbers on these new rims then put blizzaks on the original rims.

Here is the link to the rims in question. I'm 90% sure it will all work perfectly but I'm looking for some inside knowledge from somebody that might have done this or has already seen this combo. I debadged the car last week and it looks good but it can look better.

Here is the link in question. 2015 - 2018 Hyundai Genesis Sedan OEM wheels rims

Any suggestions or ideas, even if you haven't seen this specific setup, is appreciated. Thanks guys

rstlne

Hasn't posted much yet...
CA
Genesis Model Type
I'm surprised you went with 245/50, I thought 245/45 was a more common size, more selection and better pricing. That's another subject though.

For the rims you're looking at, they will fit. Biggest issue I've seen is clearing the ginormous front brake calipers and with the design of said rims for sale, it will and should clear. You will know when a rim has negative offset; stock rims will 99% not have negative offset and those are positve offset.

Thread starter #3

WiscoPablo

Registered Member
LaCrosse, Wi
Genesis Model Type
Perfect. Yes, the 245/45 Is much more common. I had decided to go with top of the line tires so after comparing and reading reviews I decided the bridgestone turanza serenity was the right tire for me. I love the smooth ride of my cadillacs but there were a few reasons that prompted me to go with a wider and taller tire. First reason being safety on the highway.
I had my rack and pinion replaced a month back, the car wasnt reset properly and the esc was not engaged. I was driving through Florida a few days later, ended up in a real hairy spot on the highway and ended up WOT. The rear end broke free at about 75 and fishtailed massively maybe 4 or 5 times in each direction and I had to come up to about 95 to save life and limb. Obviously I had my shop reset the stabilitrak system and its operational again but that lack of traction, while satisfying, was not reassuring. With that being said, I felt like the rear end would step out way too frequently on the other set, even coming around a light at an exit ramp around 25-30 the rear end would start to step out and the vehicle would cut power.
With these new bridgestone Turanzas, I haven't felt a single moment of traction loss in the last thousand miles. They're incredibly sticky at every speed.

Increasing the width and height was an excellent choice. On the old tires, the car would refuse to go above 110-115 mph. On these tires, the car happily took itself to 140. The ride quality has been increased by a fair margin aswell. It was a night and day difference going from the tires that were on it when purchased to this new set. The extra squishyness brought on by the 5% increase in height has not negatively affected performance in any capacity that I've noticed. Maybe, in comparison to a 235/45, they could sacrifice some ride stability at 2x highway speeds but the added comfort makes them more than worth the couple extra dollars.

I get my tires through walmart. I know that might sound goofy but hear me out. Wal-Mart has the cheapest tires I've found on the internet. The trick is, you must order them to the store from the website. Once they're at the Wal-Mart of your choosing, for only $9x.xx I was able to get a lifetime rotate/balance and also proration of the tires so if you use walmart a second time, in theory, you should get some dollars back based on the miles you didn't drive before your tires were worn out. It's an unlimited number of rotates and balances, or at least I haven't hit a wall, nor have I been told there is a cap. The proration aspect is a positive since the tires were about $780 for the set. The other day I had my tires balanced at one Wal-Mart, didn't like how it felt, went to my other Wal-Mart, rebalanced, night and day difference. I think I'm going to continue using the other Wal-Mart. The one I normally go to, now that I'm thinking about it, has ducked up before too, in my personal opinion. A few months ago I was having my truck tires rotated and balanced and when I got into my truck 20 minutes later it smelled like somebody had been welding in it! The tech burned my clutch so badly that I could still smell it when I opened the door to the truck an hour after parking it back in my driveway. NOT GOOD. I reasoned that I wouldn't let that tech touch my truck after that experience but if their crew can't even balance tires properly it makes me wonder what else they aren't able to do properly. But hey, for 90 bucks and change it's hard to beat lifetime servicing of the tires plus free patches if needed, nationwide. Next I plan to pickup a set of Blizzaks for this winter unless there is a better winter tire that can be recommended. It looks like the blizzak is the winner.

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I'm thinking the taller tire would fill the wheel wells out a bit more too

Thread starter #5

WiscoPablo

Registered Member
LaCrosse, Wi
Genesis Model Type
I'm thinking the taller tire would fill the wheel wells out a bit more too
That's exactly the truth. I felt like the 235/45s looked visually too small. After putting on the 245/50s it did fill the wheel well much better. A week later, one of my buddies asked if the rims were new too. I'm going to pick those 2015 rims up tomorrow and I'll post the pictures once I have the rubbers swapped.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.