How to listen to podcasts on 2102 Equus signature

Ripkenfan08

Hasn't posted much yet...
I just bought a 2012 equus and can't seem to figure out how to stream music from pandora or listen to any podcasts. My iPhone is paired and I can make phone calls. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Nick

slvslv

Registered Member
Kansas
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Yes, quite easily. You already have your iPhone's Bluetooth on and you're paired with the car. Now start your Podcast or Pandora. If there isn't an icon to choose your audio output device from the app you're using, close the app and then bring up your Control Center where you will see options for Screen Sharing and Audio Output. Touch the icon and choose your Equus from that list and make sure your Equus is set for Bluetooth Audio (from the Home screen on the car). Your audio should now be playing through your Equus audio system. You may also be able to control your playback (play, pause, rewind, fast forward) from your Equus controls. Note that while in this mode, all of your alerts and other audio from your iPhone will play through the Equus sound system as long as you are listening to Bluetooth Audio. Let me know if you have any other questions or issues. Good luck! Brent

Ripkenfan08

I’m struggling with this. There is no way I can chose where to play my podcasts or pandora to play on the Equus that I’m aware of. Where do I go go inside those apps to play through the Equus speakers? Also, what audio do I set my Equus too? I’m guessing the phone setting but I’m not sure. When I go into the settings app on my iPhone I don’t see anything about screen sharing audio output.

Thanks for your reply Brent. I appreciate it

slvslv

Registered Member
Kansas
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I just tried this with both the Podcasts and Pandora apps on my iPhone running iOS 9.3.5 (which is pretty old) and it works. I assume you've probably updated to iOS 11. If so, these instructions should help.

FIRST make sure you have selected "Bluetooth Audio" from your Equus' Home screen for your audio source! If that option is not available (greyed out), your iPhone is not paired or the Bluetooth on your iPhone is turned off. If so, re-pair your iPhone or turn Bluetooth back on if needed. Now proceed...

1. Start playing a track in either Podcasts or Pandora (or any audio app) on your iPhone. You should hear the audio playing though your iPhone. Close the app. The audio should continue playing through your iPhone.
2. Bring up the Control Center on your iPhone by swiping up on the display. (May need to be on the Home screen to do so depending on how you have your Control Center set up.)
3. See the Music controls? Deep press on it (if you have a 3D Touch enabled iPhone) or press and hold in it for a couple of seconds.
4. Now tap on the AirPlay button on the top right hand corner. (It looks like a small triangle pointing up with concentric circles above it.)
5. All of your AirPlay & Bluetooth devices should be listed here. Select the one for your Equus (usually called Equus). The audio should switch from your iPhone's speaker to your Equus sound system.

That's it! Let me know how that goes. Brent

Ripkenfan08

Thanks for the reply Brent.

I’m struggling to find “Bluetooth audio” and my home screen. I don’t have a home screen as far as I’m aware. I have the options: BACK, FM/AM, XM, DISC/AUX, MAP GUIDE, NAVI MENU, INFO/PHONE around the knob on my center console. I don’t have a home button screen.

If I go into the phone screen I don’t see an option for “Bluetooth audio”. I can see that my phone is connected and I’m able to make and receive phone calls through the phone menu. I deleted all the other phones from the previous owner. I wonder if that has anything to do with not being able to see “Bluetooth audio”.

Thanks,
Nick

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Try selecting AUX. You should also find your USB drive music in AUX. That's where they reside in my '12 Genesis.

Ripkenfan08

I tried that. I get a message of “no external device connected”. When I try to plug my iPhone into the 2 auxiliary ports in the center console I get an off and on rapid vibrating sensation with my phone. I looked into the car manual and it says the aux ports can only support an iPod 3-5 generation.

slvslv

Registered Member
Kansas
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Nick, my apologies, as I didn't realize the 2012 Equus apparently doesn't support Bluetooth Audio. I also didn't realize there wasn't a Home button where all audio sources are listed, as on my 2016.

And the reason you are probably having the rapid vibrating sensation with your phone could be the cable you are using to connect it to your car. A typical lightning-to-USB cable will not work with this system. You must use the genuine Hyundai iPod Cable (Part # 08620 2L000) which plugs in to both the USB and audio inputs of your Equus and ends in a 30-pin Apple connector. I've seen these anywhere from $5 to $30 on Ebay and other sources.

If your iPhone is newer than an iPhone 4s, you'll also need a genuine Apple 30-pin to Lightning adapter. It is important to get an actual Apple adapter which retail for $39 but can be found much cheaper from other online sources.

Once you have both cables, plug them together, then plug the lightning end in to your iPhone and the other end in to your Equus. Now select AUX. You should now be connected and hear the audio through the Equus sound system.

This worked for me on my 2009 Genesis with what appears to be the same audio system and user interface using my iPhone 6s running iOS 9.3.5. It "should" work with other newer iPhones but I can't verify that as I no longer have the Genesis and have not updated my iPhone to iOS 10 or iOS 11.

Here are a few links for the two cables you'll need:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HYUNDA...ash=item213642d965:g:J2sAAOSw88xaTO6N&vxp=mtr

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...f79d4f3cece89e85c15db0fe3d2960060c92aa3d8e6d8

If you still have issues even after all of this, there is one more way to do this by using a stereo cable from your iPhone's headphone jack to the stereo input jack on the Equus. (If you have an iPhone 7 or newer, you'll need to use the supplied lightning-to-headphone adapter.) Select AUX. You'll have to control all functions and overall volume output level from the iPhone itself when doing it this way but it will get the job done. Also, be aware that your iPhone will not charge when connected this way.

I'm hopeful the first solution with the two adapters aforementioned will work just fine for you. Let me know how it goes! Brent

Ripkenfan08

Thanks Brent,

I'll probably order the new cables and let you know how it works out. I'm not a huge fan of plugging in my phone everytime i want to play audio from my phone. Do you know if its possible to upgrade the head unit to accept bluetooth audio - maybe with some sort of software update? I don't want to get an aftermarket head unit. Is it possible to upgrade the head unit to the 2016 model?

Thanks,
Nick

slvslv

Registered Member
Kansas
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Ok, one more option for you then. Add a Bluetooth receiver to your system. I had to do this with my wife's GMC Yukon and it worked fine. You'll need a Bluetooth audio receiver adapter like this one on Ebay for $4:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-U...541815&hash=item1a2e4db561:g:SpwAAOSwdGFYp9e1

You'll also need a cheap cigarette lighter DC power adapter like this one under $3:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Car-Ci...hash=item1c515d72da:m:m6TFWn5Ti2dRLq8oWrftSew

You'll plug the Bluetooth adapter's USB plug in to the cigarette lighter DC power adapter and then plug that in to one of your DC power sockets. Then run the included stereo audio cable from the Bluetooth adapter to the stereo input jack of the Equus. (Don't plug this adapter in to the Equus's USB jack. It will only confuse the car.)

Then you'll pair your iPhone to the Bluetooth adapter. Do this in your iPhone's Settings -> Bluetooth. The new adapter will appear in your list of devices you can connect to. Connect and then select AUX on your Equus. Start playing a track on your iPhone and you should hear the audio through your Equus sound system. The only downside is when you are connected this way, you will no longer be connected to the Equus bluetooth phone functions. You can switch back and forth between them at will but not simultaneously.

As for replacing the head unit, I don't think this would be possible without ridiculous costs as it would probably include not only the head unit but probably also the screen and definitely the console controller. Plus a lot of labor. You'd be looking at thousands of dollars. Better off trading up to a more current model in that case. Good luck and let me know what you end up doing! Brent

Last edited:

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
What does your dealer tell you? The '11 Equus does not play BT audio. Neither do the '12 Genesis models that have the 17 spkr Tech package. Your '12 likely does not play it either.

However, the '12 Base and Premium Genesis models do play Bluetooth audio.

This article, however, indicates that your car does have BT audio.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/car-reviews/2012-hyundai-equus-review/

Last edited:

slvslv

Registered Member
Kansas
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
The only mention of it in this 2012 brochure is in the specs where it states "Bluetooth® hands-free phone system, integrated with driver information System."

https://cdn.dealereprocess.net/cdn/brochures/hyundai/2012-equus.pdf

I can't find an online Multimedia Manual for the 2012 Equus to check for sure. Did your car come with both the Owner's Manual and the Multimedia Manual? If so, check there as it will most definitely have the answer. I did find the Owner's Manual but the only mention of Bluetooth in it is "Bluetooth® Wireless Technology hands-free (if equipped). You can use the phone wirelessly by using the Bluetooth® Wireless Technology. Detailed information for the Bluetooth® Wireless Technology hands-free is described in the manual supplied separately."

I'm guessing since the 2011 Equus did not support this feature, the 2012 is the same since it appears to have the same head unit and controller. The 2013-2016 models have the newer head unit, controller, and graphic user interface which supports Bluetooth Audio streaming.

So if this is true and you do not have built-in Bluetooth capabilities, you can still use my suggestion earlier in this thread to cheaply add a Bluetooth Audio Receiver Adapter. And if you do, you will be able to hear your phone calls through the Equus as long as you have AUX selected as your audio source. You'll still need your iPhone close by to use it's microphone since the Bluetooth adapter does not have it's own microphone built in.

But do check with the dealer and any supplied manuals first! Good luck, Nick.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums