How did you come to buy your G70?

woofmang

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm interested in hearing people's stories about how they came to buy their G70. I'll start...

One day in the summer of 2019, my wife and I were coming home from somewhere, and as we were getting close to home, I saw a car that really caught my eye. I caught up to it, and as I got next to it, I thought, "Wow! What a beautiful car!" (I'd never seen one before, and couldn't identify it.)

As it turned out, the guy was getting off at our exit, and I followed him up the ramp and turned to follow him until we got to a stop light where I could read that it was a Genesis G70. I Googled it as soon as we got home, and read a bunch of glowing reviews, including the write-up at Motor Trend where they named it Car of the Year.

As the weeks went by, I kept seeing more and more mentions of the G70, and more and more glowing reviews, and even though I wasn't really in the market for a new car, I really wanted to take one for a spin.

So I went to Genesis.com, hit the "Find a Retailer" link, and put in my zip code. But neither of the dealers that came up in my area had a G70 in stock (I think the initial search radius was set to 10 miles from my zip. There were only two dealers that close, and neither one had any G70s).

This happened a few more times before I figured out how I could expand my search radius and told it to show me dealers within 100 miles, and all of a sudden, I found several dealers that had G70s in stock (they've changed the dealer search since then; now all you have to do is click the "View More" button and it automatically expands your search radius).

One of the dealers that had several G70s in stock was about 50 miles up the road from here, pretty close to my wife's office. Around this time, my wife's law firm was having their annual food drive, and she asked me if I would help her get a bunch of stuff and take it up to her office with her.

I said sure, but I want to take a little side trip to look at this car afterwards. I assured her that I had no intention of buying the car; I just wanted to take it for a spin and see what all the hype was about. And I really didn't have any intention of buying a car; in fact, I already had a whole list of reasons why I wouldn't be buying a car that day:
  • They only had one 3.3t in stock, and it was white. I've never had a white car, and there's no way I was going to start now.
  • The white 3.3.t they had was a fairly low trim level (I don't remember what it was, exactly, and in fact, I never even saw the white one), so it didn't have a lot of the options that appealed to me.
  • I was very happy with my 2018 Golf R, and was just waiting for it to rack up enough miles that I could chip it.
  • Besides, I'd had the Golf R for less than a year, so I didn't have much (if any) equity in it, and I figured that a Hyundai dealer wasn't likely to give me a very good trade-in on a Volkswagen.
So I had all my reasons lined up... until we got to the dealer. I pulled in and parked next to this gorgeous black G70 with all the whistles and bells (it had the Sport, Elite, and Prestige packages), still wrapped up as if it had just rolled off of the transport truck.

It was love at first sight.

As I was checking it out, a saleslady came out and started chatting me up. She told me that the car had just arrived on the truck that morning and hadn't been prepped yet, and I told her that was OK, I'd be happy to take the white one out for a spin. She said that the white one had been sold a couple of days before, and wasn't there any more.

She offered to take me for a test drive in a 2 liter, but I told her I wasn't interested in doing that; I was only interested in a 3.3t, and I certainly wouldn't be spending that kind of money on a car without taking it for a spin. She checked with her manager, and they got the service department to do a quick prep on the black one, and we took that one out.

I was already in love with the car just from looking at it parked in front of the showroom, but driving it sealed my fate. All of the reasons why I was not buying a car that day (except for the trade-in issues) were out the window:
  • This car wasn't white; it was black, and it was gorgeous.
  • There were no more options available to add to what this car already had.
  • The car put my Golf R to shame, and I knew it would have put it to shame even if the R had been chipped already.
So when she asked me if I liked the G70 enough to talk numbers, I said yes (figuring that the trade-in would kill it, so I still wouldn't be buying this car, and secretly hating that).

Long story short(er), the used car manager went out to look at the Golf, and there was some consultation between him and the manager and the saleslady. Some phone calls were made, and when she came back, the manager was with her. He told me that the Hyundai dealership was owned by the same company that owned the Volkswagen dealer where I'd bought my Golf R (and a couple of GTIs before that), and that they'd love to have the R back, and offered a very generous trade-in.

That was it. There was no way I was getting out of buying the G70 now. They got me some great financing, and with a small down payment, I'd be driving the G70 for about $100 more a month than I was paying on the Golf.

It was a no-brainer. I wrote a check, signed on the dotted line, and came back a couple of days later to pick up my new G70.

How about you? What made you decide to buy yours?

Boethius42

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Great story! Thank you for sharing. Reading about your experience made me remember mine fondly! Here is how it went.

In early 2018, I started to read about the G70. At the time, I was leasing a 2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400, and the lease was up in July of 2019. I was in no hurry to even think about a new, but when I do, I usually start a year in advance, so that put the G70 on my radar as a car to consider. In the summer of 2018, I happen to be in Ontario, Canada, visiting some friends, and we went to a huge indoor shopping mall. As I turn a corner, I see the Genesis logo, and sure enough, there was a Genesis kiosk inside a store inside the mall. And what did they have? A black Genesis G70. Of course, being in a mall meant I could not do a test drive on the spot, but the car was open to sit in and explore. There was even a person to answer questions. I think I sat in it for 15 minutes as my friends and family went shopping. I was so impressed with the interior that it put the Infiniti to shame. I think I took a few photos and left with a smile.

When we returned home to California, I called the local Genesis dealer. As it turns out, Canada would get them first. He said they would come in early 2019 as a 2019 model. Since they were in Canada, every Youtube video and review came from our neighbors to the north, so I eagerly watched videos, preparing for the day I could do a test drive. Starting in January of 2019, I called the dealer once a month to find out when I could schedule a test drive. I got to know the Genesis sales agent well enough to know each other by name on the phone, yet there were no cars to drive. He explained that part of the problem was 2 things: 1. California had to complete a dealer network of Genesis showrooms, and 2. the car had to pass California emissions, and Genesis had not completed and submitted the paperwork, causing delays. These phone calls went from January - May.

In May, the sales agent said that they had arrived in port, yet there were still complications with the paperwork and releasing the cars. At this point, I started to read reviews from American drivers, so I knew the car was available in the U.S., but not California. In June, I found one in Arizona, and I actually considered driving out there to test drive, so much so, that I read about how to buy cars in other states. I decided I would be patient and not drive to Arizona.

By the end of June, I called on a day that they happened to arrive for test drives, but they had been sitting at port for all of May and most of June. I am sure they were crated, but still, it gave me pause about buying one. Plus, I had a few months left on my Infiniti lease.

Regardless, I went for a test drive. The 3.3T G70 has less horsepower than the Q50 Red Sport 400, but the G70 has more torque. That difference in torque was big enough to make the G70 oh so much faster. The G70 is also a bit smaller, and drives like it. The sales agent let me drive for about 20 minutes, on freeway, surface streets, and all kinds of roads, some smooth and not-so-smooth.

Honestly, I loved the car! The interior was sooo much better than the Infiniti, but it came down to three things that Infiniti did not offer when I leased the Q50: heads-up display, limited slip differential, and ventilated cooling seats.

Since I had owned a 2006 Infiniti G35S and the Q50 Red Sport 400, I had to see what Infiniti could offer me. I left the Genesis dealer and went straight to my Infiniti dealer, even talking to the guy that sold me both Infinitis. As it turns out, there were no Red Sport 400s on the lot, and the only one left in all of California was in Bakersfield (quite far from where I lived). Infiniti stopped making them in order to get ready for the 2020 model, so 2019 models were more rare. In the show room, they had a regular 3.0T (one turbo, not 2, and made about 300 horsepower, not 400). However, this model had all the dealer installed add-ons, including nicer rims, spoiler, and a rare blue paint. When I looked at the sticker price, I almost choked--they wanted over $55,000 for that car! And it was not even the Red Sport! Ok, I thought, maybe the 2019 version is better than the 2016 version, right? So I got in, and nope, it was the identical interior. More importantly, Infiniti still did not offer a heads-up display, limited slip differential, and ventilated seats. There was not even an option to get Apple/Android compatible features, something the G70 has. This was the end of my Infiniti relationship.

It was an easy decision: the G70 3.3T Prestige has every feature I want and was a lot cheaper than the Infiniti. Right after 4th of July, when a second round of G70s came in, I drove it again, and drove the 2.0 just to make sure the 3.3T was the right choice. It was. Better yet, I knew I wanted the Mallorca Blue paint in order to honor my dad's 1970 Mercury Cougar, which I drove all through high school. The Genesis Mallorca Blue is the closest blue I have seen on a modern car to the blue of that Cougar (note: all of my Infiniti cars were silver).

One problem: that was the only color they did not have at my closest dealer. Since I had a relationship from all of those phone calls with the sales agent, I knew I wanted to buy it from him. Lucky, a dealer about 45 minutes a way had the 3.3T Mallorca Blue Prestige in stock, but they were unwilling to do a dealer swap. My dealership had to actually buy the car from them, and then sell it to me! This took a really long time. I ended up going home and waiting for the car to arrive, which happened to be on a Friday evening in Southern California, which means a 45 mile trip took over 2 hours.

So, I said yes to buying the car at 1pm. I had to wait a few hours to do some paper work and confirm they would be able to buy the car. I went home at around 4pm to have dinner. Of course, once the car arrived, they had to clean it and make sure it was ready. Considering traffic, I ended up back at the dealer at 9pm, after they already closed, yet the sales agent, manager, and financial guy all stayed to make sure we finished signing all of the paperwork.

Then I went home with a smile. It was all worth it!

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Your post is so well-written and interesting I want to reply but I want to give it the time it deserves.

woofmang

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Great story! Thank you for sharing. Reading about your experience made me remember mine fondly! Here is how it went.

In early 2018, I started to read about the G70. At the time, I was leasing a 2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400, and the lease was up in July of 2019. I was in no hurry to even think about a new, but when I do, I usually start a year in advance, so that put the G70 on my radar as a car to consider. In the summer of 2018, I happen to be in Ontario, Canada, visiting some friends, and we went to a huge indoor shopping mall. As I turn a corner, I see the Genesis logo, and sure enough, there was a Genesis kiosk inside a store inside the mall. And what did they have? A black Genesis G70. Of course, being in a mall meant I could not do a test drive on the spot, but the car was open to sit in and explore. There was even a person to answer questions. I think I sat in it for 15 minutes as my friends and family went shopping. I was so impressed with the interior that it put the Infiniti to shame. I think I took a few photos and left with a smile.

When we returned home to California, I called the local Genesis dealer. As it turns out, Canada would get them first. He said they would come in early 2019 as a 2019 model. Since they were in Canada, every Youtube video and review came from our neighbors to the north, so I eagerly watched videos, preparing for the day I could do a test drive. Starting in January of 2019, I called the dealer once a month to find out when I could schedule a test drive. I got to know the Genesis sales agent well enough to know each other by name on the phone, yet there were no cars to drive. He explained that part of the problem was 2 things: 1. California had to complete a dealer network of Genesis showrooms, and 2. the car had to pass California emissions, and Genesis had not completed and submitted the paperwork, causing delays. These phone calls went from January - May.

In May, the sales agent said that they had arrived in port, yet there were still complications with the paperwork and releasing the cars. At this point, I started to read reviews from American drivers, so I knew the car was available in the U.S., but not California. In June, I found one in Arizona, and I actually considered driving out there to test drive, so much so, that I read about how to buy cars in other states. I decided I would be patient and not drive to Arizona.

By the end of June, I called on a day that they happened to arrive for test drives, but they had been sitting at port for all of May and most of June. I am sure they were crated, but still, it gave me pause about buying one. Plus, I had a few months left on my Infiniti lease.

Regardless, I went for a test drive. The 3.3T G70 has less horsepower than the Q50 Red Sport 400, but the G70 has more torque. That difference in torque was big enough to make the G70 oh so much faster. The G70 is also a bit smaller, and drives like it. The sales agent let me drive for about 20 minutes, on freeway, surface streets, and all kinds of roads, some smooth and not-so-smooth.

Honestly, I loved the car! The interior was sooo much better than the Infiniti, but it came down to three things that Infiniti did not offer when I leased the Q50: heads-up display, limited slip differential, and ventilated cooling seats.

Since I had owned a 2006 Infiniti G35S and the Q50 Red Sport 400, I had to see what Infiniti could offer me. I left the Genesis dealer and went straight to my Infiniti dealer, even talking to the guy that sold me both Infinitis. As it turns out, there were no Red Sport 400s on the lot, and the only one left in all of California was in Bakersfield (quite far from where I lived). Infiniti stopped making them in order to get ready for the 2020 model, so 2019 models were more rare. In the show room, they had a regular 3.0T (one turbo, not 2, and made about 300 horsepower, not 400). However, this model had all the dealer installed add-ons, including nicer rims, spoiler, and a rare blue paint. When I looked at the sticker price, I almost choked--they wanted over $55,000 for that car! And it was not even the Red Sport! Ok, I thought, maybe the 2019 version is better than the 2016 version, right? So I got in, and nope, it was the identical interior. More importantly, Infiniti still did not offer a heads-up display, limited slip differential, and ventilated seats. There was not even an option to get Apple/Android compatible features, something the G70 has. This was the end of my Infiniti relationship.

It was an easy decision: the G70 3.3T Prestige has every feature I want and was a lot cheaper than the Infiniti. Right after 4th of July, when a second round of G70s came in, I drove it again, and drove the 2.0 just to make sure the 3.3T was the right choice. It was. Better yet, I knew I wanted the Mallorca Blue paint in order to honor my dad's 1970 Mercury Cougar, which I drove all through high school. The Genesis Mallorca Blue is the closest blue I have seen on a modern car to the blue of that Cougar (note: all of my Infiniti cars were silver).

One problem: that was the only color they did not have at my closest dealer. Since I had a relationship from all of those phone calls with the sales agent, I knew I wanted to buy it from him. Lucky, a dealer about 45 minutes a way had the 3.3T Mallorca Blue Prestige in stock, but they were unwilling to do a dealer swap. My dealership had to actually buy the car from them, and then sell it to me! This took a really long time. I ended up going home and waiting for the car to arrive, which happened to be on a Friday evening in Southern California, which means a 45 mile trip took over 2 hours.

So, I said yes to buying the car at 1pm. I had to wait a few hours to do some paper work and confirm they would be able to buy the car. I went home at around 4pm to have dinner. Of course, once the car arrived, they had to clean it and make sure it was ready. Considering traffic, I ended up back at the dealer at 9pm, after they already closed, yet the sales agent, manager, and financial guy all stayed to make sure we finished signing all of the paperwork.

Then I went home with a smile. It was all worth it!
That was a great story, too! Thanks!

frunobulax

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Last June, my 10 year old Infiniti G37s with 120k miles, was about to incur thousands in maintenance/repair (struts, check engine light intermittent, brakes, rear subframe bushing, tires, trans fluid, diff fluid, etc.).

I was sad that Infiniti seemed to have forgotten how to make a car like the G37. I wanted a 4 door sports sedan, that approximated the German driving experience without the German service nightmare and cost. I had previously owned a 1998 BMW M3, and despite being very reliable for a while, the experience after 100K miles was horrific. The cooling system, the brakes, the suspension,the windows, the locks, the ignition key, the seat motors, the headliner, the AC all going bad at once. Each item costing thousands. Only the engine and transmission were working perfectly. That, along with my VW experience, cured me of German car lust forever.

I was resigned to maintaining my G37 and seeing if I could make it to 200k miles, in the hope that a suitable replacement might emerge. I thought maybe Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura would wake up and do something. Subaru might decide to put WRX guts in a larger sedan, like the Legacy, that does not look silly.

I think I googled G37 replacement, and discussions/reviews of G70 popped up (possibly on this site). I had never heard of or seen a Genesis, or considered any Hyundai product. Shocked at the good looks, and the backstory of former BMW engineers working on it, it seemed to me like a dream come true: German like handling, and Asian reliability.

A quick drive to Carmax to see what they would give me for my G37 also shocked me. it was higher than I expected.

I then discovered that the new Hyundai dealer within walking distance was also a Genesis dealer and they had multiple G70s on the lot with a good promotion.

I test drove 4 and 6 cylinder versions. It was clear. 6 cyl was required. The car was nearly perfect. It was a reincarnation of my G37, but better in almost all ways (except gas capacity, fuel economy, trunk and rear seat space).

I resolved to get a G70 3.3 sport. The finances aligned, and all was well. Having bought too many cars recently, I was confident I had figured out how do shut down most car dealer games. I found that most finance managers are smart enough to shut up and get it over with if it is clear I am not budging from car and manufacturer extended warranty only. I found that getting up, and walking toward the door as soon as they try, stops most of them.

I then discovered the hellscape of dealing with Hyundai/Genesis dealers. They are relentless with the games and tricks. All of them I tried were the same.

They all were pushing the same standard car dealer games. Is that part of Genesis sales training? Not one of them could give me an honest quote for the car plus an Genesis (not third party) extended warranty (I keep cars a long time). Most of them lied about the extended warranty and tried to push third-party as the Genesis warranty.

The nearby dealer claimed to offer the Genesis warranty for a good price (well below retail), and with the promotions, the price on the G70 was ok, and possibly slightly better than other dealers.

Thinking I had a solid quote, we started the finance manager game. Despite telling everyone that I was only buying the car and Genesis extended warranty, and assurances that that was all they were going to talk about, the games began. They included all kinds of packages and warranties. I discovered that the warranty was not Genesis. They claimed that it was because Genesis no longer offered the extended warranty I had selected. I had to call the warranty company, and they confirmed that they are not associated with Genesis. The FM also told me that the tire package was required because "only the dealer can change the tires and reset the sensors, and that costs hundreds per wheel to reset the sensors without the package".

I excused myself to "go to the bathroom", and walked over to the service area and asked them if independent shops could reset the pressure sensors, and how much it would cost to do so there. They told me any tire shop could do it.

At that point, I just kept walking and went home, leaving the finance manager with his pile of dishonest paperwork.

They called me and left messages of what a good deal I had, and agreed to include the Genesis extended warranty for the price quoted. I ignored them for a couple of days. Eventually the owner called me, and i succumbed to buying the G70 with the extended warranty for the originally agreed price. The finance manager was completely subdued this time, and tried no tricks.

The G70 sold itself, in spite of the horrific dealer experience.

The car is almost a year old (9K mi), with no issues other than the usual dark chrome issues starting to occur. It's a great car. I am dreading the service experience, but hoping it won't need much.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
prior to spring 2018 i had paid little, if any, attention to Genesis. i am a car enthusiast and follow the industry reasonably well so i was vaguely aware that they'd become a stand-alone brand. my bro-in-law also had a Genesis coupe at the time. but other than that, i paid Genesis no mind.

after ~9 years with my previous G37S 6MT sedan, i was thinking of making a change before maintenance items started to add up. with only ~90k kms on the odo i was probably early for the big ticket stuff, but part of me wanted a change anyways. the G37S had been awesome, and i'd had a G35 6MT sedan before that so i had come to trust the brand. their service was always excellent even though pretty much the only time i used a dealer was for warranty work - of which there was not a lot aside from me nit-picking common issues. the biggest issue was the timing cover gasket re+re, which was a $40 part that cost them ~$3K+ to replace.

i started seeing ads for the G70 in early 2018, maybe around the Super Bowl? i googled it and saw they were offering a manual. this put it officially on my radar. i had also been testing lightly used (~1-2 year old) M240i's and 340i's by that time. that's always been my preferred window to buy (i.e. not new) since i do not lease and i keep my cars quite a while compared to most people. my other criteria: do not buy a first year model; and do not buy from a new brand. i guess i figured if i'm going to break my rule of not buying new, why not break all my rules.

i saw the G70 in person for the first time at the late-March Vancity International Auto Show. it was in Mallorca, with red-stitched quilted nappa. people were all over it. the audi booth next door was a ghost town. the show car was a 3.3T AWD Sport, but had the sweet 10-spoke machined aluminum wheels.

a few days later i placed a pre-order which got me on the list and guaranteed some promotional incentives. between April and my delivery of September 2018, i attended a track day event set up by the local distributor network. tons of fun, and a smart idea by Genesis to build hype.

i had been told there would be a 6MT demo car to try out. this was not the case. my 6MT was the first such car in Western Canada - so i was told. that meant my test drive was a bit muted since i did not want to flog the car that i may end up buying. at first i did not dig the 5-spoke sport rims since i had been promised the 10-spokes that were on display as well as on the Genesis website when i ordered. now i am more than glad that they spec'd the 5 spokers as the Sport rims due to the dust from my Euro semi-metallic pads. it was clear the G70 2.0T did not pull up high like the VQ37 did, but off the line and through 3rd gear the lower-down useable torque meant the G70 was quicker.

i decided to go ahead with the G70, especially since Genesis gave me way more than i had expected for my G37S. so much so it made no sense to sell it privately. Genesis also added to their incentives, giving me additional discounts and financing basically for free.

the G70 has been rock solid so far and i like most things about it. but i do miss the exhaust note from my G37S as well as the sense of it being a JDM muscle car, while my G70 is a much sharper tool but without the blunt force. power from the 2.0T has been good, especially after the JB4, but of course i wish the 6MT came with the 3.3T. but that was never going to happen. my 2 'free' services have gone well enough, but not as nice as the Infiniti service. i also do my own 6 month OCI since i'm old school and do not go with the annual 12k kms interval.

the main gripe with the whole process was that the meatheads at Genesis blew up my old G37S. a few hours after they had done the PDI on it (after my deal had closed) it went up in flames on their lot. some nutsack had not made good whatever had been checked on the electrical. that car was as mint as a 10 year old daily driver could be, with low mileage, and was one the of last remaining examples in my region that should still be on the road carrying the 'save the manuals' flame...poor choice of words there.

csu87

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
After i totalled my genesis coupe, i wanted an AWD sedan with a good, powerful engine. the 335 was the best one in my price range so i went with it (cross shopped the audi a4, hyundai genesis, mercedes, and a few others), but had seen genesis was coming out with the g80 soon that would be pretty similar to what i was looking for and started following genesis. several times over the last 5 years or so weve looked at the g80 but just never pulled the trigger.

fast forward almost 10 years and the bmw is dying and im back in the market for an AWD sedan that was comparable to the 335 w/ or w/o tuning (can always tune it if you have to at a minimum).

its the wife's daily so needed something she was comfortable with, and she prefers the smaller sedans, so was limited to 3 series, a4/s4, c300, q50 and other similar size sedans. The g70 however checked all the boxes for what we wanted (AWD, fast stock, all the bells and whistles), was cheaper than the rest, and had a warranty that wouldnt have me fixing all the dumb little things that tend to die in the german cars after the 3yr warranty is up (averaged 1-2k a year fixing little things on the BMW once it was outside of the warranty).

woofmang

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Last June, my 10 year old Infiniti G37s with 120k miles, was about to incur thousands in maintenance/repair (struts, check engine light intermittent, brakes, rear subframe bushing, tires, trans fluid, diff fluid, etc.).

I was sad that Infiniti seemed to have forgotten how to make a car like the G37. I wanted a 4 door sports sedan, that approximated the German driving experience without the German service nightmare and cost. I had previously owned a 1998 BMW M3, and despite being very reliable for a while, the experience after 100K miles was horrific. The cooling system, the brakes, the suspension,the windows, the locks, the ignition key, the seat motors, the headliner, the AC all going bad at once. Each item costing thousands. Only the engine and transmission were working perfectly. That, along with my VW experience, cured me of German car lust forever.

I was resigned to maintaining my G37 and seeing if I could make it to 200k miles, in the hope that a suitable replacement might emerge. I thought maybe Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura would wake up and do something. Subaru might decide to put WRX guts in a larger sedan, like the Legacy, that does not look silly.

I think I googled G37 replacement, and discussions/reviews of G70 popped up (possibly on this site). I had never heard of or seen a Genesis, or considered any Hyundai product. Shocked at the good looks, and the backstory of former BMW engineers working on it, it seemed to me like a dream come true: German like handling, and Asian reliability.

A quick drive to Carmax to see what they would give me for my G37 also shocked me. it was higher than I expected.

I then discovered that the new Hyundai dealer within walking distance was also a Genesis dealer and they had multiple G70s on the lot with a good promotion.

I test drove 4 and 6 cylinder versions. It was clear. 6 cyl was required. The car was nearly perfect. It was a reincarnation of my G37, but better in almost all ways (except gas capacity, fuel economy, trunk and rear seat space).

I resolved to get a G70 3.3 sport. The finances aligned, and all was well. Having bought too many cars recently, I was confident I had figured out how do shut down most car dealer games. I found that most finance managers are smart enough to shut up and get it over with if it is clear I am not budging from car and manufacturer extended warranty only. I found that getting up, and walking toward the door as soon as they try, stops most of them.

I then discovered the hellscape of dealing with Hyundai/Genesis dealers. They are relentless with the games and tricks. All of them I tried were the same.

They all were pushing the same standard car dealer games. Is that part of Genesis sales training? Not one of them could give me an honest quote for the car plus an Genesis (not third party) extended warranty (I keep cars a long time). Most of them lied about the extended warranty and tried to push third-party as the Genesis warranty.

The nearby dealer claimed to offer the Genesis warranty for a good price (well below retail), and with the promotions, the price on the G70 was ok, and possibly slightly better than other dealers.

Thinking I had a solid quote, we started the finance manager game. Despite telling everyone that I was only buying the car and Genesis extended warranty, and assurances that that was all they were going to talk about, the games began. They included all kinds of packages and warranties. I discovered that the warranty was not Genesis. They claimed that it was because Genesis no longer offered the extended warranty I had selected. I had to call the warranty company, and they confirmed that they are not associated with Genesis. The FM also told me that the tire package was required because "only the dealer can change the tires and reset the sensors, and that costs hundreds per wheel to reset the sensors without the package".

I excused myself to "go to the bathroom", and walked over to the service area and asked them if independent shops could reset the pressure sensors, and how much it would cost to do so there. They told me any tire shop could do it.

At that point, I just kept walking and went home, leaving the finance manager with his pile of dishonest paperwork.

They called me and left messages of what a good deal I had, and agreed to include the Genesis extended warranty for the price quoted. I ignored them for a couple of days. Eventually the owner called me, and i succumbed to buying the G70 with the extended warranty for the originally agreed price. The finance manager was completely subdued this time, and tried no tricks.

The G70 sold itself, in spite of the horrific dealer experience.

The car is almost a year old (9K mi), with no issues other than the usual dark chrome issues starting to occur. It's a great car. I am dreading the service experience, but hoping it won't need much.
Another great story! Thanks!

woofmang

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
prior to spring 2018 i had paid little, if any, attention to Genesis. i am a car enthusiast and follow the industry reasonably well so i was vaguely aware that they'd become a stand-alone brand. my bro-in-law also had a Genesis coupe at the time. but other than that, i paid Genesis no mind.

after ~9 years with my previous G37S 6MT sedan, i was thinking of making a change before maintenance items started to add up. with only ~90k kms on the odo i was probably early for the big ticket stuff, but part of me wanted a change anyways. the G37S had been awesome, and i'd had a G35 6MT sedan before that so i had come to trust the brand. their service was always excellent even though pretty much the only time i used a dealer was for warranty work - of which there was not a lot aside from me nit-picking common issues. the biggest issue was the timing cover gasket re+re, which was a $40 part that cost them ~$3K+ to replace.

i started seeing ads for the G70 in early 2018, maybe around the Super Bowl? i googled it and saw they were offering a manual. this put it officially on my radar. i had also been testing lightly used (~1-2 year old) M240i's and 340i's by that time. that's always been my preferred window to buy (i.e. not new) since i do not lease and i keep my cars quite a while compared to most people. my other criteria: do not buy a first year model; and do not buy from a new brand. i guess i figured if i'm going to break my rule of not buying new, why not break all my rules.

i saw the G70 in person for the first time at the late-March Vancity International Auto Show. it was in Mallorca, with red-stitched quilted nappa. people were all over it. the audi booth next door was a ghost town. the show car was a 3.3T AWD Sport, but had the sweet 10-spoke machined aluminum wheels.

a few days later i placed a pre-order which got me on the list and guaranteed some promotional incentives. between April and my delivery of September 2018, i attended a track day event set up by the local distributor network. tons of fun, and a smart idea by Genesis to build hype.

i had been told there would be a 6MT demo car to try out. this was not the case. my 6MT was the first such car in Western Canada - so i was told. that meant my test drive was a bit muted since i did not want to flog the car that i may end up buying. at first i did not dig the 5-spoke sport rims since i had been promised the 10-spokes that were on display as well as on the Genesis website when i ordered. now i am more than glad that they spec'd the 5 spokers as the Sport rims due to the dust from my Euro semi-metallic pads. it was clear the G70 2.0T did not pull up high like the VQ37 did, but off the line and through 3rd gear the lower-down useable torque meant the G70 was quicker.

i decided to go ahead with the G70, especially since Genesis gave me way more than i had expected for my G37S. so much so it made no sense to sell it privately. Genesis also added to their incentives, giving me additional discounts and financing basically for free.

the G70 has been rock solid so far and i like most things about it. but i do miss the exhaust note from my G37S as well as the sense of it being a JDM muscle car, while my G70 is a much sharper tool but without the blunt force. power from the 2.0T has been good, especially after the JB4, but of course i wish the 6MT came with the 3.3T. but that was never going to happen. my 2 'free' services have gone well enough, but not as nice as the Infiniti service. i also do my own 6 month OCI since i'm old school and do not go with the annual 12k kms interval.

the main gripe with the whole process was that the meatheads at Genesis blew up my old G37S. a few hours after they had done the PDI on it (after my deal had closed) it went up in flames on their lot. some nutsack had not made good whatever had been checked on the electrical. that car was as mint as a 10 year old daily driver could be, with low mileage, and was one the of last remaining examples in my region that should still be on the road carrying the 'save the manuals' flame...poor choice of words there.
Yet another great story! :)

woofmang

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
;)After i totalled my genesis coupe, i wanted an AWD sedan with a good, powerful engine. the 335 was the best one in my price range so i went with it (cross shopped the audi a4, hyundai genesis, mercedes, and a few others), but had seen genesis was coming out with the g80 soon that would be pretty similar to what i was looking for and started following genesis. several times over the last 5 years or so weve looked at the g80 but just never pulled the trigger.

fast forward almost 10 years and the bmw is dying and im back in the market for an AWD sedan that was comparable to the 335 w/ or w/o tuning (can always tune it if you have to at a minimum).

its the wife's daily so needed something she was comfortable with, and she prefers the smaller sedans, so was limited to 3 series, a4/s4, c300, q50 and other similar size sedans. The g70 however checked all the boxes for what we wanted (AWD, fast stock, all the bells and whistles), was cheaper than the rest, and had a warranty that wouldnt have me fixing all the dumb little things that tend to die in the german cars after the 3yr warranty is up (averaged 1-2k a year fixing little things on the BMW once it was outside of the warranty).
Great choice! Happy wife, happy life... ;)

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My story...I am one of the first owners in the USA...

I’m about to get my car...

Last edited:

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I had a Volvo C70 hardtop convertible and the fun was there but the utility was missing. Also underpowered and overweight and the years made the tech obsolete. I needed four doors, safety features and I thought the new S60 would be perfect. Plus it would fit into my garage, the overriding consideration. Went to the Charlotte Car Show in November, 2018 and the first S60 in town was there, driven from the new Charleston, SC assembly plant by the local sales manager after a plant tour. it was...small. I waited a month and went to the Volvo dealer to see the few S60 models they had and it was still just not right. Looking around at A4 and A5 and the Audi colors are grim and limited. Also, price. Research led me to this new thing called Genesis G70. I found this site and devoured all the posts as my education. I focused on the G70. I drove a 2L model and in Sport with paddles it is as much fun and response as I need. I am past my Yee-haw days. There are two dealers in town and the first was an unsatisfactory experience. The other was a revelation. Honest, respectful, knowledgeable, clean and a pleasure to interact with. After the first visit I let him sit for a while and then returned a month later to make the deal. Never had as good a car. This site helped immensely in gaining confidence that this would be the right choice for me. Thank you, belatedly, to all who were here then as well as now. 3yr/10k lease, 410$/mo.

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The first time I ever heard of Genesis was in the Super Bowl commercial. Wait what?!? A 375HP luxury Hyundai? With a V8? And that smug announcer's voice which somehow completely works when it comes to car commercials. I was immediately interested. I loved the fact that they had set their aim on the Germans. I loved that they were the underdog. I felt like the German triumvirate was ready for disruption. I didn't buy the 2009 Genesis, but in the spring of 2010 my Acura TL hit 160K miles and I traded it in on a 2010 V8 Genesis, a car that in many ways I miss: it was the car I took my future wife on our first date in, and it was also the car that I brought home our newborn baby daughter in in 2012. That car's only achilles heel was a suspension which was way too firm on rough roads. When the 2012 mid-cycle refresh happened (with brand-new 5.0 V8 engines), and importantly, revised suspension, I traded in my 2010 for a 2012 Genesis Sedan 5.0 (not the R-spec). I would keep that car until I traded it in for the 2015 DH, which I was completely sold on from the time I first drove one on the track when I was a guest of Hyundai in Korea in October, 2014. I would keep the DH for 120K miles...

I had been following the G70 sub-forum since the G70 was announced. From the first time I saw it I thought it was gorgeous, particularly from the rear. The front was kind of okay, but that derriere... I watched with envy as the first couple of rounds of G70 owners took delivery of their vehicles, first the cheeky Canadians, with all their ludicrous tales of having their cars delivered in essentially a glass box (yup, it's a thing.)

In what seemed like an eternity later, I watched the early US owners start taking delivery of their cars; I honestly believe Beefer was one of the first if not the first person on this forum to take delivery of a G70. A bit later on, I cringed in horror when guys like Toddasauraus (sp?) damaged his turbo housing while modding his G70, and watched with sadness as he departed the Genesis brand afterwards; he was very helpful.

I watched, learned, and bided my time. About this time in 2020 (right in the middle of the pandemic), my 2015 Genesis sedan hit 120K miles. It was time to at least start making some inquiries regarding a G70. There was never any consideration of whether or not I wanted to stick with Genesis, and I knew I wanted a G70. Right off the bat I knew I wanted AWD. Now if you didn't know, I live in Texas, so you're probably wondering, "Why in tarnation would he want an AWD vehicle? It doesn't snow in Texas!!" The answer is, first of all, it does sometimes snow in Texas, not often, but it does. But it was primarily for wet-handling. When it rains in Texas, it can really rain in Texas. I wanted a little more security when that happens (what I would come to find out later is the AWD helps in dry-handling too, but that is a tale for another time.)

The problem is, unless you're buying an Audi or a Subaru, it's not always easy getting AWD sedans in Texas. I started with the Genesis website; none of the dealers even close to me had G70 Sport HTRAC models in stock. I've never been hesitant to put in a drive to buy a new car. If local dealers can't find what I want or aren't giving me the deal options I want, I will drive to a neighboring state.

After some searching I discovered that dealers in Oklahoma do a pretty good volume in HTRAC cars, so then it became a question on deciding on colour (I wanted Mallorca Blue, but all of the MB models had too many miles on them for my taste). So it really became a matter of confirming the miles on the models I was considering, getting my trade priced (all done over the phone), confirming the numbers, and making the deal. I drove from the Austin area to Oklahoma City in May 2020, dropped off my old ride and drove home in my brand new G70.

(Edited: cleaned up grammatical mistakes)

Last edited:

woofmang

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My story...I am one of the first owners in the USA...

I’m about to get my car...
What a great story!

woofmang

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I had a Volvo C70 hardtop convertible and the fun was there but the utility was missing. Also underpowered and overweight and the years made the tech obsolete. I needed four doors, safety features and I thought the new S60 would be perfect. Plus it would fit into my garage, the overriding consideration. Went to the Charlotte Car Show in November, 2018 and the first S60 in town was there, driven from the new Charleston, SC assembly plant by the local sales manager after a plant tour. it was...small. I waited a month and went to the Volvo dealer to see the few S60 models they had and it was still just not right. Looking around at A4 and A5 and the Audi colors are grim and limited. Also, price. Research led me to this new thing called Genesis G70. I found this site and devoured all the posts as my education. I focused on the G70. I drove a 2L model and in Sport with paddles it is as much fun and response as I need. I am past my Yee-haw days. There are two dealers in town and the first was an unsatisfactory experience. The other was a revelation. Honest, respectful, knowledgeable, clean and a pleasure to interact with. After the first visit I let him sit for a while and then returned a month later to make the deal. Never had as good a car. This site helped immensely in gaining confidence that this would be the right choice for me. Thank you, belatedly, to all who were here then as well as now. 3yr/10k lease, 410$/mo.
Love the line "I am past my Yee-haw days" :)

woofmang

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The first time I ever heard of Genesis was in the Super Bowl commercial. Wait what?!? A 375HP luxury Hyundai? With a V8? And that smug announcer's voice which somehow completely works when it comes to car commercials. I was immediately interested. I loved the fact that they had set their aim on the Germans. I loved that they were the underdog. I felt like the German triumvirate was ready for disruption. I didn't buy the 2009 Genesis, but in the spring of 2010 my Acura TL hit 160K miles and I traded it in on a 2010 V8 Genesis, a car that in many ways I miss: it was the car I took my future wife on our first date in, and it was also the car that I brought home our newborn baby daughter in in 2012. That car's only achilles heel was a suspension which was way too firm on rough roads. When the 2012 mid-cycle refresh happened (with brand-new 5.0 V8 engines), and importantly, revised suspension, I traded in my 2010 for a 2012 Genesis Sedan 5.0 (not the R-spec). I would keep that car until I traded it in for the 2015 DH, which I was completely sold on from the time I first drove one on the track when I was a guest of Hyundai in Korea in October, 2014. I would keep the DH for 120K miles...

I had been following the G70 sub-forum since the G70 was announced. From the first time I saw it I thought it was gorgeous, particularly from the rear. The front was kind of okay, but that derriere... I watched with envy as the first couple of rounds of G70 owners took delivery of their vehicles, first the cheeky Canadians, with all their ludicrous tales of having their cars delivered in essentially a glass box (yup, it's a thing.)

In what seemed like an eternity later, I watched the early US owners start taking delivery of their cars; I honestly believe Beefer was one of the first if not the first person on this forum to take delivery of a G70. A bit later on, I cringed in horror when guys like Toddasauraus (sp?) damaged his turbo housing while modding his G70, and watched with sadness as he departed the Genesis brand afterwards; he was very helpful.

I watched, learned, and bided my time. About this time in 2020 (right in the middle of the pandemic), my 2015 Genesis sedan hit 120K miles. It was time to at least start making some inquiries regarding a G70. There was never any consideration of whether or not I wanted to stick with Genesis, and I knew I wanted a G70. Right off the bat I knew I wanted AWD. Now if you didn't know, I live in Texas, so you're probably wondering, "Why in tarnation world would he want an AWD vehicle?" The answer is, for wet-handling. When it rains in Texas, it can really rain in Texas. I wanted a little more security when that happens (what I would come to find out later is the AWD helps in dry-handling too, but that is a tale for another time.)

The problem is, unless you're buying an Audi or a Subaru, it's not always easy getting AWD sedans in Texas. I started with the Genesis website; none of the dealers even close to me had G70 Sport HTRAC models in stock. I've never been hesitant to put in a drive to buy a new car. If local dealers can't find what I want or aren't giving me the deal options I want, I will drive to a neighboring state.

After some searching I discovered that dealers in Oklahoma do a pretty good volume in HTRAC cars, so then it became a question on deciding on colour (I wanted Mallorca Blue, but all of the MB models had too many miles on them for my taste). So it really became a matter of confirming the miles on the models I was considering, getting my trade priced (all done over the phone), confirming the numbers, and making the deal. I drove from the Austin area to Oklahoma City in May 2020, dropped off my old ride and drove home in my brand new G70.

(Edited: cleaned up grammatical mistakes)
Another great story, and thanks for the videos - I never knew about the "delivery in a glass box" in Canada - how cool was that?

alandpeggy

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I'm interested in hearing people's stories about how they came to buy their G70. I'll start...

One day in the summer of 2019, my wife and I were coming home from somewhere, and as we were getting close to home, I saw a car that really caught my eye. I caught up to it, and as I got next to it, I thought, "Wow! What a beautiful car!" (I'd never seen one before, and couldn't identify it.)

As it turned out, the guy was getting off at our exit, and I followed him up the ramp and turned to follow him until we got to a stop light where I could read that it was a Genesis G70. I Googled it as soon as we got home, and read a bunch of glowing reviews, including the write-up at Motor Trend where they named it Car of the Year.

As the weeks went by, I kept seeing more and more mentions of the G70, and more and more glowing reviews, and even though I wasn't really in the market for a new car, I really wanted to take one for a spin.

So I went to Genesis.com, hit the "Find a Retailer" link, and put in my zip code. But neither of the dealers that came up in my area had a G70 in stock (I think the initial search radius was set to 10 miles from my zip. There were only two dealers that close, and neither one had any G70s).

This happened a few more times before I figured out how I could expand my search radius and told it to show me dealers within 100 miles, and all of a sudden, I found several dealers that had G70s in stock (they've changed the dealer search since then; now all you have to do is click the "View More" button and it automatically expands your search radius).

One of the dealers that had several G70s in stock was about 50 miles up the road from here, pretty close to my wife's office. Around this time, my wife's law firm was having their annual food drive, and she asked me if I would help her get a bunch of stuff and take it up to her office with her.

I said sure, but I want to take a little side trip to look at this car afterwards. I assured her that I had no intention of buying the car; I just wanted to take it for a spin and see what all the hype was about. And I really didn't have any intention of buying a car; in fact, I already had a whole list of reasons why I wouldn't be buying a car that day:
  • They only had one 3.3t in stock, and it was white. I've never had a white car, and there's no way I was going to start now.
  • The white 3.3.t they had was a fairly low trim level (I don't remember what it was, exactly, and in fact, I never even saw the white one), so it didn't have a lot of the options that appealed to me.
  • I was very happy with my 2018 Golf R, and was just waiting for it to rack up enough miles that I could chip it.
  • Besides, I'd had the Golf R for less than a year, so I didn't have much (if any) equity in it, and I figured that a Hyundai dealer wasn't likely to give me a very good trade-in on a Volkswagen.
So I had all my reasons lined up... until we got to the dealer. I pulled in and parked next to this gorgeous black G70 with all the whistles and bells (it had the Sport, Elite, and Prestige packages), still wrapped up as if it had just rolled off of the transport truck.

It was love at first sight.

As I was checking it out, a saleslady came out and started chatting me up. She told me that the car had just arrived on the truck that morning and hadn't been prepped yet, and I told her that was OK, I'd be happy to take the white one out for a spin. She said that the white one had been sold a couple of days before, and wasn't there any more.

She offered to take me for a test drive in a 2 liter, but I told her I wasn't interested in doing that; I was only interested in a 3.3t, and I certainly wouldn't be spending that kind of money on a car without taking it for a spin. She checked with her manager, and they got the service department to do a quick prep on the black one, and we took that one out.

I was already in love with the car just from looking at it parked in front of the showroom, but driving it sealed my fate. All of the reasons why I was not buying a car that day (except for the trade-in issues) were out the window:
  • This car wasn't white; it was black, and it was gorgeous.
  • There were no more options available to add to what this car already had.
  • The car put my Golf R to shame, and I knew it would have put it to shame even if the R had been chipped already.
So when she asked me if I liked the G70 enough to talk numbers, I said yes (figuring that the trade-in would kill it, so I still wouldn't be buying this car, and secretly hating that).

Long story short(er), the used car manager went out to look at the Golf, and there was some consultation between him and the manager and the saleslady. Some phone calls were made, and when she came back, the manager was with her. He told me that the Hyundai dealership was owned by the same company that owned the Volkswagen dealer where I'd bought my Golf R (and a couple of GTIs before that), and that they'd love to have the R back, and offered a very generous trade-in.

That was it. There was no way I was getting out of buying the G70 now. They got me some great financing, and with a small down payment, I'd be driving the G70 for about $100 more a month than I was paying on the Golf.

It was a no-brainer. I wrote a check, signed on the dotted line, and came back a couple of days later to pick up my new G70.

How about you? What made you decide to buy yours?
Funny, we are in the process of buying a 2022 G70, but it has to be white. Wanted white interior also but it didn't come with the white. Ended up with black with red stitching interior. Should be hear in a couple of weeks. They have a white in the showroom with tan interior, but didn't like it much.

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Funny, we are in the process of buying a 2022 G70, but it has to be white. Wanted white interior also but it didn't come with the white. Ended up with black with red stitching interior. Should be hear in a couple of weeks. They have a white in the showroom with tan interior, but didn't like it much.
Let us know Mr Bundy.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD

Nice story.

Also shows that it's important who owns and manages that dealership.

A good dealership group will have good service across its brands.

woofmang

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Nice story.

Also shows that it's important who owns and manages that dealership.

A good dealership group will have good service across its brands.
True. Another good thing about the company that owns these dealerships (and a number of others) is that they really don't see themselves as being in the car business, per se; they see themselves more as being in the real estate business: the dealerships just happen to be located on properties that they own (at least that's what I was told by the manager of one of their stores). So all their dealerships are willing to sell at very low margins to make a deal.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums