Hyundai Genesis: post up your compliments/stares/double takes thread

Thread starter #1

Tpr5.0

Registered Member
The second day of ownership, I had my gf and her daughter with me. We were on the highway driving to dinner and were about a mile from the exit ramp. After moving into the right lane, I looked in the rear view mirror and observed a black vehicle change lanes and was approaching quickly. The car got within a few lengths behind me and I noticed it is a previous gen Genesis sedan. I then observed the operator/passenger pointing at my car and give thumbs up out the window as I was exiting the highway.

Thread starter #2

Tpr5.0

Registered Member
Re: 2015 Genesis: post up your compliments/stares/double takes thread

77 views and no other person has any compliments/stares/double takes stories they wish to share.

ckon

Registered Member
SE Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

77 views and no other person has any compliments/stares/double takes stories they wish to share.
I think it's the other way around, at least for me. There have been so many, (many already posted here and elsewhere), that there's not really anything left to add. Too many cases of "Is that a Bentley?" and "What model Aston Martin is that?" to mention. :)

PS: FWIW, I may be a bit prejudiced, but I saw a black Maserati sedan yesterday that IMO didn't look near as good as our black Gennys.

jimb100

Registered Member

What is your level of expectation?

Sure, the neighbors will say the obligatory "nice car" but, like most luxury cars, the Genesis doesn't evoke an "OMG" moment.

The Lexus met Audi styling, while not a real headturner is very nice. What more do you want?

Sure, the neighbors will say the obligatory "nice car" but, like most luxury cars, the Genesis doesn't evoke an "OMG" moment.

The Lexus met Audi styling, while not a real headturner is very nice. What more do you want?
Totally agree with you Jimb100. While the '15 MY car is a very nice car much better handling than the previous MY's, there's really not a OMG moment. As much as the critics complained about the 'ho hum' design of the previous years I think it was a better looker than the current. Although I do like the extended hood, lower seating, sunroof, handling, increase size and the interior is much better design and layout, I really like the previous MY. It seems now more than ever the new Genesis is part of Hyundai line up and not a luxury offshoot brand. They really could have taken this to the next level and make it an OMG moment. I guess there's always next year :).

ferrethouse

Been here awhile...

I get tons of looks. And I believe the car is pretty awesome from a design perspective from the front and the rear. From the side it is pretty standard. The rear tail lights look awesome and combined with the quad exhaust are pretty wicked. The front grille is distinctive despite similarities to other brands and the headlights are pretty cool.

I've overheard people asking other people if that is a bentley as I walk back to my car.

Thread starter #7

Tpr5.0

Registered Member

Hoping that folks would post up their experiences.

Styling is subjective. IMO, this car is indeed a head turner.
Totally agree with you Jimb100. While the '15 MY car is a very nice car much better handling than the previous MY's, there's really not a OMG moment. As much as the critics complained about the 'ho hum' design of the previous years I think it was a better looker than the current. Although I do like the extended hood, lower seating, sunroof, handling, increase size and the interior is much better design and layout, I really like the previous MY. It seems now more than ever the new Genesis is part of Hyundai line up and not a luxury offshoot brand. They really could have taken this to the next level and make it an OMG moment. I guess there's always next year :).
Well stated.
I get tons of looks. And I believe the car is pretty awesome from a design perspective from the front and the rear. From the side it is pretty standard. The rear tail lights look awesome and combined with the quad exhaust are pretty wicked. The front grille is distinctive despite similarities to other brands and the headlights are pretty cool.

I've overheard people asking other people if that is a bentley as I walk back to my car.
Absolutely agree with you.

jimb100

Registered Member

Well stated.

Absolutely agree with you.
I agree, styling is subjective. But, most reviewers and 'the man in the street' find the styling nice, but not spectacular. Mostly derivative of Lexus, which appears to be Hyundai's target.

And that would seem to be logical as 'understated' seems to be an objective in this segment.

What other luxury cars would you consider to be 'headturners'?

allisondbl

Registered Member

I think it's the other way around, at least for me. There have been so many, (many already posted here and elsewhere), that there's not really anything left to add. Too many cases of "Is that a Bentley?" and "What model Aston Martin is that?" to mention. :)

PS: FWIW, I may be a bit prejudiced, but I saw a black Maserati sedan yesterday that IMO didn't look near as good as our black Gennys.
+1 To Virtually every word, particularly the Bentley/Aston comments ...

HEY GURL

Registered Member
Houston, Tx

I personally LOVE the looks of the Gen 2. Absolutely a head turner in my opinion. I think the color makes a huge difference too.

Let the double takes & thumbs up begin! Heck, I used to got compliments from strangers on my little Lexus CT hybrid. The Gen2 is gorgeous in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't waste so much money on a car that I didn't think was a head turner.

ckon

Registered Member
SE Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Not an opinion - absolute fact! I've watched more people walk around my car with their eyes staying on it as they passed than any other car I've had. If that's not head turning I don't know what it is. :)

jonjon72

Registered Member

Last week I had just come back from lunch and took a call from inside the car with the windows closed. A couple of guys parked behind me and you could see them pointing at the car started to walk around it. Once they got to the front they saw me inside with a bit of shock and gave me a thumbs up.

This weekend I was at my dad's cemetery and when I was leaving, another two guys who were walking back to their car stopped in their tracks to stare at the Gen. The mother was trying to get their attention to unlock the doors.....lol

Alwaysforward

Been here awhile...
South Florida - Treasure Coast
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)

Best looking car in my opinion. My daughter came to pick up her kids after work yesterday and said she can't believe how nice that car looks. She's walked by the car every work day for the past month and even a month later she is still in awe. :D

Sam22

Registered Member
Michigan

1) The first day when I drove my Genesis to office, my colleagues surprisingly asked me 'Did you buy a Bentley'?
2) Last week I went to a nearby KIA dealership for the oil change (As there is no Hyundai dealership in my town..:( ). Couple of Sales Managers who were there in the lot with other customers looked at my car as I drove in. They also misidentified it as Bentley. One of them got so freaked out that he started talking about KIA K900 and took me on a test drive.
3) I have spotted people taking pictures of my car at the parking lot.

This car is really a head turner! :cool:

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD

I agree, styling is subjective. But, most reviewers and 'the man in the street' find the styling nice, but not spectacular. Mostly derivative of Lexus, which appears to be Hyundai's target.

What other luxury cars would you consider to be 'headturners'?
Looks little like a Lexus aside from the integrated exhaust tips which everyone does nowadays and which Lexus popularized, but did not originate.

The 2 biggest problems w/ the Genesis are the greenhouse (too similar to numerous other sedans) and the rear (a bit too plain) and the shape of the headlights and grill could be better.

But then again, there really aren't any striking sedans in the midsize luxury segment aside from maybe the XF (which will soon be replaced and was never much of a seller due to the limited headroom) and maybe the front end of the CTS.

jimb100

Registered Member

Looks little like a Lexus aside from the integrated exhaust tips which everyone does nowadays and which Lexus popularized, but did not originate.

The 2 biggest problems w/ the Genesis are the greenhouse (too similar to numerous other sedans) and the rear (a bit too plain) and the shape of the headlights and grill could be better.

But then again, there really aren't any striking sedans in the midsize luxury segment aside from maybe the XF (which will soon be replaced and was never much of a seller due to the limited headroom) and maybe the front end of the CTS.
When I think of a real 'headturner' I think 458 Italia, Aventador, E type, Aston, Audi R8, etc. The last sedan that I remember being a headturner was the 59 Cadillac.

I can see thinking your late model sedan is nice looking, attractive, but providing an OMG moment?

To each his own.

ferrethouse

Been here awhile...

I do love the subtle beauty of it but part of the reason it is a "head turner" is because there are so few of them on the roads. People don't know what it is.

jimb100

Registered Member

I do love the subtle beauty of it but part of the reason it is a "head turner" is because there are so few of them on the roads. People don't know what it is.
Maybe its just me. Mid to full size from sedans from Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, Jaguar, Hyundai, Kia, even Buick just don't catch my eye.

BMW and Cadillac seem to have a bit more distinctive styling, I mean, I notice its a Beemer or a Caddy but that's about it.

But frankly, I think its on purpose as the market segment isn't looking for something that stands out much.

Quiet competence is how I think I heard it described. I guess maybe the distinctive grill shape on the Audi and the Genesis make them noticeable when they are coming toward you but they need to be close to tell which is which.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.