Headlights/taillights randomly turning off/on.

RocketCityRam

Hasn't posted much yet...
I have a 2015 Genesis with only 17K miles. I generally drive it at night once a week for a 20 mile round trip. Most but not all of the time my headlights (and maybe all exterior lights) shut off and then come right back on once during the trip. There seems to be no consistancy as to when it happens, other than they have been on for at least 3 minutes before it happens. It has done it while driving as well as while stopped for a traffic light. It has done it with the auto hi beam accessory off and on.
Anyone else have this problem or aware of what would cause this?

J Dixon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Anyone else have this problem or aware of what would cause this? [/QUOTE said:
There was a previous thread where a short in the stalk was the culprit. Also, a few have suffered similar infrequent events (like myself), that seem to come from bright exterior lighting near the road that causes the computer to have a momentary brain cramp and the lights go off for a second or two before coming back on.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)

RocketCityRam

Hasn't posted much yet...
Is this option on the '18 G80 Sport?
That's exactly what happens when the lights flash on and off. I generally leave the headlight switch in the AUTO position.
One thing I regularly do/did is this: Whenever I pull into my garage or park anywhere with my headlights on, I have been turning the switch from Auto to On and back to Auto so that the headlights turn off and don't continue to run on the delay feature. I'm thinking this might be good for the battery. However, lately I have been turning the switch from Auto to the parking lamp setting and then back. Since I've been doing this I have had no more problems with my headlamps flashing on and off. Coincidence? Time will tell.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.