• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

How many folks took their car in for the Brake Fluid TSB?

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
You are correct. They should take care of their current customers first. When this car came out in 09' they didn't have any consumer data to bounce against. Now they know all the issues from the TSB's, consumer complaints and maintenance records that they can apply correct fixes for in this model.

Again, only time will tell.
The reason they should take care of the current customers first is that a current Genesis owner is 5 times more likely to buy another Genesis than a random car buyer. By taking care of their current customers, I mean fix the problems with their current cars, not just try and sell them a new one that fixes the problem. I only have 46K miles on my car and don't need a new one right now, but some day I will.

Alwaysforward

Been here awhile...
South Florida - Treasure Coast
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
The reason they should take care of the current customers first is that a current Genesis owner is 5 times more likely to buy another Genesis than a random car buyer. By taking care of their current customers, I mean fix the problems with their current cars, not just try and sell them a new one that fixes the problem. I only have 46K miles on my car and don't need a new one right now, but some day I will.
As I stated, "They should take care of their current customers first". I totally agree with you. I have been a loyal Honda buyer for years and know all to well how a great car manufacture takes care of their customers.

I am not saying that Honda doesn't have issues, but that they have taken care of every issue I have had with my cars. That is why we have owned Honda cars since the mid 80's.

I am looking forward to being part of the Genesis (Hyundai) family and hope to contribute even more to this forum.

jackfax

Registered Member
Philly
Mine was fixed in 2013 unDer the recall. I have a 2009 Genesis V8. I reported brake problems approximately 5 times. They finally came through and haven't had an issue since.

Fredder

Getting familiar with the group...
Nova Scotia
Bought my 2011 3.8 in January.
Just had the brake fluid and switch recalls done, no probs.

Elevated

Hasn't posted much yet...
I had my ABS fail on me today while driving and almost got into a bad wreck. I was near to the dealer I've always done my oil changes and they told me there is no such recall (it was a internet rumor) and only way to fix the issue is to pay the $2,600 or drive the car carefully. Opened a case with Hyundai and also reported it to the highway association. The car is a 2012 3.8 with 67,000 miles. Paid it off 2 months ago....to think I was seriously considering purchasing a new Equus. After seeing the treatment I just got no more Hyundai for me. If they do not fix the issue under recall I'm turning in the car and going back to BMW. It's a shame because I really do like the car.....

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I also have a 2012 3.8, and the dealer did the brake fluid TSB a couple years ago.
The original HECU units (anti-lock brake module made by Continental) had a defect in that they had metal plated valves that easily corroded and eventually failed. The new HECU's have a different plating on them to resist corrosion (I forgot when the new ones started being used).

The recall was to replace the DOT-3 brake fluid with DOT-4, because the DOT-4 had some improved anti-corrosive additives. During the recall, the dealer was supposed to inspect the HECU to see if there were any obvious leaks or problems. However, the problems occurred inside the HECU and it was impossible to see if there was only partial corrosion that had not failed yet.

So the bottom line is that even if the recall was done to replace the brake fluid, there is no guarantee that one of the older HECU units will not eventually fail, and if it fails out of warranty (5 years or 60K miles) Hyundai position is to not pay for it.

I would definitely file a complaint with the NHTSA online, and open a case with HMA.

A few years ago, I exchanged quite a few emails with investigators at NHTSA, but could not get them to recall all the HECU's with the bad valves, even if they had not failed yet, since I think all of them will eventually fail. I think it is a disgrace considering the number of people who have experienced brake failures.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
We just bought my mom's 2009 V6 Genesis (20,000 miles :)) and when I drove it with her I noticed the brakes were really bad. She never noticed it. I took it in a couple of weeks ago and they said the HECU unit was failing so they put me in a rental and it took a week to get parts/repaired.

All works great now. Scary stuff had they failed 100% while we were driving around.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
We just bought my mom's 2009 V6 Genesis (20,000 miles :)) and when I drove it with her I noticed the brakes were really bad. She never noticed it. I took it in a couple of weeks ago and they said the HECU unit was failing so they put me in a rental and it took a week to get parts/repaired.

All works great now. Scary stuff had they failed 100% while we were driving around.
Was it covered under the recall, or did you have to pay?

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
100% covered.
Forgot to ask if you had an extended warranty. The normal warranty on the HECU is 5 years or 60K miles. But maybe they are paying for any HECU failure regardless of warranty?

redmondaia

Hasn't posted much yet...
I have a 09 V6 3.8 sedan. I took the car in to the dealer 2 years ago in response to the recall. Changed the brake fluid only, and no inspection. Car was manufactured in May 2008. Having read this thread, I can see that they should have done a complete inspection of the module as well.
I have experienced brake failure twice in the past couple of months, have had the brakes inspected and the techs tell me there is nothing wrong. I took it to the dealer yesterday, and he quoted me $5K for the HECU, parts only. At this point it is almost worth the value of the car!
Has anyone out there had Hyundai come back with replacement of the recalled parts at this time? I have the dealer receipts of the work done in the past, thank God.
Hyundai came through with a reimbursement program for the wiper motors, so I am hoping they come through with this replacement. I love this car! I was a Lexus owner prior to purchasing this car, and I have been very happy with the performance.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I have a 09 V6 3.8 sedan. I took the car in to the dealer 2 years ago in response to the recall. Changed the brake fluid only, and no inspection. Car was manufactured in May 2008. Having read this thread, I can see that they should have done a complete inspection of the module as well.
I have experienced brake failure twice in the past couple of months, have had the brakes inspected and the techs tell me there is nothing wrong. I took it to the dealer yesterday, and he quoted me $5K for the HECU, parts only. At this point it is almost worth the value of the car!
Has anyone out there had Hyundai come back with replacement of the recalled parts at this time? I have the dealer receipts of the work done in the past, thank God.
Hyundai came through with a reimbursement program for the wiper motors, so I am hoping they come through with this replacement. I love this car! I was a Lexus owner prior to purchasing this car, and I have been very happy with the performance.
There is no way to inspect the inside of the HECU, unless it is already visibly leaking to the outside of the unit.

I would contact HMA (Hyundai Motor America) and open a case ASAP. Please report back what they say.

Also, go to this site and file an complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. It only takes a couple of minutes:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
The recall is for Genesis sedans manufactured April 1, 2008, through March 16, 2012. So that means a manufacturing line change was made to DOT-4 on March 17, 2012. You can find your build date in the drivers door jamb.
Problem is, this isn't true. I have a build date January 10, 2012 and I brought it in today because i have been experiencing this issue with pedal to the floor. They looked it up by VIN and told me it's not part of the recall and when I look it up myself it also shows no open recalls or closed ones for that matter either. My 2012 5.0 should fall under the recall due to its production date, but according to Hyundai it doesnt. Now i dont know what to do. It obviously was made with the malfunctioning ABS unit but they are apparently not taking responsibility for my car although they are taking responsibility for over 40,000 of them. Just not mine.

Suggestions?

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums