HDA "NAV" icon appearing, I haven't seen the NAV part before

blue92lx

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Curious what this means, today I turned on HDA on the highway and for the first time there was a white NAV icong next to HDA that turned green after a minute. Hoping this is a good thing and not something like my sensor is broken and it's relying on the navigation maps for HDA. Otherwise it drove straight without any issues.

Blackstone99

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
NAV is Navigation assisted cruise. Goes hand and hand with HDA if you choose. I believe it’s on by default.
On select roads it will use GPS and other database info to slow down for curves, adjust speed to match limits, maybe more accurately stay centred? (Not sure on that one)

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
NAV is Navigation assisted cruise. Goes hand and hand with HDA if you choose. I believe it’s on by default.
On select roads it will use GPS and other database info to slow down for curves, adjust speed to match limits, maybe more accurately stay centred? (Not sure on that one)
If it adjusts speeds to match posted limits you could get into an accident on many roads. That can be downright dangerous.

blue92lx

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
So here's what I'm talking about, I was able to go for a cruise tonight and get a couple pictures. I've never seen this NAV symbol before today (I haven't run any updates or anything either since I got the car a month ago). The weird thing too is that it's white here, earlier today it started white and then changed to green.

Attachments

• IMG_20211124_185647.jpg
    IMG_20211124_185647.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20211124_185636.jpg
    IMG_20211124_185636.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 54

blue92lx

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
dang. that's pretty close at 80. looks like metered cruise control
No we were going 20mph at that point near downtown.

Chromonio

Columbus, OH
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
NAV pops up when you are in cruise control (HDA) and you are on a highway and your cruise speed matches the speed limit. If your cruise speed is over the speed limit, you won’t see NAV.

Blackstone99

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
If it adjusts speeds to match posted limits you could get into an accident on many roads. That can be downright dangerous.
Agreed, but it’s a “feature” described in the manual which can be turned off thankfully. It’s possible it will only adjust downwards if you exceed the posted limit rather than automatically increasing to a speed the driver isn’t comfortable with. I’m not sure on that.
It’s also not clear to me if the NAV component of HDA must use the “speed limit guidance” part to function fully. They seem to be separate features but may need to both be in operation to fully utilize the system.
Another point from my manual study, is when the letters are white the feature is selected but not active due to certain conditions not being met, when it’s green it’s all systems go. This may address the concern about certain roads being dangerous for its use.
The above is based on limited seat time (I only got mine less than a week ago) but I did “read” the manual cover to cover once. Lol

blue92lx

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Ok so this is the auto speed adjust setting being enabled. I reset my system a couple weeks ago and must've missed turning that off. The weird thing though is that it's not auto adjusting the speed anyway, I didn't even know it was on until the NAV symbol was there and even in cruise control it seems to not care about the speed limit.

Blackstone99

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Ok so this is the auto speed adjust setting being enabled. I reset my system a couple weeks ago and must've missed turning that off. The weird thing though is that it's not auto adjusting the speed anyway, I didn't even know it was on until the NAV symbol was there and even in cruise control it seems to not care about the speed limit.
I read through again. The feature is Navigation Based Smart cruise control and includes Curve auto slow down, and Auto speed change. If enabled in the driver assist menu it will automatically slow the vehicle down for curves or to the speed limit for that highway. It illuminates white when conditions are met for operation, and green while actively slowing down. It will also give an audible warning. You may only have the curve slowdown feature enabled?
Hope that helps. It also will only operate on state highways, interstates, and other major highways.

blue92lx

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
I read through again. The feature is Navigation Based Smart cruise control and includes Curve auto slow down, and Auto speed change. If enabled in the driver assist menu it will automatically slow the vehicle down for curves or to the speed limit for that highway. It illuminates white when conditions are met for operation, and green while actively slowing down. It will also give an audible warning. You may only have the curve slowdown feature enabled?
Hope that helps. It also will only operate on state highways, interstates, and other major highways.
Weird. Maybe I'll try it again and see what happens. It definitely doesn't slow down or speed up for speed limit changes. I only have a check box to turn it on or off, like there's no separate option to use it only for curves and not speed limit adjustments. I'll see what happens since I need to use the highway a little bit today. Interesting though, thanks for posting that!

None____

This is really helpful, thanks! I'm looking to buy a GV70 in the US and have been so confused as of whether I need HDA2 or not (I want to have the 2.5T advanced which does not have HDA2). It sounds like if all I want is to have the car follow the front car (or go under the cruise speed) while maintaining the center of the lane, then I don't need HDA2. HDA2 is needed if I want auto lane change assist, or these interstate highway curve slow down feature. Is that right?

amazonman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
This is really helpful, thanks! I'm looking to buy a GV70 in the US and have been so confused as of whether I need HDA2 or not (I want to have the 2.5T advanced which does not have HDA2). It sounds like if all I want is to have the car follow the front car (or go under the cruise speed) while maintaining the center of the lane, then I don't need HDA2. HDA2 is needed if I want auto lane change assist, or these interstate highway curve slow down feature. Is that right?
Correct. For the record my base 2.5 standard also has the nav icon light up.

None____

Correct. For the record my base 2.5 standard also has the nav icon light up.
This is great news to me, thank you. So if you have the NAV lights on, does it still have the HDA light on? I think in one of the base 2.5T review video I saw the HDA lights on, but would like to hear it from you.
Two additional questions:
1. How long does the system give you the "hands on the wheel" alarm after not touching the steering wheel?
2. Does the adaptive cruise control/ACC (follow control in front of you) and lane centering assist work from 0mph so that it can manage city stop-and-go traffic?

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners