How many folks took their car in for the Brake Fluid TSB?

palloverspec

Sustaining Member
Maryland
Hello my fellow Genny lovers.

Well, I took my car into the dealer today for the TSB brake fluid campaign.

In speaking with the service rep, she had no idea that it was going to be a mandatory recall in November. I informed her of the nature of the recall....inspection of the ABS system for gel sludge, and replacing the brake fluid from DOT3 to DOT4.

Ironically, she told me the TSB campaign, states the very same thing.

I wonder how this is going to play out? NHTSA will be doing their own probe regarding the brake failure. If I had to guess, they might make Hyundai replace the ABS unit regardless.

Reasoning behind this is, if you had the DOT 3 fluid, how can Hyundai find out if corrosion has started in the braking system which might lead to brake failure after the DOT 4 replacement. This part of the equation is still puzzling me.

Any thoughts on this? :grouphug:

In addition, I would like to share with this forum an excerpt of my receipt regarding the fluid change.

VI EQUUS, BH GENESIS SEDAN BRAKE FLUID REPLACEMENT
(SERVICE CAMPAIGN TL6)
AS OUTLINED IN CAMPAIGN BY HYUNDAI
20C022R0
BRAKE FLUID REPLACEMENT
.7 M/H

My brakes do feel different. Meaning, I have to step a little harder on the pedal to stop as compared to the old fluid (DOT3). Now this could be my imagination, or this could be they adjusted my tire air pressure.

Philth

Been here awhile...
Yeah, I'm not sure how Hyundai is going to quantify when an ABS unit as at risk for failure. I'm guessing that they are going to recall only the fluid if the vehicle is displaying no symptoms of brake failure. They may come out with a statement extending the warranty of the ABS module for an extended period of time though. It's not uncommon for things like that to happen.

Retry

Registered Member
North Mississippi
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I have a 2012 and my dealer told me my VIN will not be included in the recall. I must already have DOT 4. I'm not exactly sure how they know that but I'll wait and see if I receive a recall notice in the mail.

katman0

Been here awhile...
I have a 2012 and had the brake fluid change done in the spring due to a low pedal. I have not seen a big change as I can still push the pedal way too far down while braking. I am taking it back in next week to have it looked at.

Southern Boy

Registered Member
I posted the following on several threads discussing and cussing brake problems and fluid changes, for what it's worth.

"When I had the brake fluid changed out on my Genesis I asked my Technician if the TB Hyundai issued was due to the reported brake failure / fading reported.

He said no that Hyundai just decided that DOT 4 synthetic was the correct brake fluid for these vehicles.

He went on to explain that the intermittent failures and fading brake problems was traced back to the ABS units. It seems that some of these ABS units had air bubbles internally and no matter how many times they were bled all of the air bubbles couldn’t be removed, so the policy was just to replace them when there was complaints of intermittent brake failure / fading.

This could be the problem. I have posted this on another thread on this site detailing these braking problems, but what my technician told me about the ABS unit problem was the first time I heard this explanation"

I have no reason not to believe this technician since he is the only mechanic who works on my car whenever I bring it in for service or whatever.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I have a 2012 and my dealer told me my VIN will not be included in the recall. I must already have DOT 4. I'm not exactly sure how they know that but I'll wait and see if I receive a recall notice in the mail.
The recall is for Genesis sedans manufactured April 1, 2008, through March 16, 2012. So that means a manufacturing line change was made to DOT-4 on March 17, 2012. You can find your build date in the drivers door jamb.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I posted the following on several threads discussing and cussing brake problems and fluid changes, for what it's worth.

"When I had the brake fluid changed out on my Genesis I asked my Technician if the TB Hyundai issued was due to the reported brake failure / fading reported.

He said no that Hyundai just decided that DOT 4 synthetic was the correct brake fluid for these vehicles.

He went on to explain that the intermittent failures and fading brake problems was traced back to the ABS units. It seems that some of these ABS units had air bubbles internally and no matter how many times they were bled all of the air bubbles couldn’t be removed, so the policy was just to replace them when there was complaints of intermittent brake failure / fading.

This could be the problem. I have posted this on another thread on this site detailing these braking problems, but what my technician told me about the ABS unit problem was the first time I heard this explanation"

I have no reason not to believe this technician since he is the only mechanic who works on my car whenever I bring it in for service or whatever.
At this point, you should have every reason to not believe the dealer technician, given the information in recent news releases from Hyundai concerning the recall.

A casual reading of various threads on this forum from members who have complained about brake failure to their dealers reveals that Hyundai refused the replace the ABS units unless the dealer could replicate brake failure, which in most cases was not easy because it was an intermittent problem.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
The recall is for Genesis sedans manufactured April 1, 2008, through March 16, 2012. So that means a manufacturing line change was made to DOT-4 on March 17, 2012. You can find your build date in the drivers door jamb.
When looking at the original TSB created in May 2013 that I found on www.hmaservice.com it shows more detailed info on build dates than what I posted above (apparently different for Equus and Genesis):

Applicable Vehicles:
  • VI Equus produced from July 13, 2010 to March 16, 2012
  • BH Genesis sedan produced from April 30, 2008 to March 28, 2012

Retry

Registered Member
North Mississippi
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
When looking at the original TSB created in May 2013 that I found on www.hmaservice.com it shows more detailed info on build dates than what I posted above (apparently different for Equus and Genesis):

Applicable Vehicles:
  • VI Equus produced from July 13, 2010 to March 16, 2012
  • BH Genesis sedan produced from April 30, 2008 to March 28, 2012
Mine turns out to be 5/09/12, so I guess that's why I don't qualify.

Vince2

Registered Member
I read about the TSB here on the forum and I had my car in the next day for the service. That's maybe 3 months ago. I had not realized that my "grabby" brakes had been corrected by the service. I was reading here that someone had the service and now there brakes aren't as sensitive and grabby. That's exactly my experience and, funny thing, I hadn't occurred to me that the brakes are responding better, after the flush, until I read it here.

BTW the brakes are less sensitive in a good way.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I read about the TSB here on the forum and I had my car in the next day for the service. That's maybe 3 months ago. I had not realized that my "grabby" brakes had been corrected by the service. I was reading here that someone had the service and now there brakes aren't as sensitive and grabby. That's exactly my experience and, funny thing, I hadn't occurred to me that the brakes are responding better, after the flush, until I read it here.

BTW the brakes are less sensitive in a good way.
If your grabby brakes got better, that was most likely a result of the brake flush procedure, and not why they changed the fluid from DOT-3 to DOT-4. In other words, same result probably would have happened with DOT-3 brake flush.

shagnat

Registered Member
Mine was done before I bought it in July of '13. Previous owner did all the routine maintenance etc. but, otherwise didn't take very good care of this fine automobile. I've found at least 10 items that had to be corrected since I purchased it.

xiaphin

KDModerator
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Bay Area
Genesis Model Type

Philth

Been here awhile...
The recall is official on NHTSA's site now. Got the email this morning.

"SUMMARY:
Hyundai is recalling certain model year 2009-2012 Genesis vehicles manufactured April 30, 2008, through March 28, 2012. The vehicles may contain brake fluid which does not protect against corrosion of the Hydraulic Electronic Control Unit (HECU).
CONSEQUENCE:
If the module corrodes, reduced brake effectiveness may result, increasing the risk of a crash.
REMEDY:
Hyundai will notify owners and instruct them to bring their vehicle to a dealer for service. For vehicles manufactured prior to June 01, 2010, dealers will change the brake fluid and inspect the HECU, repairing it as necessary. For vehicles manufactured after June 01, 2010 dealers will flush the HECU assembly and brake system and change the brake fluid. These repairs will be done free of charge. The recall is expected to begin by the end of December 2013. Owners may contact Hyundai at 1-800-633-5151 or by email at consumeraffairs@hmausa.com. Hyundai's recall number is 114."

palloverspec

Sustaining Member
Maryland
For vehicles manufactured prior to June 01, 2010, dealers will change the brake fluid and inspect the HECU, repairing it as necessary. For vehicles manufactured after June 01, 2010 dealers will flush the HECU assembly and brake system and change the brake fluid. "
Does this really make sense. For vehicles manufactured after June 01, 2010 Hyundai will flush the HECU assembly and change the brake fluid. Why not inspect the HECU also.

How do we know there will be no latent effects because of the DOT 3 brake fluid.

Just don't get it.

Am I missing something here?

I guess the real question here, is has anyone who owns a vehicle manufactured after June 01, 2010 experienced any brake pedal issues which resulted in the ABS module being changed. If so, it would be Hyundai's best interest to inspect the HECU also.

When I was at the dealer, the sales rep informed me they did look for gel sludge on the ABS unit and didn't find any.

Philth

Been here awhile...
That's the same exact question I asked Hyundai yesterday. Have yet to receive a reply. There is no way that they will be able to properly identify an ABS unit which has been affected by the DOT 3 brake fluid.

StealthWyvern

Getting familiar with the group...
my fluid was changed during regular maintenance on the car. However I just took it in for the brakes going to the floor last friday. I'll report back with their findings.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Does this really make sense. For vehicles manufactured after June 01, 2010 Hyundai will flush the HECU assembly and change the brake fluid. Why not inspect the HECU also.

How do we know there will be no latent effects because of the DOT 3 brake fluid.

Just don't get it.

Am I missing something here?

I guess the real question here, is has anyone who owns a vehicle manufactured after June 01, 2010 experienced any brake pedal issues which resulted in the ABS module being changed. If so, it would be Hyundai's best interest to inspect the HECU also.
Another question is, if one has a car manufactured prior to June 01, 2010, but has already had the brake fluid changed under the old TSB (no inspection), does that mean these cars will not get their HECU inspected? According to previous Hyundai reports, they are only going to notify customers who have not already had the brake fluid changed to DOT-4.

When I was at the dealer, the sales rep informed me they did look for gel sludge on the ABS unit and didn't find any.
Do not ever believe what a car salesman tells you. That does not mean that everything they say is false, but if they see any benefit is lying they will do so with impunity.