Howling noise coming from rear window area

Thread starter #1
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
We recently went on a road trip to Lake Tahoe and uncovered a unbelievable irritating noise. Once I reach speeds of around 80 we would start to get a howling noise. As near as we can tell, it is coming from the rear window area. Dealership can't duplicate (not a lot of roads nearby the allow that speed) and Hyundai's Tech support won't help them because they say it exceeds the legal driving speed (not true - in Utah we have freeways with 80MPH posted).

I have also been able to duplicate it going at slower speeds if I am going into a head wind. My suspicions is it has something to do with the increased wind speed flowing over back window or trunk area. Dealership doesn't think it is a seal issue (I haven't experienced and water leaks).

Anyone ideas what it could be or where to search?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
We recently went on a road trip to Lake Tahoe and uncovered a unbelievable irritating noise. Once I reach speeds of around 80 we would start to get a howling noise. As near as we can tell, it is coming from the rear window area.

I have also been able to duplicate it going at slower speeds if I am going into a head wind. My suspicions is it has something to do with the increased wind speed flowing over back window or trunk area.
Many of us have been at 90 or well above with no noise so there is a real problem..

If you have not already checked, be sure the shark fin antenna is secure. I'd have someone ride in the back seat to see if they can better locate the noise.

Have you tried opening a window? Does it change things? I wonder if the air pressure in the car changes and has the effect of "lifting" the trunk lid or sunroof creating a noise.

I'd also take some masking tape or blue painters tape and run it around the gap of the trunk lid. If that stops the noise, remove a portion at a time to narrow it down. If it makes no difference, try closing other seams.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
Just a side note that when I run my 2015 and my old 2009 Genesis through car washes, I can make the rear trunk howl quite loudly when the dryer blows over it just right. Almost sounds like the trunk may be the issue.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Just a side note that when I run my 2015 and my old 2009 Genesis through car washes, I can make the rear trunk howl quite loudly when the dryer blows over it just right. Almost sounds like the trunk may be the issue.
Good tip. The dealer can check it that way too. Never paid much attention but I'll listen next car wash.

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Those noises are really hard to pinpoint. I had a '13 Santa Fe 2.0T AWD and I thought the noise was coming from right side by B pillar or close, so I taped almost entire side of the car and the noise was still there, lol

Attachments

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
We recently went on a road trip to Lake Tahoe and uncovered a unbelievable irritating noise. Once I reach speeds of around 80 we would start to get a howling noise. As near as we can tell, it is coming from the rear window area. Dealership can't duplicate (not a lot of roads nearby the allow that speed) and Hyundai's Tech support won't help them because they say it exceeds the legal driving speed (not true - in Utah we have freeways with 80MPH posted).

I have also been able to duplicate it going at slower speeds if I am going into a head wind. My suspicions is it has something to do with the increased wind speed flowing over back window or trunk area. Dealership doesn't think it is a seal issue (I haven't experienced and water leaks).

Anyone ideas what it could be or where to search?
I would check you under body cover. My front cover came loose and it made a loud fluttering air noise inside the cabin. Maybe your rear cover is loose.

TylerDH

Getting familiar with the group...
Omaha NE
i have the exact same issue. my wife was driving the other day at 80mph and we were getting the noise (like when you were little and blew into a coke bottle). I told her to back it off to 78 and it went away. I notice it sometimes when passing semi's on the interstate too. I think it is coming from the sunroof or fin. mine sounds higher than the trunk. I just hit 60k miles and my warranty is out but the dealer ordered a new drivers side body panel that runs along side the sunroof to see if that fixes it.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.