How to put the car in reverse 6M/T?

Samy

Registered Member
Yes that's a weird question but in my Miata, you had to press on the shifter to get into reverse. I have no idea how to get into reverse with my new G70. I want to put the reverse but I always end up putting the first gear. Any tips?

Samy

Registered Member
I got the car in reverse. You just have to go all the way left with some force. Kinda weird.

danygenesis

Registered Member
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I've never seen the 6MT shift stick but when I used to drive manual many years ago sometimes you had to push the stick down in order to engage the Rear gear.

broervudu

SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Check this video, you'll see him do it and then within 30 seconds, he'll describe reverse in detail. I believe the link takes you to the exact timestamp.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

ctrcbob

Been here awhile...
He seemed a bit confused about the dash up shift nanny, It is there to help you meet EPA mileage, not for performance. Many cars have it with manual tranny, Best to put a piece of black tape over it.
I had a manual like that. Just IGNORE it. Now that I think about it, it may have been one of my Honda Accord , or one of the Renault Laguna's I leased in France. Can't remember. Don't matter. Just ignore the light.

When I'm driving a manual, and NOT in a hurry, I often "Short Shift". 1st, to 3rd, to 5th. Or 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th.

Samy

Registered Member
I had a manual like that. Just IGNORE it. Now that I think about it, it may have been one of my Honda Accord , or one of the Renault Laguna's I leased in France. Can't remember. Don't matter. Just ignore the light.

When I'm driving a manual, and NOT in a hurry, I often "Short Shift". 1st, to 3rd, to 5th. Or 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th.
This this is also present in the new Miata.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
at least the G70 doesn't have the GM idiotic skip shift that forces you from 1st to 4th in slow accel city driving. I hated that crap when I had my Camaro. Ended up buying a skip shift eliminator kit, to bypass the system.

AGD

Registered Member
Outskirts of Ottawa, in the Heart of Darkness...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's funny you should ask. My sales representative said he actually had to go through the manual to get my car into reverse. At first I was having a bit of a hard time as well. If you look at the schematic on the shift stick, it shows reverse all the way to the left, as if just continuing along the same plane as being in neutral, but in actuality, that's not exactly the case.

The simplest I can explain it is that you pull the stick all the way to the left until it stops, then you start rising towards first gear, but always keep a constant pressure towards the left. As you pass the horizontal line you'll find the reverse gate and the shifter will go into the proper position.

I used to have a bit of a hard time sometimes where the car would also stay in reverse after having backed up because I was trying to manoeuvre from reverse to 1st directly. I find that once I'm done backing up, I just pull it down out of reverse and let the stick float freely. Then I can row it back to the left (without keeping the pressure) and engage 1st no problem.

I've attached an extremely crude drawing of what I mean. I'm more visual.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.