How does this compare to Audi A5 sportsback?

shaselai

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Thread starter #1
I am looking for a reliable, luxury 4 door car and i am basically down to A5 sport, g70 (need to test drive) and stinger. I really dont like how the stinger is still part of kia - at least genesis is removing itself from Hyundai.

In any case, i think a loaded A5 is ~55k. With best negotiations *maybe* 50k. I am curious if a G70 at that price point is better? I guess a gt2 or just normal? i am not really a performance person s not sure i need gt2 either. But my goal is a long lasting car... Any comments? thanks

Tonester

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I am at a similar place as you. Waiting to test drive the G70 in comparison to A5 Sportback. Clearly the Audi will have a more spacious back seat (by a little) and a much larger storage area under the hatch (~3x larger!). If I got the Audi, I'd probably try to find a clean CPO Prestige model for around mid 40's. If you are not a performance enthusiast, you could compare the A5 to the G70 with 2.0 engine and save around $10K in the process; depending on options/trim of course. For me, I really like the idea of the G70 with 3.3T engine. With that combo, pricing compares similar to a well specced A5 Sportback. In truth, the A5 SB performance wise is really in between the G70 with 2.0 and 3.3 with regard to 0-60 times. Audi gets a lot out of their 2.0 and it's been around for a few years. A5 gets much better fuel economy than G70 with either engine. Audi also has the more refined interior with infotainment knob and virtual cockpit display.

G70 will have the novelty of being "something different and unique" whereas the Audi is a little more boring, but will have more refinement and a proven track record as well as a more established brand. Tough call!

shaselai

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Thread starter #3
Yeah... i am trying to get a loaded A5 with some bonuses for 50k. I think the package that i was looking for online for the A5 (prestige +warm+drive assist) is maybe 54ish? if it happens i will take it. I like the overall design. I am not performance guy so i could stick with the 2.0 if i pick g70 - the grill is so ugly though...

I am in no rush to get a car so i can wait. I know my car is getting there so if worse come to worse and i need a car "this week", i will at least know which cars to chase - A5, G70(pending). Maybe Stinger if i am desperate and RDX is nice for value but i can't stand the length and size of it....

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
If your goal is "long-lasting," how can you beat the Genesis/Hyundai/Kia warranty? 5/60,000 basic & 10/100,000 powertrain.

KDX

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I am looking for a reliable, luxury 4 door car and i am basically down to A5 sport, g70 (need to test drive) and stinger. I really dont like how the stinger is still part of kia - at least genesis is removing itself from Hyundai.

In any case, i think a loaded A5 is ~55k. With best negotiations *maybe* 50k. I am curious if a G70 at that price point is better? I guess a gt2 or just normal? i am not really a performance person s not sure i need gt2 either. But my goal is a long lasting car... Any comments? thanks
I would suggest test driving the Stinger GT2 and see if you like that first. It will give you an idea of what the G70 is like.

Electrode

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'm with you, but finding a new or used Prestige with the warm weather package and driver assist (adaptive cruise etc) will be difficult. It's pushing into S5 price territory and I don't see many loaded A's on dealer lots. Plus, the whole soon to be obsolete Google earth thing on '18s is a problem. Maybe they will offer better packages for '19 models. Driver assist really should be standard.

shaselai

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Thread starter #7
I'm with you, but finding a new or used Prestige with the warm weather package and driver assist (adaptive cruise etc) will be difficult. It's pushing into S5 price territory and I don't see many loaded A's on dealer lots. Plus, the whole soon to be obsolete Google earth thing on '18s is a problem. Maybe they will offer better packages for '19 models. Driver assist really should be standard.
I think with android or iPhone connect fixes the map problem...
I dont know why so many have sport packages and not so much warm...

shaselai

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Thread starter #8
I would suggest test driving the Stinger GT2 and see if you like that first. It will give you an idea of what the G70 is like.
I test drove it. I liked the car overall but accidentally sped too often. Only thing is it's a kia... if the stinger spun off like genesis it would've been easier to swallow

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
I test drove it. I liked the car overall but accidentally sped too often. Only thing is it's a kia... if the stinger spun off like genesis it would've been easier to swallow
Do you really think a ONE model car dealership selling Stingers would fly? Genesis is hurting with only 2 models, but with the G70 coming and SUV's within a year or so, there's hope.

YEH

Registered Member
Do you really think a ONE model car dealership selling Stingers would fly? Genesis is hurting with only 2 models, but with the G70 coming and SUV's within a year or so, there's hope.
Kia would have 2 models (let's not forget the K900), but that still wouldn't be nearly enough to warrant a separate lux brand and dealer network.

Kia has been talking about adding 1 (or more) RWD lux CUVs, but still wouldn't warrant a spin-off.

Kia simply doesn't have the resources to do a full (basic) lux line-up like Genesis has planned.

However, they should think about doing a sub-brand and getting a diff. badge for their lux models (like the Hyundai logo, the Kia emblem just doesn't cut it on a lux model).

kmooney4

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Would be interesting to see Genesis absorb the Stinger... I know that will never happen... but it would be interesting nonetheless. A Genesis hatchback with that engine it and the build quality and service expectations of Genesis would be an interesting combo... just playing devil's advocate (sort of LOL)

devellis

Been here awhile...
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Would be interesting to see Genesis absorb the Stinger... I know that will never happen... but it would be interesting nonetheless. A Genesis hatchback with that engine it and the build quality and service expectations of Genesis would be an interesting combo... just playing devil's advocate (sort of LOL)
I agree on both counts: It would be interesting and kind of cool. It will never happen.

Edmguy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I personally think the G70 is about the same or maybe just below in regards to ride quality (isolation, smoothness) but better in regards to handling. Now I am comparing an S5 sportback to a G70 Sport 3.3T. If cost was the same or within a few grand, I would have gone with the sportback due to looks and interior, but it isn't close so I went with the G70.

My buddy though has a 2018 S5 Sportback (the one I have driven as I never really wanted to spend the extra ~$20K so didn't test drive one). It will be interesting to see how each one ages as he purchased his new a few months before me and we have agreed to constantly swap over time. :)

shaselai

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Thread starter #17
I personally think the G70 is about the same or maybe just below in regards to ride quality (isolation, smoothness) but better in regards to handling. Now I am comparing an S5 sportback to a G70 Sport 3.3T. If cost was the same or within a few grand, I would have gone with the sportback due to looks and interior, but it isn't close so I went with the G70.

My buddy though has a 2018 S5 Sportback (the one I have driven as I never really wanted to spend the extra ~$20K so didn't test drive one). It will be interesting to see how each one ages as he purchased his new a few months before me and we have agreed to constantly swap over time. :)
Isn't the G70 sport 3.3t loaded ~50k or am i mistaken? I am actually trying to get an A5 ~52k OTD. I think that amout is what i am willing to pay in general...

Edmguy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
In Canada my G70 sport 3.3T was about $59K with taxes. My buddies S5 sportback was $78K with taxes. A loaded A5 sportback here is I think about $68K with taxes.

So hard to compare with what you are looking at. Again I was comparing fully loaded to fully loaded. On the German's you might be able to get a base model for similar price as a loaded G70 but I personally hate knowing there are options for my car that I don't have. lol

shaselai

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Thread starter #19
In Canada my G70 sport 3.3T was about $59K with taxes. My buddies S5 sportback was $78K with taxes. A loaded A5 sportback here is I think about $68K with taxes.

So hard to compare with what you are looking at. Again I was comparing fully loaded to fully loaded. On the German's you might be able to get a base model for similar price as a loaded G70 but I personally hate knowing there are options for my car that I don't have. lol
ah... and do you have the mileage problem people mentioned here?

Edmguy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Problem? It gets worse mileage than my old inline 6 BMW's but then it has more power so it is somewhat to be expected. It is true it isn't great, but it isn't bad considering how fast the car is and so imo it isn't a problem, just a slight negative. :)

My only complaint regarding mileage is that the tank is too small so I find myself filling up every 5 days or so which is irritating.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.