Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Filed under: Sedans/Saloons, Hyundai

Click above for gallery of the Hyundai Equus

We've seen plenty of spy shots and teasers showing Hyundai's new flagship luxury sedan, the Equus. These, however, are the first official images of the big South Korean luxury car that appear to be from an actual brochure. The Equus is about 7 inches longer, 1.5 inches wider and has a wheelbase nearly 4.5 inches longer than the Genesis, but will launch in South Korea using the same 3.8L V6 and 4.6L V8 currently used by Hyundai's large sedan in the U.S. A more powerful 5.0L V8 producing upwards of 420 horsepower will also reportedly be offered sometime after launch.

If the Genesis is aimed at the BMW 5 Series and Mercedes-Benz E-Class, then the Equus has its sites set squarely on vehicles like the 7 Series, S-Class and Lexus LS460. It is still not known whether Hyundai will sell the Equus in the U.S., though with a base price of 130,000,000 South Korean won (about $93,471 USD), it would be the automaker's most ambitious U.S. offering by far. Hyundai is no doubt watching sales of the Genesis very closely to see if the brand can hold its own in the image-obsessed luxury segments, and early signs in terms of sales and critical success are positive. Whether or not that means the U.S. is ready for such an expensive Hyundai remains to be seen.

Gallery: 2010 Hyundai Equus

[Source: The Car Blogger]Continue reading Hyundai Equus: First official images hit web

Hyundai Equus: First official images hit web originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 17 Feb 2009 12:28:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

Read more...

Gwaneum

Getting familiar with the group...
I wouldn't buy it at any price... The Equus (known as the Centennial in export markets, notably China and the Middle East) was a front-driver, and this new Equus probably is another front-driver.

The Equus is for CEOs and others who can afford to hire a chauffeur. The Equus is NOT a driver's car, and was never meant to be one. That's why Hyundai sells it in China and the Middle East - but never in North America and Europe.

Of course, due to ridiculous markups on luxury imports in South Korea (part of it tariffs, but most of it being importer/dealer markup, thanks to the Korean elite's obsession with Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus), even paying 100 million won or more for a top-line Hyundai is actually a good deal.

The Genesis is slightly downmarket - but is certainly more of the driver's car.

yupkiguy

Hasn't posted much yet...
Gwaneum,

New Equus is RWD, like genesis.
The first generation of Equus was FWD and developed by Hyundai and Misubishi about 10 years ago.

Last edited:

Blackout

Hamilton, NJ
I like how this thing looks! But if they were to actually bring it here and with that kind of price tag on it they might sell one or two. I don't see anybody wanting to shell out $93k starting price for a Hyundai. They might sell some more if they offer two hot Korean girls with the car

TheCarBlogger

Autoblog made a huge error for its price. The $93K (which BTW is way less in USD when currency is correctly calculated) is for the top-of-the-line Limousine 4.6L model. The base price is around 600 million Won.

TheCarBlogger

Haha. The $93K tag (again, I stress it is false) derives from the projected 130 million Won price tag of the top-line Limousine trim w/ 4.6L V8.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
The price in the US will be "much less than 96K" (that is all I can tell you). The Equus VI will be presented at the upcoming NY auto show.

Gwaneum

Gwaneum,

New Equus is RWD, like genesis.
The first generation of Equus was FWD and developed by Hyundai and Misubishi about 10 years ago.

Didn't know. Thanks for letting me know.

I've spent some time in the original Equus (certainly NOT the driver's seat), so I know it's a posh car... but not for me. The Korean domestic market Equus gets the full luxury car treatment - a lifestyle magazine, exclusive Equus badging, dedicated sales staff, Mozen telematics, you name it.

I still wouldn't buy the Equus. Hyundai needs to consider something along the lines of the BMW 3 or the Infiniti G - even though the Korean domestic market prefers its luxury cars big and cushy.

Gwaneum

Autoblog made a huge error for its price. The $93K (which BTW is way less in USD when currency is correctly calculated) is for the top-of-the-line Limousine 4.6L model. The base price is around 600 million Won.

600 million? Yikes! You could buy an expensive Seoul flat with that money!

60 million would be more like it. At current exchange rates that'd be between $45K and $50K US.

I still remember when Hyundai's greatest car was the Excel, with the starting price under 4 million... ;)

One more thing: for the Korean price tags, as is the case in most other nations, what you see is pretty much what you pay. Sales tax is 10% but it's built into the price. Not sure about registration, however.

Last edited:

Par Avion

Been here awhile...
Motor City
hyundai-equus-0218-1.jpg

hyundai-equus-0218-3.jpg

hyundai-equus-0218-2.jpg

hyundai-equus-0218-4.jpg

hyundai-equus-black.jpg

2010hyundai-equus-interior1.jpg

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners