How to: Genesis sedan Power mirror gear replacement

Hargarbl

Hasn't posted much yet...
FL
So I had to change out my mirror gear and figured I would do a write up on it since it seems to be a fairly common issue as these cars age. This is for those experiencing the clicking when trying to fold/unfold power mirrors. I tried my best to get as many pictures as possible, admittedly I did miss a couple but this should help for the most part. Enjoy the windows paint art.

Thanks to @BarryG for the original post that helped me find the gear and to @badmrscary for the instruction on how to pop the glass off

Part off amazon:
Amazon.com: Bross BGE552 Side Mirror Repair Gear for Hyundai I30 Chevrolet Captiva: Automotive

Tools needed:
10mm deep socket or wrench
phillips screwdriver

step 1: Remove trim from around the window

To do so you need to first remove the little push clip at the front of the door

Once that push pin is removed you can just pull on the bottom corner and run your fingers around the edge and it should easily come off. Be careful if you have a tweeter there as there is a connection to remove.\

Once that connection is disconnected you should have that trim piece free

Once that is done you can now remove the mirror from the car itself. Start by undoing the 3 nuts using a deep well 10mm socket, or a wrench. Then undo the plug.

Once the mirror is out find yourself a nice place to work, I would recommend a rag or paper towel to put the mirror on to keep from scratching it.

Next you will need to remove the mirror itself from this assembly, I turned my mirror all the way to the left and then pried from the right side. Be careful as you don't want to break the glass. If you didn't turn the mirror before hand (like me) just plug it back in and do it.

Once the mirror is popped free there are a couple connectors on the back to undo, this doesn't have to be done, but it made the job easier once I did it because I didn't have an extra piece flopping around in my way.

Next you will need to remove the plastic trim Its just 3 phillips screws and some prying, I started on the same side as the screws. Again be careful as to not break anything

Next you need to go to the underside of the mirror, I don't have a great picture of this but you will understand when you see it. There is a cover (1) that needs to be removed to gain access to more screws(2). The screws are already removed in this photo. Im not sure the best way to remove this cover personally, I used a pick but still managed to scratch it a little bit. On the bright side its on the bottom of the mirror and no one should see it.

Once those 3 screws are removed you need to remove the one screw you just uncovered

I hit picture limit.........

Last edited:

Mr. Incredible

G80 gone, still a Hyundai owner. 2021 Palisade
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
should be able to post more pictures in a second post within this thread

Hargarbl

FL
On to the next steps.

Now you will need to remove the 4 screws holding the assembly to the cover.

When these are remove the assembly should be loose. I forgot to take a picture but go ahead and disconnect the 2 connectors from behind it. One is for the turn signal and one for the puddle light.

While loose remove this plastic cover too. It will come out from the inside

With the plastic cover now removed you can remove these 3 screws, these will release the motor assembly from the frame work. Be careful not to lose the 2 nuts from the back. To gain access to the screws maneuver the assembly out through the hole in the bottom. I forgot to put screw 2 back in, not sure if its absolutely needed but I will find out.

Once all that is done you should be able to pull the motor out from the frame and take the frame and set it aside.

Now you should be able to make access to the motor and gears. I forgot to take a picture but there is a little plastic cover to take off and move out of the way to gain access to the screws to split the case. The circuitry for the motor is also under this cover, be careful when putting it back on to make sure you get the motor plugged back in. There are 2 pins coming off the board that go into the motor itself to power it.

Once these screws are out carefully pull the casing apart to reveal the gears. replace the gear and reassemble. I would recommend some fresh lithium grease , but if you did a dumb like I did and didn't get any there should be enough in the case to put on the new gear and be fine. Just make sure to scoop some out and apply it to the new gear.

Thats it, I hope this write up helps and isn't too confusing.

BarryG

Registered Member
So Cal.
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Nicely done! Same color as mine and everything! Mr. Incredible also helped with finding my part. Still working perfect. Seems quieter than my other mirror now, lol.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

rtown1962

Alabama
Genesis Model Type
Yes, that’s what I have as are all the pics.
Just received the gear, will start the project tomorrow. Question, how troublesome was prying off the mirror, what holds it in place, trying to determine how much pressure to apply upon removable.

Hargarbl

FL
Just received the gear, will start the project tomorrow. Question, how troublesome was prying off the mirror, what holds it in place, trying to determine how much pressure to apply upon removable.
It didn't take a whole lot of pressure, but it sure feels like a bit. It's just a snap in fitment.

shannonmtoll

Genesis Model Type
Thank you so much for doing this. Dealer was going to charge 900.00 to replace and paint the whole thing. Question, the cover under the mirror, how did you get it off? All I see is a place that looks like an insert because the plastic is textured but it looks and feels like it all one piece.

BarryG

Registered Member
So Cal.
Genesis Model Type
Thank you so much for doing this. Dealer was going to charge 900.00 to replace and paint the whole thing. Question, the cover under the mirror, how did you get it off? All I see is a place that looks like an insert because the plastic is textured but it looks and feels like it all one piece.
It’s just pops in. use a tiny blade screw driver , dull exacto, etc to pry it off. Eve if you scratch it, it’s on the bottom. Just take your time and maybe takes pictures at each step for reference. GL!

Li2boca

I called Hyundai. I was told the actuator will not fold the mirror just move up, down, left, right. You did say this folds the mirror? I hear that gear sound when I try to fold it.

Mr. Incredible

G80 gone, still a Hyundai owner. 2021 Palisade
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I called Hyundai. I was told the actuator will not fold the mirror just move up, down, left, right. You did say this folds the mirror? I hear that gear sound when I try to fold it.

Hyundai doesn't sell the parts to the mirror, it is an "unservicable" part, ,meaning they will just replace the whole thing. great if you have a warranty. $1000 if you don't

if you push the auto fold button and the mirror will not fold in and you hear the gear and/or a grinding sound, then the gear is likely broken, and this is your only real option to repair it.

BarryG

Registered Member
So Cal.
Genesis Model Type

Wow, I wouldn't go to that dealer anymore. Yes this whole thread is about the mirror folding.

Kerpail

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Is it necessary to remove the trim or can the mirror be removed without doing so?

Hargarbl

FL
I suppose you could do it without removing the trim, but you would not be able to remove the assembly from the car without doing so as the 3 nuts that hold it onto the car are behind the trim. Plus I'm sure it will make your life a ton easier with the repair just taking the 30 seconds to remove the trim in order to remove the assembly.

Kerpail

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Apologies because I am very new to this, how do I remove the push clip to get the trim off?

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners