• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Has anyone taken their G70 to a track day?

IV2019

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Has anyone taken their G70 3.3T to a track day or other high performance driving event? I've done some searching and don't seem to have found any actual owners who have done this, only journalists doing it as part of review events.

I'm really wanting a car that can be daily driven, with over 350 horsepower, and can survive some track days. Probably 10 laps at a time, but the brakes and cooling system need to hold up. I'm really curious to hear from actual owners how the G70 has done on a road course track in real life. Am I crazy for considering a G70 and taking it to occasional track days? Probably only 2-3 times a year.

I'm trying to justify upgrading to a g70, and the only thing that can seem to potentially justify it is whether it would be decent on a road course track. My current car is more than fast enough for daily driving on local streets, and has all of the luxury features I need including ventilated seats. If you haven't taken your g70 to a road course track day, why not?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Has anyone taken their G70 3.3T to a track day or other high performance driving event? I've done some searching and don't seem to have found any actual owners who have done this, only journalists doing it as part of review events.

I'm really wanting a car that can be daily driven, with over 350 horsepower, and can survive some track days. Probably 10 laps at a time, but the brakes and cooling system need to hold up. I'm really curious to hear from actual owners how the G70 has done on a road course track in real life. Am I crazy for considering a G70 and taking it to occasional track days? Probably only 2-3 times a year.

I'm trying to justify upgrading to a g70, and the only thing that can seem to potentially justify it is whether it would be decent on a road course track. My current car is more than fast enough for daily driving on local streets, and has all of the luxury features I need including ventilated seats. If you haven't taken your g70 to a road course track day, why not?
I would love to. Unfortunately for me, my work schedule, my wife's work schedule, and child care prevent me from taking a full day to go to a track. I used to autocross when I was single, and I loved it.

Once things settle down a bit that will change, but I've got at least a couple more years before that happens.

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I plan on doing this in the spring 2020 (missed registration this year). More of an advanced driving school with some lap time as opposed to a track day, but we'll see how it goes. The brakes are my concern but I'm one of those people with vibration/glazing right now and I'm working with Genesis to correct it.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I would love to. Unfortunately for me, my work schedule, my wife's work schedule, and child care prevent me from taking a full day to go to a track. I used to autocross when I was single, and I loved it.

Once things settle down a bit that will change, but I've got at least a couple more years before that happens.
Live is awesome but cruel, time is relentless. With time you'll get a better job with a better shift and payment, kids will grow up and will leave you to make their own lives, then you'll have all the time in the world for doing all the stuff you couldn't for the last years but your strength and abilities won't be the same. Keeping your responsibilities do whatever you wanna do at the time you wanted, find the time for doing it and be happy my friend.

Last edited:

IV2019

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I plan on doing this in the spring 2020 (missed registration this year). More of an advanced driving school with some lap time as opposed to a track day, but we'll see how it goes. The brakes are my concern but I'm one of those people with vibration/glazing right now and I'm working with Genesis to correct it.
Sorry to hear about your brake issues. That's not good - hope it gets resolved soon. The advanced driving school will be a blast!

IV2019

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Live is awesome but cruel, time is relentless. With time you'll get a better job with a better shift and payment, kids will grow up and will leave you to make their own lives, then you'll have all the time in the world for doing all the stuff you couldn't for the last years but your strength and abilities won't be the same. Keeping your responsibilities do whatever you wanna do at the time you wanted, find the time for doing it and be happy my friend.
Great advice! I'm trying to do more for myself too. That's part of me wanting to get into a vehicle I can take to the track occasionally.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Just doing some spirited canyon carving, Ive noticed my oil temps hitting almost 250 degrees after a VERY short period of time (15 mins). Keep in mind that its also 100 degrees ambient in my area (2k ft elevation) with less than 10% humidity so YMMV. Brakes seem fine, but might need higher temp fluid to avoid boiling on a track. The G70 would probably be a great car to take to a higher speed track or HPDE event, but my guess is that its too heavy and not track ready enough to do autocross all day or a track with lots of corners where you cant work off the heat built up by the brakes

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
i attended a Genesis Canada VIP event last July (2018) for the G70 launch. they had 6 or 7 3.3T Sports AWD each with a pro driver and an autocross course - maybe 1km long. the event was all day, with ~2 hour time slots per group. each car had 2 or 3 guests and the pro driver who would hand off the wheel after a couple training laps. then, after everyone had done some laps the pros did hot laps, some of them in full drift almost the entire way around. i was impressed with the G70's capabilities, and its ability to handle the drifting with smoking tires for corner after corner. a few of the pros were drift guys, obviously, and were able to make the G70's look like they belonged alongside the 240 Silvia S14's of the world.

the G70's held up well. it was a hot day on even hotter tarmac / skid pad. after the hot laps the cars were taken on a few cool down laps, but there were no cooling issues during the thrashing laps. being an autocross lap, the brakes took a ton of abuse, as did the tires. it was not a high speed course but there were plenty of full-throttle sections between corners, albeit for short duration.

i was told all they'd do is change out the tires, perhaps the brakes, and then the cars would be sold as used (demo?) units. yeah, i bet. i can just imagine the metal shaving build-up on the diff drain plug magnets...

here's a couple pics from the event:

1570031506776.png

1570031570127.png

Last edited:

IV2019

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Just doing some spirited canyon carving, Ive noticed my oil temps hitting almost 250 degrees after a VERY short period of time (15 mins). Keep in mind that its also 100 degrees ambient in my area (2k ft elevation) with less than 10% humidity so YMMV. Brakes seem fine, but might need higher temp fluid to avoid boiling on a track. The G70 would probably be a great car to take to a higher speed track or HPDE event, but my guess is that its too heavy and not track ready enough to do autocross all day or a track with lots of corners where you cant work off the heat built up by the brakes
This is really good to know - for canyon carving, have you felt like you've needed to back off? Thanks!

IV2019

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
i attended a Genesis Canada VIP event last August for the G70 launch. they had 6 or 7 3.3T Sports each with a pro driver and an autocross course - maybe 1km long. the event was all day, with ~2 hour time slots per group. each car had 2 or 3 guests and the pro driver who would hand off the wheel after a couple training laps. then, after everyone had done some laps the pros did hot laps, some of them in full drift almost the entire way around.

the G70's held up well. it was a hot day on even hotter tarmac / skid pad. after the hot laps the cars were taken on a few cool down laps, but there were no cooling issues during the thrashing laps. being an autocross lap, the brakes took a ton of abuse, as did the tires. it was not a high speed course but there were plenty of full-throttle sections between corners, albeit for short duration.

i was told all they'd do is change out the tires, perhaps the brakes, and then the cars would be sold as used (demo?) units. yeah, i bet. i can just imagine the metal shaving build-up on the diff drain plug magnets...
Thanks for sharing - autocross courses generally are not nearly as hard on the car as a road course, where you might have full braking from 100 mph down to 30-40 mph for a turn. Maybe it's wishful thinking that the G70 could hold up to that repeated abuse?

Cost is my main concern. At $1k+ for tires and probably around that ballpark for brakes, I can't justify the cost. Maybe once I'm at higher income bracket.
Yeah, tires can be expensive. But if you don't let them overheat and shred themselves, one set of tires can last a few track days. Having dedicated summer performance tires for the track helps. My previous experience with brembo brakes is that the pads can be replaced for about 400 dollars and you shouldn't need new rotors too often.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks for sharing - autocross courses generally are not nearly as hard on the car as a road course, where you might have full braking from 100 mph down to 30-40 mph for a turn. Maybe it's wishful thinking that the G70 could hold up to that repeated abuse?
^ you'd probably want to swap over to the Sport performance semi-metallic pads which are only found on the 6MT and 3.3T Dynamic (USA) trims. not sure how it would hold up then. i suspect it'd do just as well as any other similarly equipped car (340i, S4, etc) - none of which come from the factory set up for extended track use, but will likely perform well for infrequent sessions with breaks for cooling.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
This is really good to know - for canyon carving, have you felt like you've needed to back off? Thanks!
Never because of the brakes, but I dont like braking too hard and would rather put my fun time into the feel of a corner or acceleration. Slow in, fast out for me. Ive backed off because of the engine temp before. Not because of any weird behavior or loss of power but just out of concern for my $50k daily driven car. I assume if my engine temps are that high, then my transmission temps are prob pretty high too. I doubt any damage would happen if I continued to push it, especially since G70s have done full track days before during events around launch. But since its my car, and the only one I own Im not going to risk it. I want 10 years of reliability out of it.

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The G70 would probably be a great car to take to a higher speed track or HPDE event, but my guess is that its too heavy and not track ready enough to do autocross all day or a track with lots of corners where you cant work off the heat built up by the brakes
Cost is my main concern. At $1k+ for tires and probably around that ballpark for brakes, I can't justify the cost. Maybe once I'm at higher income bracket.
... This. The challenge will be to enjoy the day but not have to much fun and wear out the tires/brakes... We will see

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yeah, tires can be expensive. But if you don't let them overheat and shred themselves, one set of tires can last a few track days. Having dedicated summer performance tires for the track helps. My previous experience with brembo brakes is that the pads can be replaced for about 400 dollars and you shouldn't need new rotors too often.
Still hard for me to justify the cost. My G70 replaced a 2010 Corolla, so I'm adjusting to the sticker shock from higher priced parts that wear out quicker. For now, I'll save/invest my money and stick to tearing up the streets. I'll have my time on the track soon enough

... This. The challenge will be to enjoy the day but not have to much fun and wear out the tires/brakes... We will see
I don't like to half ass my fun, so I'm only going to track the car once I'm comfortable with potentially swallowing the full price tag. If I have some life left in my brakes and tires at the end of the day, it'll be a happy coincidence.

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There's a couple videos of KDM G70s doing full track laps in Korea, and at initial reviews people were generally impressed. A frequent observation is the thermal manangement issues as noted above - the oil and transmission temps get heated quickly and a warning usually pops up after a couple laps before I guess it would go into limp mode. Not sure how well the dynamic editions improve cooling. All in all, it will survive a couple hard laps.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There's a couple videos of KDM G70s doing full track laps in Korea, and at initial reviews people were generally impressed. A frequent observation is the thermal manangement issues as noted above - the oil and transmission temps get heated quickly and a warning usually pops up after a couple laps before I guess it would go into limp mode. Not sure how well the dynamic editions improve cooling. All in all, it will survive a couple hard laps.
According to Genesis the Dynamic edition has an "Upgraded thermal capacity". Supposedly it should handle better the rigor of the track.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There's also a video of that idiot that overcooks the shit out of a corner on a track and slams into a wall ;)

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Second video has English subs and is driven by a professional racing driver (guy in blue sweater). I think the KDM G70 only included LSD in the 2019 models and not before.

Rmsanger

Hasn't posted much yet...

Might I suggest you test driving a Veloster N with PP for around $29k - negotiations/incentives. No it is nowhere near as lux as the G70 but all the driving components are in place for track days and street use. The 10 year warranty on the N is good for track use as well which is not common. A simple JB4 + downpipe will add +100hp/100lbtq to stock and you'll be having tons of fun.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums