How do I remote start my Genesis?

Mr. Incredible

G80 gone, still a Hyundai owner. 2021 Palisade
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
if you are asking does you fob do it, then the answer is no.

the only way is through the bluelink app, since you have a 2015-2016 your free time is likely up, so it is a paid service for you.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Just got a note that my BL plan expires next week. No more remote start for me this winter. I'm not willing to pay the insane amount they want per year any more.

Ebbtide

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I just purchased a loaded 2015 Genesis and hate the remote start. The start will not work with my phone and using Alexa is a PIA. Besides I'm not going to pay $200 a year to start the car. I had an aftermarket remote start installed for $250 and it works great. Hyundai is making a mistake charging to start he car. I figure in a year and a half I'll be ahead of the game.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I just purchased a loaded 2015 Genesis and hate the remote start. The start will not work with my phone and using Alexa is a PIA. Besides I'm not going to pay $200 a year to start the car. I had an aftermarket remote start installed for $250 and it works great. Hyundai is making a mistake charging to start he car. I figure in a year and a half I'll be ahead of the game.
Good decision on your part. Since it is "free" for 3 years on the G80 I'm using it, but will do the same if I keep the car beyond that. Since I moved to a warmer climate I've not used the start for three months anyway and using the phone when checking out at the store on a hot day is a PITA too.

wabbajack

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I just bought a 2015 Genesis. I was just about to sign up for bluelink. I don't follow why this would be a PITA.
My typical use case would be the 5pm leave the office routine.
1) Get on my phone and tell the car to fire up and heat the cabin
2) Pack up my things and take the elevator 10+ floors down
3) Walk up 2 flights of stairs to reach my spot in the parking garage
4) Get in and drive

Unless the car cannot get cell reception in the garage (unlikely since it's not fully enclosed), I don't see a problem with $200/year.

Ebbtide

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I just bought a 2015 Genesis. I was just about to sign up for bluelink. I don't follow why this would be a PITA.
4) Get in and drive

Unless the car cannot get cell reception in the garage (unlikely since it's not fully enclosed), I don't see a problem with $200/year.
That's fine for the way you use it but it doesn't work with my phone. I only need it to start from my house and a key fob is much better. Blue link told me to buy a new phone. I bought a new remote start.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
4) Get in and drive

In your case the app is best. The fob is handy when your arms are full and you are on the way to the parking lot. By the time you get the phone out, open the app and the signal is sent, you are in the car.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
4) Get in and drive

$200 a year to use remote start? To each their own. I will just install a good quality Viper remote start for about $300 one-time fee to use remote start as I please; even if I would have to carry an extra Viper key fob. However, the cellphone app will have better coverage and range, so I can see how it can be a good method as well if cost is not an concern.

Mr. Incredible

G80 gone, still a Hyundai owner. 2021 Palisade
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
$200 a year to use remote start? To each their own. I will just install a good quality Viper remote start for about $300 one-time fee to use remote start as I please; even if I would have to carry an extra Viper key fob. However, the cellphone app will have better coverage and range, so I can see how it can be a good method as well if cost is not an concern.

There is a lot more to the app than remote start. That is only one feature.

There is remote start with setting the hvac temp
Remote lock and unlock
Sending poi or addresses to the gps from the app
GPS location of vehicle
Remote vehicle diagnostics
Calendar sync that will send your appointments to the gps system for estimated arrival times
Dealer maintenance scheduling.
Accident alerting and emergency services notifications.
Road side assistance
Etc.

It’s all about what an individual finds value in.

In general it is no different than a AAA account with a lot more features.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
There is a lot more to the app than remote start. That is only one feature.

Remote lock and unlock
Sending poi or addresses to the gps from the app
GPS location of vehicle
Calendar sync that will send your appointments to the gps system for estimated arrival times
Road side assistance
Etc.

It’s all about what an individual finds value in.

In general it is no different than a AAA account with a lot more features.

Well said. If remote start is really (without kidding yourself) the only feature you are interested in then it may not be worth it to you. Spend 200 this year and next against spending 300 (or more) once and bank on keeping the car for several years.

However, I find many of these other features very useful and use some every day.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I use the ones in red virtually every day

• Remote lock and unlock (not necessarily to lock or unlock but to check to see if I remembered to lock)
  • Sending poi or addresses to the gps from the app
GPS location of vehicle
  • Calendar sync that will send your appointments to the gps system for estimated arrival times
Road side assistance

Mcub3d

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Which starter are you using?
That's fine for the way you use it but it doesn't work with my phone. I only need it to start from my house and a key fob is much better. Blue link told me to buy a new phone. I bought a new remote start.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums