• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

How many ways can you spell UGLY

jediscuba

Getting familiar with the group...
Being the proud owner of a 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track, I'll ask the Hyundai factory design team ... How many ways can you spell UGLY. You've taken a stunning high performance coupe and turned it into a beastly looking creation. You've taken the beautiful flowing lines of the front hood and turned them into a cross between a bucked tooth bull and a football player with an ill fitting mouth guard.

The non functional hood vents are another question. Why just glue plastic on? Either it adds form and function or leave it behind in the dust.

How disappointed am I in the new design. Well, let's put it this way. My lease is up in November. Though I was looking forward to a new Genesis Coupe in my garage, that is not to be the case. I was hoping the folks back at the factory actually listened to the polls they put out. It seems our responses were wasted on deaf ears. We all wanted the V-8 with it's impressive 429 Hp. We begged for improved headlights with LED day time running lights. We wanted larger, wider tires and wheels. We wanted some form of refinement in the cabin. Yes, the Track is to be a sports machine. but wood trim, a better GPS, more like the Garmin, and other refinements would have been appreciated. these were not to be ... save the LED DRL ... thank you.

NO, I've made my decision! There will not be a 2013 Genesis Coupe in my garage. No car with that fugly front end will ever grace my home. And by the way ... why do we need or even want "Blue Link"? My smart phone or your I-Phone give you all that and more ... and at no additional cost.

Guys get real, copy from the likes of classy vehicles like Jaguar. Forget about lowly Mazda. If you want my money ... give me the sort of car I'll be proud to drive and be seen in. Not a car that needs plastic surgery or orthodontics straight out of the factory! :mad:

Crave1

Hasn't posted much yet...
East Coast
Hi,
Just went down to look at the new 2013.....OMG UGLY. No WOW factor at all. My 2012 2.0 turbo makes heads turn. The 2013 puts me to sleep. The vents on the hood? The big ugly grill???? SO diaapointed. The beefy lines are gone as well. Somebody has lost the vision sad to say. Hopefully if they listen (and fire a few) 2014 will come back with passion.

If it don't look good on the outside who cares about the inside?

Even the salesman said.... uhhh....ya....I know. :(

Vince2

Registered Member
Well add me to the chorus. I wont say its ugly but I like the previous version better...I really thought the next version of the coupe would up the ante cosmetically. I assume the cosmetic change was presented to focus groups, previous owners, dealers, et al and the changes were given the thumbs up. I first saw the previous coupe in a parking lot and it was, and still is, a stunner. I am a 2nd time Sedan owner with a new 2012. I love the new ride, engine and tranny but cosmetically they could have left it alone and scored more points with me.

Ruissimo

Registered Member
Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's been said many times before... this futuristic design language has got to go!

Too many creases and angles, and worst of all... gaping-mouth front grills!

Not every car is a GT-R, nor should they all be! Why slap these ginormous grills on every freaking car that comes out these days? I sure hope Hyundai is paying attention - my guess is they won't sell as many 13's as they did 12's for the full year... and the reason will be MOSTLY cosmetics. My opinion of course.

Here's where they stand mid-year (mind you, Hyundai doesn't break these volume #'s down between sedan and coupe):

June 2012: 3,374
June 2011: 3,149
Change: +225 (+7%)

First Half 2012: 18,982
First Half 2011: 15,454
Change: +3,528 (+22.8%)

Guess we'll never really know how the Coupes are doing - especially since some of those 2012 numbers could be 2012 MODELS. But Hyundai will know. And if they do... there may be a refresh of that front end at some point. ;)

It actually doesn't look all that bad in SOME of the colors.

Top Gear

Been here awhile...
Me too. I got the 2012 mainly because of those bugaboos of design in the 2013, plus the lower cost. Somehow the 2013 looks shorter and smaller overall, and you simply have to get black (making black plastic trim disappear). Still, it just doesn't look as refined, in a way, and certainly not as exotic as before. I think the 2010-12 design will look good for a long time to come.

danrstevens

Me too. I got the 2012 mainly because of those bugaboos of design in the 2013, plus the lower cost. Somehow the 2013 looks shorter and smaller overall, and you simply have to get black (making black plastic trim disappear). Still, it just doesn't look as refined, in a way, and certainly not as exotic as before. I think the 2010-12 design will look good for a long time to come.
I drove a 2012 and walked away very unimpressed, started searching for a used BMW or Z. The next week I found out a new 2013 was in local showroom (this was last April). It was night and day. How could you drive both and buy the 2012? The 2012 may have been about styling but the 2013 is about driving. Personally I much prefer the 2013 look, but that is me and a subjective opinion, too which we are all entitled, but the driving qualities difference is objectively measurable and stunning. Perhaps I like the way it looks because I so like the way it drives.

Top Gear

Been here awhile...
Of course it's mostly subjective, Dan. For the most part, there are few objective "facts" about what is pretty or ugly. Whichever style you get used to or connect with, the other might tend to look "uglier" or whatever, but beyond opinions, the 13s look very different and Veloster-like, despite small actual changes to the exterior. However, there is no difference in the ride.

I'm sure you were comparing the two different suspensions (2.0T Base, 2.0T Premium, 3.8 GT VS 2.0T R-Spec, 3.8 R-Spec, 3.8 Track). There is a big difference between these two groups in terms of ride and handling, but that difference is the same from 10-12 to 13. The two groups are easy to spot in stock form as the red Brembo brakes and 19in darker silver wheels go with the track-tuned suspension, where the plain brakes and 18in lighter silver wheels go with the regular sport suspension. Which ever group your car is in, I'll wager that 2012 you drove was in the other ;)

danrstevens

I am very familiar with the different variants. I compared 2.0T base models. There was huge difference in power and feel.

dbx

Registered Member
I'm the proud owner of a 2013 2.0T Coupe, and I love this car so far. In fact, I was driving on company business a year ago, when a black coupe (likely, the same model 2013) tooled by me on a two lane highway. I thought to myself, "Wow, that's a cool looking car....I wonder what it is?" A little over a year later (2015), I bought a pre-owned 2013 Coupe with 20K miles on it for $16.9. I couldn't be happier.

I'm a mid 50's guy, but I can tell you that this model appeals to several generations. My 3 children (all in their 20's) love it. People that work for me (30yr old range) think it's awesome. Just yesterday, a lady in her mid 40's who I know, but hadn't seen me drive this car commented, "Oh, Mr. Hollywood, driving around in a sports car?":)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

zielritter

Been here awhile...
Union, KY
Beauty really IS in the eye of the beholder. I much prefer the updated/refreshed version of the Genesis Coupe...
Same. Refreshed version looks more modern and aggressive like a sports coupe should. I think the original tried to straddle a balance between the aggressive sports coupe like a 370Z and the sophistication of the G37. It ended up doing a stand out job in neither.

Top Gear

Been here awhile...
And yet, zielritter, your opinion is also in the eye of a beholder. Keep in mind, sales of the Coupe (and Sedans) peaked in 2011, and have declined ever since. The marketplace preferred the first design(s), which in my beholder's opinion having been around a lot of Coupes, is far sleeker and refined despite being earlier. I like the Veloster on its own, but making the Coupe look like one from the front was not wise. Like other car makers, Hyundai made random changes because sales slumped, but then sales slumped even more because the changes were strap-ons. What they should have done was leave the look basically alone and add a 5.0 R-Spec option, which is what the market really wanted. Meanwhile, they built yet another concept car that may never see the light of day. Also with the Sedan, they finally got some attention with the 5.0 R-Spec, and then seemingly the next month released a whole new design that looks like yet another Chrysler truck. So, we'll see if there is even a Genesis badge to be found in a year or two ;)

Last edited:

zielritter

Been here awhile...
Union, KY
And yet, your opinion is also in the eye of a beholder. Keep in mind, sales of the Coupe (and Sedans) peaked in 2011, and have declined ever since. The marketplace preferred the first design(s), which in my beholder's opinion having been around a lot of Coupes, is far sleeker and refined despite being earlier. I like the Veloster on its own, but making the Coupe look like one from the front was not wise. Like other car makers, Hyundai made random changes because sales slumped, but then sales slumped even more because the changes were strap-ons. What they should have done was leave the look basically alone and add a 5.0 R-Spec option, which is what the market really wanted. Meanwhile, they built yet another concept car that may never see the light of day. Also with the Sedan, they finally got some attention with the 5.0 R-Spec, and then seemingly the next month released a whole new design that looks like yet another Chrysler truck. So, we'll see if there is even a Genesis badge to be found in a year or two ;)
We also saw a lot of positives changes around 2011 in the specs of entry level sport coupes of other manufacturers in the US. Most notably at this point Chevy, Dodge and Ford finally introduced a V6 that gave good performance in their base model coupes.

I would think these introductions probably bit into the Genesis's domestic sales a bit. The MPI V6 was getting a bit long in the tooth at that point for the price of admission.

Top Gear

Been here awhile...
Yeah, I agree. The competition is better and more numerous than in past periods, and the differences between cars now are paper-thin. I guess the social pressure to "buy American" is a part of it, too, not to mention confusion between the two Koreas (I can see people thinking, "Why would I buy a car from Kim Jong Un?" ;)).

zielritter

Been here awhile...
Union, KY
Yeah, I agree. The competition is better and more numerous than in past periods, and the differences between cars now are paper-thin. I guess the social pressure to "buy American" is a part of it, too, not to mention confusion between the two Koreas (I can see people thinking, "Why would I buy a car from Kim Jong Un?" ;)).
Those people are too dumb to breed. I hope I never run into someone incapable of making that distinction.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums