Hawk HP+ Brake Pads (Brembo calipers) thoughts

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
I recently installed a set of Hawk HP+ pads on my car. I've used these pads in the past with great success in autocross a few years back. So, I figured I'd give them a shot on my G70.

Part numbers...
IMG_20200630_132513.jpg

I bought these off knsbrakes.com - they have a large selection for our cars (must put the Kia Stinger as your vehicle), ship out products quickly with excellent communication, and their customer service is top notch.

Install is very simple and straightforward, I covered this in a video linked over in my G-LOC install/review thread. But, this time around I turned my stock rotors prior to install, and applied the included high-temp grease on the backside and top and bottom edges of the pads.

Newly resurfaced rotors...
IMG_20200629_193430.jpg

Freshly greased pads installed.
Fronts..
IMG_20200630_131113.jpg
IMG_20200630_125401.jpg

Rears...
IMG_20200630_123243.jpg
IMG_20200630_121535.jpg

I normally don't grease brake pads when installing, as I feel it ends up making a things filthy after a few months of use. I also feel like it ends up being just a bandaid type fix of otherwise noisy pad design. Even so, I wanted to do it this time because l want my car to be quiet. It's a luxury sedan! Things are supposed to be comfortable and quiet when driving normally. So, I figured I'd take the mess and do every thing I could to make things as quiet as possible.

For pad bedding, Hawk recommends doing 6-8 stops from 35mph down to ~10mph. Then, from 45mph to almost zero with moderate brake pressure applied. I did these in a row, with not much time in between slowdowns to get the pads nice and hot. After each successive slowdown you could feel the pads grabbing more and more, and at the very end you could smell them as they were nice and warm.

At the end, I parked the car and let them cool for an hour or two (Hawk states they only need about 15 minutes to cool) then took it for a spin.

Thoughts...

THESE ARE THE PADS THE CAR SHOULD HAVE COME WITH! Seriously, I LOVE these brake pads.

-Initial bite is strong, a solid improvement over stock (and the stock pads do have great initial bite to begin with).

-Pedal feel is improved. That is, the pedal is more firm, and the pads respond very quickly to input.

-High speed driving nets a very reliable and strong response from the pads. These things are very grippy, and are fairly easy to get ABS intervention during aggressive braking.

-Dust: it's too early to tell; but, with past experience these leave a moderate amount of brake dust. Will update after a bit of usage with pics.

-Squeaking is present, though as of now the noise is very quiet and tolerable. You can only hear it with the windows down. This could change, so I'll update the thread as time goes on if there are any changes.

I love these brake pads. If you want a semi-metallic that is much more aggressive than stock, track capable, cost effective, and street friendly - this is your pad.

Hope this helps.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Awesome! So glad to hear it. I hope they continue to be reasonably quiet. I'll keep these in mind for when I have to replace my crazy expensive Genesis Euro/HP pads.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
Update: Pads are performing extremely well.

Initial bite: VERY aggressive. I'd say they are improved from stock in every temperature range.

Grip: Again, very aggressive. These grab much harder than stock along every temperature range. I've got ABS intervention when braking too aggressively.

Pedal feel: Noticeably firmer than stock at all temps and speeds. This improves confidence, especially when at speed.

Noise: They squeak, as expected. They sound very high pitched, like the average brake squeal that you hear on the streets from other cars. These are, for me, tolerable; unlike the g-loc pads I had on before - those were MUCH louder. The squeal on those was painful!

In the end, I love these pads. I have no regrets with my purchase. Even so, I don't think these pads are for everyone. They're very aggressive, probably too aggressive on the street for some, and I'm sure that although I can tolerate the noise, others probably wouldn't. Nothing wrong with that!

Hope this helps.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis G70
That's great Todd, thanks for the detailed feedback. Glad to hear you like them and they're not too noisy.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums