Has anyone swapped out their Sport wheels to have the same size on all 4 wheels?

WallyBR

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm about to take delivery of a 2018 G80 Sport. I was thinking it would be nice to swap out 2 of the wheels & tires to have the same size all the way around. That way, I could actually get them rotated & extend the life. Has anyone tried this? Would the wider wheels work on the front (and the narrower on the rear)? Anybody want to swap two wheels with me? :LOL:

Thanks!

Light2000

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm about to take delivery of a 2018 G80 Sport. I was thinking it would be nice to swap out 2 of the wheels & tires to have the same size all the way around. That way, I could actually get them rotated & extend the life. Has anyone tried this? Would the wider wheels work on the front (and the narrower on the rear)? Anybody want to swap two wheels with me? :LOL:

Thanks!
Anyone?

Dindo

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
One of my 2018 G80 Sport front tires got damaged and the delearship advised me to just buy tires same as the rear tires so it can be rotated. Already booked in 2 weeks but I am still thinking about it if I will cancel it. Lots of cheaper tires at other stores.

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Surprised the wheels are the same size front to back? When I had my Infiniti it was like my G70 with slightly different tire sizes front to back and InfinitI had a ‘keyed’ wheel of sorts that prohibited moving wheels front to back. Surprised Genesis is not similar but if our wheels are the same with only slight tire differences then changing out tires to be all the same is not a bad idea at next tire replacement.

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
No, wheels front/rear aren't the same size on G80 sport, they are staggered! you can't put rear wheel on front as they have a different offset and likely will "damaged" the wheel (rim) from the inside, you can't swap tires either front/rear. His dealer is an idiot, recommending it, just to save a few bucks.
The only way it would work without any modifications (using wheel spacers) is, if you put all fours front wheels, then use the same size of tires, so you can rotate them.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
No, wheels front/rear aren't the same size on G80 sport, they are staggered! you can't put rear wheel on front as they have a different offset and likely will "damaged" the wheel (rim) from the inside, you can't swap tires either front/rear. His dealer is an idiot, recommending it, just to save a few bucks.
The only way it would work without any modifications (using wheel spacers) is, if you put all fours front wheels, then use the same size of tires, so you can rotate them.
Yeah, I don't get it. Engineers spend big bucks testing to get the right tire combination for safety and performance but Bob down at the tire shop has a better idea.

Dear Abby,
I just bought a $60,000 car, got the sporty model too. My neighbors envy me now too. Any hints on how I can save $100 on tires?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Dear Abby,
Where do i get 275/35/19 tires for $100?
You can't but the difference is size is about $25 per tire so you can potentially save 50 bucks using the wrong size on two wheels. I know some think differently but given the choice of spending $1200 to half-ass or$1250 to do it right . . . .

PaulZooms

Hasn't posted much yet...
Lakewood, CO
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
You can't but the difference is size is about $25 per tire so you can potentially save 50 bucks using the wrong size on two wheels. I know some think differently but given the choice of spending $1200 to half-ass or$1250 to do it right . . . .
LOL Half-assed is right. 10% savings is not worth it.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Only way to get a squared up set is to buy the proper wheels, spacers, and tires. Not cheap, but can save hundreds in tire costs over the life of the car. Not recommended if you like to drive fast, accelerate fast, and corner fast.

turnne

Registered Member
LOL...but then there is that rotation thing that gives you a lot more longevity on the tires
That SHOULD be the main reason not the cost of the individual tires themselves

You need to remember this is a Genesis forum not an Mercedes AMG or BMW M forum....

Warren

Dindo

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
One of my 2018 G80 Sport front tires got damaged and the delearship advised me to just buy tires same as the rear tires so it can be rotated. Already booked in 2 weeks but I am still thinking about it if I will cancel it. Lots of cheaper tires at other stores.
I decided to cancel my order for a tire from the dealership and did what I think is the right thing to do which is to follow the recommended tire specs. Cannot trust the dealership anymore. Good thing we have this forum.

turnne

Registered Member
I decided to cancel my order for a tire from the dealership and did what I think is the right thing to do which is to follow the recommended tire specs. Cannot trust the dealership anymore. Good thing we have this forum.
Probably a good thing

I think we have to remember that the Hyundai dealerships that service these cars haven't seen very many
It seems they "miss" sometimes when they are trying to diagnose or repair. Added to that is the fact that there are not too many of these cars around that they have worked on

The "fix" would be dedicated dealers ....but economically I dont see that being the common situation anytime soon

Warren

Origin_G80

Hasn't posted much yet...
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
From what i understood, OP was thinking how nice and easy it would be to have a square wheel/tire set up on his G80 sport if he swapped out the 2 rear wheels for ease of rotating and longevity of the wheels. A quick search on tire rack gives you 31 options with the 245/40/19 and 275/35/19 set up. 245/40/19 set up all around gives you 60 different sets of tires. You get a lot more options. Also, sometimes "Bob" down from the tire shop is right. The rear end on all g80 models, 3.3 3.8 and 5.0 (suspension components wise) is identical. The reason the engineers spent the big bucks is to be cool like the Germans with their wide rear wheels. Performance - yes, safety - not so much. Not in slippery conditions anyways.

The dealer who recommended mounting 275/35/19 tires in the front is technically correct. If we are talking about Continental ProContacts, along with many others, according to the manufacturer, can be mounted on rims ranging from 8 to 9.5 inches wide. That set up will most likely look ridiculous but possible. Anything to make the customer happy i guess.

turnne

Registered Member
From what i understood, OP was thinking how nice and easy it would be to have a square wheel/tire set up on his G80 sport if he swapped out the 2 rear wheels for ease of rotating and longevity of the wheels. A quick search on tire rack gives you 31 options with the 245/40/19 and 275/35/19 set up. 245/40/19 set up all around gives you 60 different sets of tires. You get a lot more options. Also, sometimes "Bob" down from the tire shop is right. The rear end on all g80 models, 3.3 3.8 and 5.0 (suspension components wise) is identical. The reason the engineers spent the big bucks is to be cool like the Germans with their wide rear wheels. Performance - yes, safety - not so much. Not in slippery conditions anyways.

The dealer who recommended mounting 275/35/19 tires in the front is technically correct. If we are talking about Continental ProContacts, along with many others, according to the manufacturer, can be mounted on rims ranging from 8 to 9.5 inches wide. That set up will most likely look ridiculous but possible. Anything to make the customer happy i guess.
Do all the G80's have a staggered set up?..or just the sport

I know the G90 does..as did the Equus

To your point about " being cool like the Germans"....as I have said many times. I dont think a German car buyer is looking at a Genesis product
In my opinion, Hyundai would be better off the try to emulate Toyota's Lexus brand both in product line and dealership situation/experience

Warren

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
So with the 5.0 V-8 when you hit the gas hard the more narrow tires won't spin or wear more than the correct tire? Ever notice on a dragster the rear tires are wider than the front tires? Sure, that is extreme but the principle applies.
Back in the day before LSD, my friend Ron used his father's Plymouth Fury. His father could not figure out why the right rear tire wore out before the others.
Do as you please but I'd stick with proven engineering over what "Bob" thinks will work.

turnne

Registered Member
So with the 5.0 V-8 when you hit the gas hard the more narrow tires won't spin or wear more than the correct tire? Ever notice on a dragster the rear tires are wider than the front tires? Sure, that is extreme but the principle applies.
Back in the day before LSD, my friend Ron used his father's Plymouth Fury. His father could not figure out why the right rear tire wore out before the others.
Do as you please but I'd stick with proven engineering over what "Bob" thinks will work.
The extended wear( and less $) primarily lies in the ability to rotate the tires

I dont think anyone thinks the G80...even with the sports package....fits in the category of a performance sedan
Rather the sports package seems 95% cosmetic in nature

Warren

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The extended wear( and less $) primarily lies in the ability to rotate the tires

I dont think anyone thinks the G80...even with the sports package....fits in the category of a performance sedan
Rather the sports package seems 95% cosmetic in nature

Warren
You are probably right about the performance part with many, but you have to balance the cost of tire wear with the cost of new wheels, spacers, whatever. If it is a major financial burden you should not have bought such a car to start with.

turnne

Registered Member
You are probably right about the performance part with many, but you have to balance the cost of tire wear with the cost of new wheels, spacers, whatever. If it is a major financial burden you should not have bought such a car to start with.
Actually if someone was looking for more of a "cost not a primary concern " sport sedan they probably would have bought a German sedans..or a Cadillac CT6 type V

Realistically ..since Genesis is a value brand ..then I think its perfectly acceptable to look at options that lower the cost of ownership
Granted ..if there is a lot to buy to make the tires rotatable, it may not make sense
But I think that was the question asked by the original post....was there a reasonable and effective way to use tires of the same size

Warren

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums