Highly inaccurate digital tire pressure gauge

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I put on my winter tires on my G70 a few days ago and as I always do I check the tire pressure on the tires that get installed that have been sitting in my garage for months. In most cases, the tires need air pumped into them and I have a small air compressor in the garage with a 50ft hose so it's an easy job.

I used to use this analog dial-style air pressure gauge for years and last year bought a digital tire pressure gauge from Amazon because "digital is better", right? The digital gauge also measured in 1/2 found increments so I figured that would also add to the accuracy.

I set the tire pressure on the four winter tires to 36 psi, measuring the pressure with the digital gauge. When I drove to work the next day, I checked the pressure on the dashboard and it showed the pressure at 42 on all tires ! I later checked the same tires with my older gauge and confirmed they were all at 42. The digital gauge said 36. The digital air pressure gauge was 7 lbs off.

IMG_3933.jpeg

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I use a regular dial type gage, not the cheap variety but the ones costing about $30 or so and have always found what it says and my tire pressure monitor system have been within 1 PSI or so. I can get you the brand I’m using if you wish? Outside temp changes and as I drive I do see the TPMS change 1 to 3 PSI but I think that is probably normal for PSI to change slightly.

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I use a regular dial type gage, not the cheap variety but the ones costing about $30 or so and have always found what it says and my tire pressure monitor system have been within 1 PSI or so. I can get you the brand I’m using if you wish? Outside temp changes and as I drive I do see the TPMS change 1 to 3 PSI but I think that is probably normal for PSI to change slightly.
I'm going to stick with my dial tire gauge shown in the photo as it also seems to be very accurate compared to the TPMS, at least when the outside ambient temperature and inside my garage are fairly close.

Ernie3647

Been here awhile...
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Mine are set to 36 in front and 39 in rear as per plate recommendation in door. I actually set them to 34 front 37 rear cold now since the cold Temps are here. After about 20 min. Of driving they're at 36 and 39. I use the digital gauge on my Robi battery operated air pump. I've found it to be very accurate. Same as in car display. 18" tires all around.

BadTrainDriver

Registered Member
Powell, OH
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Mine are set to 36 in front and 39 in rear as per plate recommendation in door. I actually set them to 34 front 37 rear cold now since the cold Temps are here. After about 20 min. Of driving they're at 36 and 39. I use the digital gauge on my Robi battery operated air pump. I've found it to be very accurate. Same as in car display. 18" tires all around.

Set the proper pressure cold. Ignore what it reads above the cold pressure once you're driving. Little protip for you.

CVODON

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
A regular dial pressure gauge is OK, I have one that is 30+ years old that works fine and use it weekly. The digital gauges regardless of price are cheaply made, most in China and just do not work acceptable. If you want a good high quality tire gauge Summit Racing has some very good ones, Just buy one with the Lowest Scale that will fulfill your needs, IE: Don't buy a 0-100# gauge if your tires take less than 40#.

BadTrainDriver

Registered Member
Powell, OH
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Longacre.
Liquid filled dial gauge.
I leave it in the garage, so it's the same temperature as the tires I'm checking(always cold, first thing in the morning.)
It's spot on, and cost me about $50 10+ years ago.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
A gas station by the house installed a fancy digital air compressor that I use now since you just set the pressure you want and fill up tire until it stops. Been pretty accurate.

GarnetTy1473

Been here awhile...
Noblesville, IN
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Always going analog. I tried a $150 digital one on my son's race car, and it was terrible. Went right back to the old analog style.

3.3 Rulz

Registered Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Same story here, I've always had a regular, round tire gauge and it was always accurate, then I bought a digital one at Walmart, and it was off by 5+ psi, so in the trash it went.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Lots of good points (and opinions) made in this thread. Maybe this will become the new "which oil is best" thread, haha.

WhoIsHomer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Edmonton
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I find its best to just put the spout in your mouth and use your tongue to push the valve in, it gives you a better feel for the pressure. Always worked well for me.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums