High beam assist

GaryPSU

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have to push the stalk forward each time I get into the car in order to get the high beam assist icon to appear. The auto high beam doesn’t work if I don’t do that. I can’t find any setting in the manual that will allow it to default to the assist being on.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have to push the stalk forward each time I get into the car in order to get the high beam assist icon to appear. The auto high beam doesn’t work if I don’t do that. I can’t find any setting in the manual that will allow it to default to the assist being on.
There is no option. Yes, you actually have to turn it on every time.
Operating condition
1. Place the light switch in the AUTO
position.
2. Turn on the high beam by pushing
the lever away from you.
3. Smart High Beam ( ) indicator
will illuminate.
4. The Smart High Beam will turn on
when vehicle speed is above 25
mph (40 km/h).
5. The details of operation with the
light switch while the Smart High
Beam is on are below.
1) If the light switch is pushed
away, the Smart High Beam will
turn off and the high beam will
be on continuously.
2) If the light switch is pulled
towards you when the high
beam is off, the high beam will
be on without cancellation of
the Smart High Beam. (When
you hands off, the lever will
move to the middle and the
high beam will turn off.)

GaryPSU

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks, I read that, but it makes no sense. I can add that to the list of things whose default should be changeable (idle stop and go, driving mode, etc.).

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thanks, I read that, but it makes no sense. I can add that to the list of things whose default should be changeable (idle stop and go, driving mode, etc.).
Some of those thing you'd have to take up with the government. You can change modes, but the default has to be the mode used for EPA testing or more economical. It would not be allowed to stay in Sport. That may be true for the stop and go also if that was part of the official test.

As for the headlight, it is handy at times on the highway but I found it useless and even dangerous in a couple of situations. The reaction time going back to high is too long if the road is not flat and fairly straight. Your driving conditions may be better than mine. If I know I'm controlling the lights I'm ready to react. If I think the car is going to do it for me and it does no, reaction time is longer.

GaryPSU

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I assumed that the idle stop and go as well as drive mode would be connected to mpg reported by Genesis. However, my wife’s Honda CR-V high beam assist does not have to be set each at re-start.

JayceM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I assumed that the idle stop and go as well as drive mode would be connected to mpg reported by Genesis. However, my wife’s Honda CR-V high beam assist does not have to be set each at re-start.
Yeah my GMC terrain doesn't have to be reset either for the assist option. It's a little annoying to have to turn it on each time. I guess my driving conditions are better than Ed's because it works flawlessly for me.

rqc

Gainesville, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

This has become the “normal” way for manufacturers to deploy this feature. I wish it could be set to automatically on, My Giulia required this same process. I’m am speculating that some people didn’t understand this feature, couldn’t figure out why their headlights were “malfunctioning,” and auto manufacturers decided this was less hassle for them. 🙄

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
This has become the “normal” way for manufacturers to deploy this feature. I wish it could be set to automatically on, My Giulia required this same process. I’m am speculating that some people didn’t understand this feature, couldn’t figure out why their headlights were “malfunctioning,” and auto manufacturers decided this was less hassle for them. 🙄
I'd not want them on all the time. They work well on the highway but they often suck on some of the back roads. They are quick to dim but too slow to go back up. I've met cars on some roads that had hills and turns and the delay is a danger once you pass so at times you need manual control.

rqc

Gainesville, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'd not want them on all the time. They work well on the highway but they often suck on some of the back roads. They are quick to dim but too slow to go back up. I've met cars on some roads that had hills and turns and the delay is a danger once you pass so at times you need manual control.

I wouldn't want them on all the time either, but I'd prefer the choice to default them to on and then switch them off - that would be my more common usage. However, I can get used to this. I did in my Giulia as well.

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I came home one night this winter through a neighborhood that had few streetlights, many street trees, no stoplights, and no traffic. Homes set well back from the street. The high beam assist was on. It was the first time in city driving that I could see the change from high to normal beams. As I approached a stop sign the sign reflectivity triggered the lowering of beam and once past the intersection it was obvious when the high beams triggered. It was interesting to experience how the system reads the environment.

G-709684

Same with my Mazda 3. Auto high beam stays on and works amazingly. I gope this change in a future software uodate on the GV80. What about the lights moving towards the direction of the road. I cannot see that on my gv80.

G-262585

Same with my Mazda 3. Auto high beam stays on and works amazingly. I gope this change in a future software uodate on the GV80. What about the lights moving towards the direction of the road. I cannot see that on my gv80.
I think that some G70 models do it also. My 2.0 Elite headlamps ”float” but do not move with the steering wheel. My BMW did that.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners