Has anyone swapped out their Sport wheels to have the same size on all 4 wheels?

Origin_G80

Hasn't posted much yet...
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Do all the G80's have a staggered set up?..or just the sport

I know the G90 does..as did the Equus

To your point about " being cool like the Germans"....as I have said many times. I dont think a German car buyer is looking at a Genesis product
In my opinion, Hyundai would be better off the try to emulate Toyota's Lexus brand both in product line and dealership situation/experience

Warren
Older 5.0 since they were RWD only and were only sold with 19inch wheels had wider rear wheels. Starting some time is 2018 when genesis 3.3T sport came out with the new gear shifter (shift by wire) and the upgraded transmission even 5.0 AWD and 3.3T AWD got staggered wheels. Something about the AWD htrac system on older models not liking the staggered set up. Makes little sense HTRAC being so advanced and sending most of the power to the rear wheels at times but what do i know, im not one of their engineers.

German M or AMG car buyers (fanboys and girls) are def not looking at Genesis. Regular people are. I know plenty who when from BMW, Audi to Genesis. You're 100% right that mostly customers from Toyota/Lexus are buying korean now. Me being one of them.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Do all the G80's have a staggered set up?..or just the sport
I just looked at the online configurator and only the base model G80 with the 3.8 comes squared up. 245/45-18's all around. This is what I drive, RWD, and the car handles fine, to me.

Not sure why, but the 3.8 Sport package and Ultimate package both come with the staggered setup, 245/40-19 up front and 275/35-19 rear. Maybe it's for handling, as the 3.8 isn't going to be breaking the tires loose, regardless of trim package.

The 3.3t Sport and 5.0 Ultimate also come with the 245/40-19 up front and 275/35-19 rear.

Selecting AWD doesn't affect any of this, wheels/tires provided are the same as a RWD configuration.

Just my personal opinion, but if using AWD, a single wheel/tire selection sized between those two staggered sizes could be selected and used in a squared setup with success. Maybe a 255 or 265 tread width. In a RWD situation, we would likely get even more tire spin with a smaller rear wheel/tire.

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
Older 5.0 since they were RWD only and were only sold with 19inch wheels had wider rear wheels. Starting some time is 2018 when genesis 3.3T sport came out with the new gear shifter (shift by wire) and the upgraded transmission even 5.0 AWD and 3.3T AWD got staggered wheels. Something about the AWD htrac system on older models not liking the staggered set up. Makes little sense HTRAC being so advanced and sending most of the power to the rear wheels at times but what do i know, im not one of their engineers.

I have a 2015 5.0 AWD and they came with a staggered setup.

I haven't done any checking but if the rear suspension and hubs are the same across all models, I don't see why you can't put the standard wheels on. When you buy a snow tires and wheels, you generally want to go narrower by a size or two anyways. You might not get the grip you want from a 5.0 or Sport but under normal conditions, I don't think it's an issue.

If you want the grip and you want to put 275's up front, that might be an issue. Ask the wheel shop to do a test fit, make sure the offset is correct, make sure it doesn't rub, etc...

Would I bother to go squared? No, my car's AWD so it wears pretty evenly anyways... that and because it's AWD, if I blow a tire, I have to replace all 4 tires. Uneven wear could put extra stress on the diffs.

With RWD only, tires would still work out to be about the same. My old MR2 Turbo was also staggered but I was replacing 3 rears for every front. That's still 8 tires over the 7 years I drove it.

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
... that and because it's AWD, if I blow a tire, I have to replace all 4 tires. Uneven wear could put extra stress on the diffs.

I don't think it's true. Rear tires wear faster anyway, so you'd have to replace them every few months, to match the front ones? It only makes sense, if you replace them in pairs front or rear. I just did that on my '18 g80 sport AWD....rear tire got damaged, but I replaced both of them.

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
I don't think it's true. Rear tires wear faster anyway, so you'd have to replace them every few months, to match the front ones? It only makes sense, if you replace them in pairs front or rear. I just did that on my '18 g80 sport AWD....rear tire got damaged, but I replaced both of them.

Like I said in my post, my AWD wears pretty evenly front to back but there's a lot of articles about this. I did replace a single tire once because I hit a pothole on a new set with 5000kms on them. That should be okay but replacing a single tire when the rest are at 50% is a no no. AWD systems are designed to evenly distribute the torque to all 4 wheels. If suddenly one wheel has more grip than the rest, it's going to send more torque to that one wheel all the time. Problems won't pop up in the short term so if you only keep a car for 3-5 years like I do then it's the next guy's problem... lol

turnne

Registered Member
My fronts have won faster on the Equus. They tell me its due the heavy weight on the front end versus the rear

Warren

Trumsodo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
i did regular size for winter tire of my sport 2018, and tbh, the corner and acceleration is poorer than the staggering size. Gas is the same

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums