Help. I have a big scrape on my brand new G80

DrKK

Registered Member
Baltimore
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I literally have no idea how this happened. I have no recollection of scraping anything, and I can't physically imagine what angle I'd have to be at to have done this. But, behold, my 2 months old 2020 G80.

This piece appears to be plastic, and I've given you three shots, away, mid, and close. I am hoping someone can tell me if this is fixable by me, and if not, what to do? I've emailed my salesman twice, and his manager, but no response yet.

Thanks.
genesis_scrape_1.jpg genesis_scrape_2.jpg genesis_scrape_3.jpg

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Yes, of course it’s fixable at a body shop. You simply scraped a concrete parking lot stop, or more likely a curb. What do you expect your dealer to do????? Your “accident” has driver blame written all over it. Do what I do, blame it on your wife.

Last edited:

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Probably needs a repaint, but try buffing it out yourself first. I've been a little surprised in the past at stuff that could be buffed out. If that fails, then you didn't do any harm because it was going to be repainted anyway. If it succeeds, well then you just saved yourself at least 3 bills.

WPB

Hasn't posted much yet...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Just to make sure - You've run your fingers over this and it is a scrape? From the pictures I can't tell if it's a scrape or something splashed on the surface.

viciousCircle

I literally have no idea how this happened. I have no recollection of scraping anything, and I can't physically imagine what angle I'd have to be at to have done this. But, behold, my 2 months old 2020 G80.

This piece appears to be plastic, and I've given you three shots, away, mid, and close. I am hoping someone can tell me if this is fixable by me, and if not, what to do? I've emailed my salesman twice, and his manager, but no response yet.

Thanks.
View attachment 31380 View attachment 31381 View attachment 31382
Hey!! I have the almost exact same scrape on my G70, but much less primer, far more scratches. I have been trying to get up the nerve to do touch up. I had a scrape like this on my G8 GT, and I was able to very successfully fix it by wet sand, primer it, wet sand, paint it, wet sand, clear coat and wet sand it again. Pretty involved, took about 3 hours over two days, but worked great. My coat is a tri-coat, and I am a bit worried about working with it. I believe your white is as well? - Edit: I mean, I believe you could do the same for your car, possibly. It is white, and it is very hard to match white paint to other white paint, even if it is the exact same paint. It often comes out a shade or two darker/lighter. I guess that would depend on your tolerance for such things.

Last edited:

viciousCircle

Probably needs a repaint, but try buffing it out yourself first. I've been a little surprised in the past at stuff that could be buffed out. If that fails, then you didn't do any harm because it was going to be repainted anyway. If it succeeds, well then you just saved yourself at least 3 bills.
That can't be buffed, that's primer. All the paint is gone. A repaint is more like 5-750. A 300 repaint would be super cheap.

DrKK

Registered Member
Baltimore
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Boo. :(

Thanks for the info so far.

viciousCircle

Boo. :(

Thanks for the info so far.
well, if it's any consolation, I am thinking of just saying eff it, and getting a repaint at a good body shop. I literally feel your pain exactly, lol.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Sand it slightly and cover it with touch-up paint. That way you won't see it as much, and it'll buy time to get it fixed.

DrKK

Registered Member
Baltimore
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
What do you expect your dealer to do????? Your “accident” has driver blame written all over it.
Yeah just for clarity, I am sure it's the driver's fault. Just because I don't know how I could have possibly done it, doesn't mean that I don't accept that I did it. I am sure I did it, I just don't know how.

As for what I expect the dealer to do? Simply tell me if they have a body shop affiliated to the dealership, when and how much it will be to fix it if I went that path, or if they have any other recommendation on how to proceed.

DrKK

Registered Member
Baltimore
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Sand it slightly and cover it with touch-up paint. That way you won't see it as much, and it'll buy time to get it fixed.
Yes I was thinking in those terms. However, the area is about, what, 3 or 4 inches long, and an inch tall. It's quite an area to "touch up". But this was the kind of advice I was hoping people would know more about than I do. Is it reasonable to "touch up paint" such a large area, especially if I am not a car fixin' kind of guy?

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
It won't be pretty but it'll look better than what you have. It's hard to say without seeing it, but if you can get it relatively flat and smooth you should be able to paint on some touch up paint, sold at the dealers parts counter to match your paint color.

Or, put some strips of white plastic tape over it. Easier and less invasive, and almost as effective.

ncvasile

Love my 2018 G80 Sport
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Doylestown PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I just bought touch-up paint from Automotive Touchup for my Genesis G80. The color is Siberian Ice and the color code is RGY. I am going to actually do the touch-up today.
I bought it used, the front bumper has two spots that need touch-up.
I will post before and after pictures. This will be a first for me.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Yes I was thinking in those terms. However, the area is about, what, 3 or 4 inches long, and an inch tall. It's quite an area to "touch up". But this was the kind of advice I was hoping people would know more about than I do. Is it reasonable to "touch up paint" such a large area, especially if I am not a car fixin' kind of guy?
Had a very similar scrape on one of my cars. Bought a spray can of matching paint on line and it made it go away. While it stands out because of the color, it is not like a big blotch on the hood where easily noticed.

Worth a try. Don't like it? Go to a pro, but meantime it is only a few bucks for a DIY job that may be suitable.

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I agree... buy a spray color match, a can of primer and some sandpaper. Take your time and you'll be pretty pleased with the results. If not, THEN take it to a body shop. But I'd save my $350 - to be honest, after you fix it yourself no one will notice but you and you'll soon forget
Bottom front on my car, there was a scrape there - cant see it? There you go.

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Yeah just for clarity, I am sure it's the driver's fault. Just because I don't know how I could have possibly done it, doesn't mean that I don't accept that I did it. I am sure I did it, I just don't know how.

As for what I expect the dealer to do? Simply tell me if they have a body shop affiliated to the dealership, when and how much it will be to fix it if I went that path, or if they have any other recommendation on how to proceed.
Okay. Here’s my recommendation. Every car dealer employs various “on lot” repair contractors. These independent contractors visit dealerships regularly in their vans to repair exterior and interior damage to brand new and used vehicles that the dealer is selling.

What I do is visit the BMW, Mercedes, etc. dealer lots to find the “best of the best” independent repair guys. We chat. I get their opinion and price. Usually they make the repair immediately while I wait, or we schedule the job for another day.

Again, these are independent contractors. They are not dealer employees. HOWEVER, they fix problems like yours every day. Your cash is just as good to them as the dealer they are working for that day. CAUTION: Their repair will never match a proper body shop repair in a case like your damage.

Last edited:

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Your Genny's cherry has been popped, She's no longer virgin new! My deepest condolences. It's frustrating/sad, but eventually there will be some damage (hopefully minor) to a new car.

The pictures show the underlying black plastic has been scratched not just simply the paint being removed.

Options in increasing effort/cost/result:
1) Ignore it - Not acceptable to you per above and me.
2) Buy matching paint and cover it. Acceptable if you're driving a "beater".
3) Sand damaged area with decreasing grit sand paper and paint. This requires experience/skill for a good result. Not a job for a weekend mechanic/body person.
4) Take to dealer/car shop and have them spot repair it (est. $300-$400USD).
5) Have full bumper repainted (est. $600-$900USD). This is the only way to get back to a factory look.

I've done all of the above on the cars I've owned over the year. I am on the ASPCB's watch list (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Bumpers).

On my 2011 Hyundai Genesis 3.8, Sears Auto ran into the car lift. They paid for the repair. It was only $75USD more to get a new bumper and paint it versus repairing existing, Repair and paint preparation is labor intensive/$$$. I chose replace+paint vs. repair+full re-paint as front bumper had usual/typical dings/knicks after 75K miles. 3 weeks later at "highway speed"I ran over a "gator"/semi-truck tread and part of the repair was to re-replace front bumper again (work cost me $1,000USD insurance deductible). Life is hard/not fair! Dealership body shop said they were going to starting keeping replacement bumpers in stock for me ;).

On my 2018 G80 there was a similar scrape on the front bumper at delivery. Car was driven by Dealership owner for 5K miles. Dealership repaired by touching up, but did a crappy job (new paint versus old paint transition obvious, overspray on grill, etc.). A couple months later I drove over a sewer lid sticking up 6"at low speed while parking in a grass field. Genny's have poor ground clearance and not designed for off-roading! Keep it on the hard stuff. It was repairable, but I paid the extra cost (~$100USD) above what insurance was paying to have front bumper replaced/painted.

Last edited:

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
<snip>
3 weeks later at "highway speed"I ran over a "gator"/semi-truck tread and part of the repair was to re-replace front bumper again (work cost me $1,000USD insurance deductible).
I live in Texas, and there's not a single day I drive to work that I don't see at least one of these on I-35. The heat just disintegrates tires.

Last edited:

LandOfConfusion

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Your Genny's cherry has been popped, She's no longer virgin new! My deepest condolences. It's frustrating/sad, but eventually there will be some damage (hopefully minor) to a new car.

I'll be honest -- I'd never thought of a car in these terms. Until now. Thank you. (?)

As to the OP's question, there are a few choices, all mentioned previously. And it depends on the degree of OCD.

1. Take it to one or more body shops for an estimate, pick one, and get it repaired. They'll probably want to remove the entire bumper cover. As someone else pointed out, it's likely $500 to $750.

2. Do a quick DIY fix to buy some time, and then let a professional do it correctly later. Sandpaper might help, but it won't make it perfect. Looks like the scrape gouged into the plastic. It's going to need some filler, but *don't do this yourself* unless you know what you're doing. You can easily make it worse.

3. Do nothing. Bad choice.

4. Blame it on your wife and choose one of options 1 through 3. Even worse choice than No. 3.

bobb4484

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Central Florida
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Some good, some bad suggestions for repair. If this were my brand new G80 return to new condition would be the only way to go.
Anything less and you will never be happy and a proper fix is likely within your means. Good luck.(y)

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums