How to fix Broken pin on fuel door actuator for 2015 Genesis Sedan

Stumblebum

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Pretty sure the pin is broken as the actuator itself works fine. I tried the WD40 quick fix just to make sure, but the unit operates as it should.

I am guessing I closed the door a bit too hard while I was in a hurry. I am hoping someone has figured out a way to lengthen the pin so it will catch the holder. It seems stupid to have to replace the entire actuator because the pin sheared off from closing the door.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dean

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Haven't a clue. Mine actually sticks shut, unless I slightly press the door in before I open it... I've tried WD-40, Silicone spray & etc. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

What gets me everytime I fill up with gas is that I find it appalling that they actually put a plastic filler door on a $57K automobile! Just like my wife's Kia Soul...

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
Haven't a clue. Mine actually sticks shut, unless I slightly press the door in before I open it... I've tried WD-40, Silicone spray & etc. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

What gets me everytime I fill up with gas is that I find it appalling that they actually put a plastic filler door on a $57K automobile! Just like my wife's Kia Soul...
Skipgen I had the same problem. I sprayed it with some silicon spray and it made it worse. I then removed any and all types of lubricant that was present on the pin. I used brake cleaner. I no longer have a sticky fuel door. I sprayed brake cleaner on a rag and wiped it all down. Works very well now. No sticking.🤷‍♂️

Stumblebum

Genesis Model Type
Thanks for the replies fellows. Just to clarify, mine does not stick shut. I seems the tiny pin that is part of the "Fuel Door Actuator" that is engaged when you push the fuel door button on the dashboard, has sheared off and does not stick out far enough to catch hold of the plastic frame inside the fuel door that is supposed to catch it. Geez what a mouth full... Anyway, I have figured out a temp way to keep the door shut for now. It looks like I will have to replace the actuator (about $250.00 CAD parts and labor). That tiny pin is a joke for a door that is opened and closed so often.

JeffSea40

Registered Member
Seattle area
Skipgen I had the same problem. I sprayed it with some silicon spray and it made it worse. I then removed any and all types of lubricant that was present on the pin. I used brake cleaner. I no longer have a sticky fuel door. I sprayed brake cleaner on a rag and wiped it all down. Works very well now. No sticking.🤷‍♂️
Good info, Kraig, which I will want to try.

Please clarify, did you remove any parts, or just clean everything insitu? Also, any alternatives to brake cleaner?

Thanks

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I'll have to give that a shot... (y)

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Thanks for the replies fellows. Just to clarify, mine does not stick shut. I seems the tiny pin that is part of the "Fuel Door Actuator" that is engaged when you push the fuel door button on the dashboard, has sheared off and does not stick out far enough to catch hold of the plastic frame inside the fuel door that is supposed to catch it. Geez what a mouth full... Anyway, I have figured out a temp way to keep the door shut for now. It looks like I will have to replace the actuator (about $250.00 CAD parts and labor). That tiny pin is a joke for a door that is opened and closed so often.
Yeah... I noticed that that the thing appeared pretty flimsy soon after I got the car & put in my 1st tank of gas. Every since I've closed it very slowly & carefully.

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
Yeah... I noticed that that the thing appeared pretty flimsy soon after I got the car & put in my 1st tank of gas. Every since I've closed it very slowly & carefully.
Yes it sure is flimsy. I thought a little silicone oil/grease would help it close with less effort. Apparently not so..

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Yes it sure is flimsy. I thought a little silicone oil/grease would help it close with less effort. Apparently not so..
Oddly, it functioned perfectly today without pushing on the door....

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Yes I hit the pin itself. I was careful only to hit the pin. I suppose you could use rubbing alcohol. 🤷‍♂️
I'd prob use rubbing alcohol before brake cleaner... The more bad for the paint, the more likely I'd be to spill it!

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums