• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

how are these cars in snow?

mangosmoothie

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Looking to pull the trigger on an R spec in the next few days. One of my reservations is non-lsd RWD in snow.
It only snows a few days a year here and my commute is mostly highway. The car I'm looking at has new all seasons, I don't know which tires specifically.

does these do well enough with common sense and a bit of weight on the rear?

MozartMan

Registered Member
Motown/HockeyTown
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
These cars are great in snow with common sense.

Driving mine for seven winters, since November 2012. Experience was not great when I had all season tires and didn't have any weight in the trunk.

But then wise people suggested to drive on summer tires in summer, and drive on winter tires in winter. And I started doing this four years ago. And world became much better place!

So, I used Michelin Pilot Sport S 3 for three summers, and used Bridgestone Blizzak LM60 for three winters along with four bags of salt (160 lib) in the trunk. I put new Michelin Pilot Sport S 4 on my car this April, and I put new Bridgestone Blizzak WS-80 a month ago along with four bags of salt (160 lib) in the trunk. I can get through any snow as long it is not more than 10 inches so it doesn't scrape the bottom of my car.

Also, tires alone will not make your winter driving experience great. You need to know how to drive in snow.

If those all season tires are still good, and you put weight in the trunk you should be good, if it only snows a few times a year.

Here i Michigan it is not the case.

tprjimmi

Sustaining Member
They're as good as the driver. Great for playing in wide open icy parking lots! I live in an area that gets hit maybe twice a year;no problem with a light foot and the aforementioned common sense.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I had a 2009 Genesis RWD and it was HORRIBLE in the snow, even with great all season tires. Fish tailed all over and had zero grip, especially on hilly terrain. Regardless of how great of a driver you are, the car is not meant for snow.

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
I once lived up in the snow.
They said all-seasons were good to go.
I knew they were liars,
So I got some snow tires
And my RWD car was awesome in snow.

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
I find it amusing that older folks like me only had RWD cars to choose from when we were younger. 4WD trucks could be had and if you had lots of money the FWD Tornado Oldsmobile that came out in the mid 60's was FWD.

mangosmoothie

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I find it amusing that older folks like me only had RWD cars to choose from when we were younger. 4WD trucks could be had and if you had lots of money the FWD Tornado Oldsmobile that came out in the mid 60's was FWD.
Lol my Grandpa had a brown Tornado. What an odd car.

shahhere

Getting familiar with the group...
Montgomeryville, PA area
Genesis Model Type
I had a 2009 Genesis RWD and it was HORRIBLE in the snow, even with great all season tires. Fish tailed all over and had zero grip, especially on hilly terrain. Regardless of how great of a driver you are, the car is not meant for snow.
My 2012 did the same and in about 2" of snow it would get stuck on small uphills and not handle anything with snow/ice combinations when I bought it first.

Been doing the Winter Swap with a set of Winter Tires/Wheel combination and now the car is great in the winter. I think there is still slight slippage but overall the car always gets the traction back. Adding weight probably will correct that.

Been doing the swap at Costco for the last 4 or so years for about $22 for each swap (Winter & Spring). This weekend the price looks to have gone up to $42 :(. I still like it as the local dealers will not balance the tires and only swap/rotate for $20-$40.

Shahhere

MozartMan

Registered Member
Motown/HockeyTown
Genesis Model Type
Been doing the swap at Costco for the last 4 or so years for about $22 for each swap (Winter & Spring). This weekend the price looks to have gone up to $42 :(. I still like it as the local dealers will not balance the tires and only swap/rotate for $20-$40.

Shahhere
I am doing the same - swapping winter wheels/tires with summer wheels/tires at Costco for 4 years. They had price $5 per tire ($20 total), but few months ago the raised price to $10 per tire ($40 total).

shahhere

Montgomeryville, PA area
Genesis Model Type
I am doing the same - swapping winter wheels/tires with summer wheels/tires at Costco for 4 years. They had price $5 per tire ($20 total), but few months ago the raised price to $10 per tire ($40 total).
The Summer wheels/tires, do you deflate them or remove enough air when you store for the winter or leave whats there?

Shahhere

MozartMan

Registered Member
Motown/HockeyTown
Genesis Model Type
The Summer wheels/tires, do you deflate them or remove enough air when you store for the winter or leave whats there?

Shahhere
No, I don't.

And thanks for asking that. Right now two sets of summer wheels/tires for two of my cars are sitting on tire racks (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058BMNVU/) in my garage in upright position. And I just did quick Internet research and it looks like I may be storing them wrong.

EDIT

Here are some links:

Seven Tips For Storing Tires | Continental

Top ten tire storage tips

Last edited:

Vaidhy

Northeast
Genesis Model Type
I live in NJ so not a crazy amount of snow but definitely lot of precipitation and my 2009 RWD sedan did not fare well on all-seasons. I got the car with newish Goodyear Eagle RS-A and they don't like wet roads at all. Having spent two winters being really cautious and getting stuck a couple of times, I finally pulled the trigger on Blizzak WS-80 this winter. Just having first snow of the season and I'm completely happy with my purchase. I have never done the sand-in-trunk trick and I do notice better traction with a fully loaded trunk, but the grip from winter tires is on a different level.

Granted, my all-seasons are crappy for wet driving so what you have might just do the job with sand in the trunk. However, if you do get a good precipitation where you live and drive thru ice/slush frequently, I would recommend dedicated winter tires.

mangosmoothie

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I live in NJ so not a crazy amount of snow but definitely lot of precipitation and my 2009 RWD sedan did not fare well on all-seasons. I got the car with newish Goodyear Eagle RS-A and they don't like wet roads at all. Having spent two winters being really cautious and getting stuck a couple of times, I finally pulled the trigger on Blizzak WS-80 this winter. Just having first snow of the season and I'm completely happy with my purchase. I have never done the sand-in-trunk trick and I do notice better traction with a fully loaded trunk, but the grip from winter tires is on a different level.

Granted, my all-seasons are crappy for wet driving so what you have might just do the job with sand in the trunk. However, if you do get a good precipitation where you live and drive thru ice/slush frequently, I would recommend dedicated winter tires.
Yeah, blizzak's are definitely going to be on the shopping list eventually. Hopefully these new all seasons can get me through this winter and next summer. then I'll throw some blizzaks on the stock wheels and get a summer setup.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums