How is it in the snow?

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
We are taking delivery of an advanced in a few days, I know the GV60 is awd. Very curious of opinions on how it drives when the roads get some snow on em. We live in the Buffalo NY area and we get some snow every now and then.

fredf

Registered Member
Toronto
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV60
I’ve read reviews of the Ioniq 5 that praises its snow capabilities.
I live in Toronto and just got my winter tires installed 2 days ago…just after last weeks snow so I haven’t had personal experience yet.

With only all,season tires. Unfortunately the rear window didn’t fare well.

Last edited:

Looney100

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Year
I'm often confused by the 'good in the snow' comments. To me, there isn't too much to say about one modern vehicle vs. the other in that regard, with much of what matters being knowable in advance of purchase. It seems to be a question of some moderately simple physics.
  • What's the ground clearance like?/What depth can I make it through?
  • How heavy is the car?
  • Is the car FWD/RWD/AWD/4WD?
  • How is power distributed?
  • Does the car have stability control?
  • What kind of tires will I be driving on?
  • What's the F:R weight balance?
  • What type of suspension is on the car?
I may be missing a couple things, but you get the picture. Winter handling - at normal speeds/forces is just a matter of traction - which is really dictated by road conditions and tires - which are not necessarily unique to the vehicle, and how acceleration force is distributed among the wheels. Going back several years, you had some cars with awful weight balances and crummy differentials that may have sent power to all the wrong places. Nowadays with ABS and VSC being standard issue that's not much of a concern. Even basic control systems are decently capable.

To answer your question, it is quite good - basically the same in the snow as the last four vehicles that I've owned with the exception of varying ride heights and what that may mean in exceptionally deep snow that we shouldn't really be attempting to drive in. They've all had excellent winter tires, AWD, ABS, VSC, and been fairly heavy. There isn't much to differentiate from there.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

upa

Registered Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV60
The only thing I would add is the snow mode is actually very useful. It splits power 50:50 all the time to front and rear axels and more importantly it cuts regen to level 1. Otherwise in very slippery conditions and during heavy regen your car might want to excessively oversteer and swap ends unexpectantly.