How head-up display of speed limits is generated

lobewiper1

Hasn't posted much yet...
chicago
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hi All,

I'm curious to learn where the 2018 G80 head-up display obtains its speed limit information. Sometimes, it seems like it "reads" the speed limit signs, and sometimes, it seems like it uses GPS. Anyone know how it works?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hi All,

I'm curious to learn where the 2018 G80 head-up display obtains its speed limit information. Sometimes, it seems like it "reads" the speed limit signs, and sometimes, it seems like it uses GPS. Anyone know how it works?
It is in the navigation maps. Amazingly accurate too. At times it will change withing a few feet of passing a sign on the road. I've seen it post a different speed, but it is right 99.9% of the time. My Garmin has the same ability on the maps too, but with built in nav I've not used the Garmin for years, just in Europe.

lobewiper1

Hasn't posted much yet...
chicago
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thanks for the input, EdP. My wife's BMW X3 correctly changed the speed limit in a construction zone shortly after passing the reduced speed limit sign. (From 60 to 45). We felt that things such as temporary road construction speed limit changes couldn't be captured by navigation because such speed changes are highly unpredictable. Thoughts?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thanks for the input, EdP. My wife's BMW X3 correctly changed the speed limit in a construction zone shortly after passing the reduced speed limit sign. (From 60 to 45). We felt that things such as temporary road construction speed limit changes couldn't be captured by navigation because such speed changes are highly unpredictable. Thoughts?
Some nav systems get real time information as you drive. Usually, it is traffic information in the larger cities. They will change your route on the fly if there are major backups. I don't know if Genesis does that, but looks like BMW does. I just took a peek at the Garmin web page. One of their models not only give you traffic new, but as you near your destination you will get prices for nearby parking. Big brother is watching you!

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I don't believe the Genesis reads speed limits, though I don't have an explanation for your test case. That would be a cool feature though!

lt2211

Sustaining Member
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hi All,

Not sure how it works but it is really helpful. Can't tell you how many times,in the past, when on a trip, the question came up "anyone know the speed limit"? Now that's not a question anymore. Thumbs up to the head up display. I love it. Eyes aren't that good at reading the speedometer, too close and too dark during sunny days.Then the car steers itself and keeps you a safe distance from the car ahead. What more could we ask for?

onailrof

Getting familiar with the group...
I don't think it's reading the signs. The speed limits changed in Northern IL a couple of years ago and the car still shows the old speed limit. I think it has to do with the map system.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
BMW's system reads the signs as you go. It is a real time approach in comparison with Genesis that just shows you preloaded data from the Nav based on your location.
What happens when there is no sign? I don't see that working all that well as many secondary roads are not well posted but state law says they are xx mph, I travel a couple of unmarked roads yet the navigation knows it is 40 mph. I think there is more to the BMW system than looking for signs.

phil1980

Getting familiar with the group...
What happens when there is no sign?
Genesis doesn't show speed limit all the time. Only where speed limit data has been added earlier to the Nav.

BMW recognizes a lot more signs than just speed limit ones. If you see the sign on the screen, but you didn't pass one - it was taken from the Nav. Recognized sign data has a priority over pre-loaded sign data. There are a lot of fail reports for that system though. For example, it can recognize the speed limit sign on the back of another vehicle and treat it as a valid speed limit for that road. It could be your case...

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
BMW recognizes a lot more signs than just speed limit ones. If you see the sign on the screen, but you didn't pass one - it was taken from the Nav. Recognized sign data has a priority over pre-loaded sign data. There are a lot of fail reports for that system though. For example, it can recognize the speed limit sign on the back of another vehicle and treat it as a valid speed limit for that road. It could be your case...
Hybrid or combo makes more sense. With autonomous cars in the future, recognition will have to be pretty foolproof for stop signs and such unless map data was updated daily.