• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

How vulnerable is the 255/35R19 tire & wheel?

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'd like to get the top tier 2.0 Prestige and it comes with P255/35R19s on the rear. The front is a 40 series tire. I have 18" 40 series tires on my Audi and never had a blowout. But will a 35 series 19" tire & wheel be very fragile? I'll be switching to a full set of 18" winter tires & wheels from December thru March, but we still have some potholes in the warmer months.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Ok, this is from the BMW tire center website:
"Driving over rough or damaged road surfaces, as well as debris, curbs, and other obstacles can cause serious damage to wheels, tires, and suspension parts. This is more likely to occur with low-profile tires, which provide less cushioning between the wheel and the road. Be careful to avoid road hazards and reduce your speed, especially if your vehicle is equipped with low-profile tires."

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Last edited:

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'm guessing the 19" tire sidewall looks much thinner than my 18" because of the relatively larger wheel size, but the sidewall height difference is only .35" less. That sounds better. Thanks for that detail. My current car is an S4, btw and the tire size is P245 40 R18.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
From what I can interpret from the press release, it looks like the G70 3.3T is going to come either with 18" all seasons or 19" summers, depending on trim. This adds some good choices for people that want the power, but don't want the negatives associated with 19" ultra low profile tires.
18" all seasons: Elite, Prestige, Design (limited edition)
19: summers: Advanced, Sport, Dynamic (limited edition).

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

g_338897

I have a G70 3.3T I hit a pot hole and now have a1inch cut on my side wall. I only have 2500 Kilometres on the car

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I assume the 18s are less expensive to replace, quieter, ride better, and don't have as much damage risk as the 19s. We have repeated freezing, salting and plowing in the winter which can make roads pretty hazardous.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Good point about the winter tires and wheels, but it's really a borderline need here because of the very quick plowing and salting. Wish I had your weather, but not the legendary LA traffic.

devellis

Been here awhile...
North Carolina
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Lower profile tires put the rims and what they're connected to at greater risk. But the tire itself shouldn't be at any greater risk. And as noted, the "increased risk" is pretty small given the actual difference in size. Potholes can result in rim damage (ask me how I know) that can cause air to escape. This happened to me this past year and I needed a new rim. But the tire itself was fine. Had I driven the car with a flat tire, the rim would have destroyed the tire but I was able to get the tire and damaged rim off the car before the tire went flat (although air was slowly escaping because of the rim damage). So, tire saved but rim not.

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have hit a few potholes that have made me cringe but no issues yet. My last car had 275/30 19's and while I replaced them 3 times, it was for wearing out and never damaged. :)

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums