How-To: Change your Fog Light Bulbs

OneFunGenesis

<- Runnin' on Empty
Rochester, NY
Good day. I just replaced my fog light bulbs last night. Here is a comprehensive write-up.

Tools Needed:

Short Phillips Screw Driver

Time Needed:

About 30 mins for a first timer

Procedure:

1) Start the vehicle and turn the steering wheel to the right (this gives you access to the driver side wheel well).

2) Shut the vehicle off with the wheel held to the right.

3) Get your screw driver and look for the push pin in the wheel well (should be at about 10 o'clock if looking straight at the side of the car).

4) Unscrew that push pin.

5) Now look under the car. There will be three push pins under the car.
  1. Where the bumper corner meets the inner fender well
  2. Directly below the fog ligh
  3. A little closer to the center of the car
6) Once those are out, pull the bottom liner down and to the back of the car.

7) Pop the liner over the bumper edge in the wheel well

8) Reach your hand in there and you will feel the fog light bulb.

9) UNCLIP the electrical from the bulb first
*** NOTE: You MUST do that first to get the bulb out***
10) For the driver side, twist the bulb clockwise and pull it out.

Reverse procedure for reinstallation

For passenger side, follow the procedure above with these two exceptions

For step 2, hold the wheel to the left now. For step 10, twist the bulb counter-clockwise to get it out.

Hope this helps everyone.

Best

OFG

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
At least on early Genesis models, the cheap cardboard reflector can melt if overheated.
  1. What bulb did you use for a replacement?
  2. Are there any low-heat bulbs available (such as LED) that have a yellow tint (to be functional as a fog lamp)?

OneFunGenesis

<- Runnin' on Empty
Rochester, NY
The bulb was a stock Sylvania from auto-zone. Same ones I took out.

There are amber LED's but they will not have usable light output. They will just look yellow when looking head on lol

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
The bulb was a stock Sylvania from auto-zone. Same ones I took out.

There are amber LED's but they will not have usable light output. They will just look yellow when looking head on lol
Seems you have a well-rounded understanding of lighting OF:) I know you've done your homework and also put in your own time modding lighting. I highly respect your lighting viewpoint.:cool:

xiaphin

KDModerator
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Bay Area
Genesis Model Type

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
I installed Lumenics 5150K bulbs to match the HIDs, and even replaced the High Beams on my 2012 V6 with 5150K, so ALL the lights match now.

karlthek

Hasn't posted much yet...
Michigan
Excellent instructions. I found I could do it on my 2009 Tech 4.6 without removing the "10 0'clock" pin. And as an add, those pins are a bugger to get back in once expanded. Wrap some lightweight sewing thread around the expanded pin (screw out) 4-5 times, no knot necessary. That will keep the pin compressed in place long enough to put the screw in.
Thanks again.

radicaltimes

Been here awhile...
If anyone has had a newer Harley coming at then you will know that there is no problem with output on LED's anymore. The main problem is keeping the diodes cool.

Philth

Been here awhile...
There's a huge difference in quality and output of LEDs between aftermarket and OEM.

Fast55

Been here awhile...
Actually the difference is what you pay for. There are very high quality and very bright aftermarket LED's. The problem is, you have to look for them, and more importantly, you have to pay for them. There is no such thing as a cheap, high quality LED.

shagnat

Registered Member
Being old keeps me from doing much maintenance work at all. And if I have to get on the ground/driveway/garage floor etc. forget it!
Took my Genny to the dealer to have my fog light fixed and the 2 recalls, low and behold they charged me nothing!! Also, had the windshield wipers (supplied by me) replaced..... all at no charge!!! Pretty good service IMHO.

suntzuaow

Registered Member
Good day. I just replaced my fog light bulbs last night. Here is a comprehensive write-up.

Tools Needed:

Short Phillips Screw Driver

Time Needed:

About 30 mins for a first timer

Procedure:

1) Start the vehicle and turn the steering wheel to the right (this gives you access to the driver side wheel well).

2) Shut the vehicle off with the wheel held to the right.

3) Get your screw driver and look for the push pin in the wheel well (should be at about 10 o'clock if looking straight at the side of the car).

4) Unscrew that push pin.

5) Now look under the car. There will be three push pins under the car.
  1. Where the bumper corner meets the inner fender well
  2. Directly below the fog ligh
  3. A little closer to the center of the car
6) Once those are out, pull the bottom liner down and to the back of the car.

7) Pop the liner over the bumper edge in the wheel well

8) Reach your hand in there and you will feel the fog light bulb.

9) UNCLIP the electrical from the bulb first
*** NOTE: You MUST do that first to get the bulb out***
10) For the driver side, twist the bulb clockwise and pull it out.

Reverse procedure for reinstallation

For passenger side, follow the procedure above with these two exceptions

For step 2, hold the wheel to the left now. For step 10, twist the bulb counter-clockwise to get it out.

Hope this helps everyone.

Best

OFG

Would I be able to reach the fog light assembly this way and push back in if the brackets are still there? I hit a piece of tire and the bottom portion of my fog light is loose and can be pushed in.

celiboom

Genesis Model Type
Sorry for the thread bump but From my research , I need h8 led to replace my fog oem lights. The ones on the diode dynamic website are 150$ which seems very pricey.

My concern is that I want the color to match the headlight on my 2012 tech genesis. But I also don't want to buy something that will melt my car.

Any idea which bulb brand to buy that will meet my requirements?

Thank you

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.