• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

HID to LED Headlight Conversion

sb24

Getting familiar with the group...
Dallas TX
Hey fellas,

Decided to order the LED headlights off of the 2018 G80 Sport. Anyone done this, and have installation tips? I took MadCat's earlier tip and ordering the harness/adapter from his source on eBay. Thanks in advance!

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
Adds 4.25 horsepower.
No that's a Honda with a sticker.

- - - Updated - - -

But I would like to see it installed and what your impressions are, and if that harness works out. I think the LED lighting system is active for turning so I would like to know if that works as well. I'm thinking about purchasing the LED headlights off the g80 sport model.

sb24

Getting familiar with the group...
Dallas TX
No that's a Honda with a sticker.

- - - Updated - - -

But I would like to see it installed and what your impressions are, and if that harness works out. I think the LED lighting system is active for turning so I would like to know if that works as well. I'm thinking about purchasing the LED headlights off the g80 sport model.
Dang now I have to get a sticker! lol

I will report back with pics on install and thoughts. Give me a couple weeks, got some travel coming up for work.

PatrickStern

Registered Member
Los Angeles
Side note, i really don't think it will add that much to the light output, i would rather spend the money on a new lens for the car, but, then again, that means cracking open the headlights... buying the G80 Sport lights is probably still VERY expensive to do.. DAMN nothing is easy or cheap, haha

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
Side note, i really don't think it will add that much to the light output, i would rather spend the money on a new lens for the car, but, then again, that means cracking open the headlights... buying the G80 Sport lights is probably still VERY expensive to do.. DAMN nothing is easy or cheap, haha
It's cheaper than likes of modding a BMW or Mercedes to be honest. The g80 sport headlights doesn't seem to have much wiggle room, but for 2k or so for comlete led system isn't too bad in relative terms.

StarPower

Registered Member
Virginia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
According to the IIHS, the LED headlights are better than the HID headlights.

The active curve illumination will probably not work without at least a software settings change. You may need to call around to several dealerships to see if you can find one who will do it.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Things would have been so much easier if Hyundai USA had just given us the option for the cool headlights in the beginning. For me it wasn't about HID vs LED as much as it was about the dual projectors in each assembly.

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
I think you have to thank the good old US regulations on the highlight and how light output is determined, that is why you don't see the active matrix led systems on Audis, and the laser headlights for a while.

PatrickStern

Registered Member
Los Angeles
I've seen it in action as well, i'm original from Germany and go back and forth a lot, it's amazing the technology. And i think it's a great safety feature as well... but America does not think so.

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
I've seen it in action as well, i'm original from Germany and go back and forth a lot, it's amazing the technology. And i think it's a great safety feature as well... but America does not think so.
Nice, didn't know you were from that side of the pond.

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
It's A LOT cheaper, Also a loaded Genesis (talking about back in 2016) was VERY VERY expensive in Germany compared to here in the states
Yea, I think that has to do with import taxes on certain things from certain countries. china has a 200 percent tax on cars iirc. a 30k Honda civic is like 75k usd over there.