How vulnerable is the 255/35R19 tire & wheel?

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
No Genesis Yet!
I'd like to get the top tier 2.0 Prestige and it comes with P255/35R19s on the rear. The front is a 40 series tire. I have 18" 40 series tires on my Audi and never had a blowout. But will a 35 series 19" tire & wheel be very fragile? I'll be switching to a full set of 18" winter tires & wheels from December thru March, but we still have some potholes in the warmer months.

GenesisYEG

Been here awhile...
Edmonton, Alberta
Genesis G70
I live in the Pothole Capital of Canada (aka Edmonton) and I have had no issues rolling around on 255/35R19s in any of the numerous G70 3.3T Sports I've had.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80
A small sample, but that's encouraging.
That small sample is backed up with engineering from both the tire company and car maker as well as testing. Not something I'd be concerned about. OTOH, if you have engineering data to show otherwise. . .

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
No Genesis Yet!
Ok, this is from the BMW tire center website:
"Driving over rough or damaged road surfaces, as well as debris, curbs, and other obstacles can cause serious damage to wheels, tires, and suspension parts. This is more likely to occur with low-profile tires, which provide less cushioning between the wheel and the road. Be careful to avoid road hazards and reduce your speed, especially if your vehicle is equipped with low-profile tires."

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis G80 Sport
a 245/40 R18 tire (presuming this is an 2012-2016 Audi A4) is only .35" taller than the 255/35 R19 on the G70.

understand that the sidewall profile size is a percentage of the tire width. a 255/40 R18 is not the same as a 225/40 R18 the 40 means 40% of the width, the 255 would be 4.02" tall and the 225 would be 3.54" tall.

A 225/40 R18 has the same tire height as a 255/35 R19 one is a "40" series and one is a "35" series, but as the 255 is 30mm wider than a 225 the 35 series has the same overall height as the 40 series on a more narrow tire.

as such the tire on the G70 only has a sidewall that is .35" smaller in height, 1/3 of an inch is not going to make the tire more fragile. Watch the road and avoid pot-holes and curbs and you won't have an issue.

I've driven on the same basic tire size for 20 years. nearly every car I have owned since 2000 has been 245/35 R19 in the front and 275/35 R19 in the rear, the only exception was my Camaro that had 245/35 R20s up from and 275/30 R20s out back. Which is exactly the same tire height and width as the 19 (the amount of rubber is exactly the same) only the wheel is 1" larger in diameter making the car stand 1" higher.

Last edited:

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
No Genesis Yet!
I'm guessing the 19" tire sidewall looks much thinner than my 18" because of the relatively larger wheel size, but the sidewall height difference is only .35" less. That sounds better. Thanks for that detail. My current car is an S4, btw and the tire size is P245 40 R18.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm guessing the 19" tire sidewall looks much thinner than my 18" because of the relatively larger wheel size, but the sidewall height difference is only .35" less. That sounds better. Thanks for that detail. My current car is an S4, btw and the tire size is P245 40 R18.

A4/S4 same size tire. most Audi's are 17" or 19" when you said 18" it was pretty easy to figure out the tire size.

if you really want to be stressed over tire sizes, be glad you don't drive my 1939 Ford Tudor. 215/40 R15 in the front 295/25 R17s in the rear (talk about a rubber band tire), the front can only take a small wheel due to the fender and R&P setup, but 15's are too small for the rear due to the brake setup, so I had to find a tire and wheel combo that had the same overall circumference front and rear as not to screw up the cable driven speedo.

I'm trying to find some 16's with the right back spacing and offsets to even out the wheel size, but based on the steering geometry the only option seems to be custom made wheels which cost a pretty penny..

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
No Genesis Yet!
From what I can interpret from the press release, it looks like the G70 3.3T is going to come either with 18" all seasons or 19" summers, depending on trim. This adds some good choices for people that want the power, but don't want the negatives associated with 19" ultra low profile tires.
18" all seasons: Elite, Prestige, Design (limited edition)
19: summers: Advanced, Sport, Dynamic (limited edition).

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis G80 Sport
Negatives? I’ve owned multiple cars with staggered 19” wheels with 35/40 series tires and never had an issue.

I pay attention to my driving, I don’t drive over pot holes I drive around them, I’ve never curbed a wheel. I’ve never damaged a tire or a wheel and I drive in L.A. an area known to have the worse streets in the nation.

g_338897

I have a G70 3.3T I hit a pot hole and now have a1inch cut on my side wall. I only have 2500 Kilometres on the car

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
No Genesis Yet!
I assume the 18s are less expensive to replace, quieter, ride better, and don't have as much damage risk as the 19s. We have repeated freezing, salting and plowing in the winter which can make roads pretty hazardous.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis G80 Sport
I assume the 18s are less expensive to replace, quieter, ride better, and don't have as much damage risk as the 19s. We have repeated freezing, salting and plowing in the winter which can make roads pretty hazardous.
Yeah if I was in the snow belt I would have winter wheels and tires, or a beater car. Snow isn’t really an issue in Socal

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
No Genesis Yet!
Good point about the winter tires and wheels, but it's really a borderline need here because of the very quick plowing and salting. Wish I had your weather, but not the legendary LA traffic.

devellis

Been here awhile...
North Carolina
No Genesis Yet!
Lower profile tires put the rims and what they're connected to at greater risk. But the tire itself shouldn't be at any greater risk. And as noted, the "increased risk" is pretty small given the actual difference in size. Potholes can result in rim damage (ask me how I know) that can cause air to escape. This happened to me this past year and I needed a new rim. But the tire itself was fine. Had I driven the car with a flat tire, the rim would have destroyed the tire but I was able to get the tire and damaged rim off the car before the tire went flat (although air was slowly escaping because of the rim damage). So, tire saved but rim not.

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis G70
I have hit a few potholes that have made me cringe but no issues yet. My last car had 275/30 19's and while I replaced them 3 times, it was for wearing out and never damaged. :)

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums