Hyundai Genesis versus 2009 Nissan Maxima

JimJ

Hasn't posted much yet...
Thread starter #1
I have driven both the Genesis and the new Maxima. Extremly impressed with both cars. Maxima has same hp and handled slightly better which was surprising for front wheel dr. not as nice inside as Genesis nor as quiet as Gensis. In the market for new car and debating decision. Have opportunity to purchase fully loaded Genesis from dealer going out of bus. at 4k off sticker.( car probably be gone this weekend)...do not like to rush on decisions....curious if anyone has driven both cars and what their thoughts are..........

jwaters943

Been here awhile...
Re: Genesis versus 2009 Maxima

Funny this should come up. Viking and I were just talking about the new Maxima and Genesis via PM.

I haven't driven the new Max, but I did spend about 10-15 minutes thoroughly examining it.

Here are my impressions compared to the Genesis:

+ More supportive seating (especially the drivers seat w/ the manual thigh adjustment)
= Nearly identical feature content, pricing and engine HP/Torque compared to the V6 Genesis
= FWD is an issue for some, as is the CVT. Although, in spite of being FWD it appears to have slightly better handling than the Genesis based on the reviews (probably due to being smaller/lighter)
- Cheaper overall interior. It's not a bad interior, but if you tap of the top of the dash above the Nav screen in the Max you can easily tell it's hard, hollow plastic. The door map pockets are also cheap looking and do not pop out like the Genesis. Also, the glovebox doesn't open/close with the same smooth, damped motions as the Genesis
+ Great panoramic sunroof (love the way the shades open/close with the touch of a button)
- Hollow, somewhat tinny feeling doors (no where near as solid as the Genesis, especially with the window rolled down)
- Cramped back seat with somewhat difficult ingress/egress
- Carpeting appears cheaper (thinner)
+ Better finished trunk

...and that's about all I can think of right now. :)

Last edited:

jwaters943

Been here awhile...

Okay, just thought of one more thing:

-EPA fuel economy ratings for the Maxima are 19/26 vs. 18/27 for the Genesis V6, making them pretty evenly matched, but the Maxima requires premium, whereas the Genesis V6 calls for regular unleaded.

Genesis Motors

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)

Okay, just thought of one more thing:

-EPA fuel economy ratings for the Maxima are 19/26 vs. 18/27 for the Genesis V6, making them pretty evenly matched, but the Maxima requires premium, whereas the Genesis V6 calls for regular unleaded.
I wonder what the gas mileage would be when using 87 octane with the Maxima...

gopack504

Getting familiar with the group...

I actually like both new cars myself as well, even though I'm a year away from getting a new car. I've never been a fan of the Maxima, but Nissan came out with an impressive looking car. It has a nice shape to it. I might get the Genesis with the $4k off the sticker. The Maxima's are selling for full sticker price and will probably not come down in price for a while. This is just based on impression of the two cars, but if luxury and quiet ride is what you want get the Genesis. If near luxury and a sporty look is what your after consider the Maxima. Overall it seems the reviews on both cars are pretty good.

JimJ

Thread starter #6

Thank you very much for your thoughts. Mine are similar as the fit and finish and quality of the interior on the Genesis is superior to the Maxima. I do fine the Maxima seat more comfortable to drive than the Genesis. My first impression on driving both cars is that Maxima handles better than the Genesis and reacts more like a sports car than the Genesis. I will not be purchasing until Sept. Although the 4k off was a heck of deal just not ready yet. Happen to be a Subaru/Hyundai dealer that is going out of business and had 1 fully loaded Genesis in stock. I drove the Genesis a second time over the weekend at another dealer and seem on the particular road there was more bounce on the suspension than the normal luxury ride. This surprised me as heavy as the Genesis is. Could have been the particular road but plan to drive the Maxima on the same road and stay open minded for a while as there should be more feed back from buyers the next 60 days. Really like the looks of both cars and also want to compare the TL when it comes out in Sept before buying.

jwaters943

Been here awhile...

The tires on the Genesis you drove may have been overinflated. When I got mine I noticed it bounced too much over uneven pavement and checked the tire pressure. It was set to 46 psi (cold)!!! The recommended psi is 33 (cold). It's still not as controlled as an M35/45 or 5-Series, but it's no longer a rolling boucy house. ;)

car_fan

i drove both the 09 Max and the V6 Genesis over this past weekend. The Maxima is very nice, has a sporty feel to it, and revs freely. The Genesis felt more substantial to me, i did not detect a lot of body roll, but you notice the weight difference between the 2. I personally prefer RWD and the added overall higher level of luxury the Genesis provides.

I am not biased either, as I am on my second Nissan/Infiniti product a full loaded RWD FX35. I have also owned 6 BMW's over the last 6 years (325, (2) 328-i sport, 528i sport, 330ci-zhp, X5 4.4 sport) and still have an 06 Mini Cooper S. I consider myself to be an enthusiast I like a variety of different cars. Trust when I say this car has a lot of the other makes sleeping with their nikes on.

The Genesis is a great effort by Hyundai and I am considering the V8 Tech. If its too soft I am sure a tire swap will help the handling.;)

1985Hyundai

i drove both the 09 Max and the V6 Genesis over this past weekend. The Maxima is very nice, has a sporty feel to it, and revs freely. The Genesis felt more substantial to me, i did not detect a lot of body roll, but you notice the weight difference between the 2. I personally prefer RWD and the added overall higher level of luxury the Genesis provides.

I am not biased either, as I am on my second Nissan/Infiniti product a full loaded RWD FX35. I have also owned 6 BMW's over the last 6 years (325, (2) 328-i sport, 528i sport, 330ci-zhp, X5 4.4 sport) and still have an 06 Mini Cooper S. I consider myself to be an enthusiast I like a variety of different cars. Trust when I say this car has a lot of the other makes sleeping with their nikes on.

The Genesis is a great effort by Hyundai and I am considering the V8 Tech. If its too soft I am sure a tire swap will help the handling.;)
The runflat dunlops the V6 comes with are very choppy in my opinion. They are quiet but def if you swap the tires itll be much smoother.

oldsnwbrdr

I can speak on this topic too!!! The Maxima and the Genesis are my top choices to replace my 2007 Acura TL (leased) in about six months.

I spent the last three days with a Maxima. I rented it from Enterprise in Houston, Texas. One evening while I was out I test drove the Genesis as well.

The comparison isn't entirely fair, because the Maxima I drove was a base model without any leather! But here were my observations....

The 2009 Maxima is a fantastic car. GREAT fun to drive, plenty of torque with absolutely NO torque steer. I've driven prior Maximas and had the torque steer rip the wheel out of my hands. Very comfortable seats (note I sat in some leather-equipped versions after I test drove the Genesis), especially with the extendable thigh supports. Very nimble and tossable. Got 22 mpg when I abused it.... 25 when I was more kind. I think the exterior styling is STUNNING... the interior is as well, especially when equipped with tan leather. I do not like some things about the premium package, especially the rear a/c and audio controls (don't want teens pawing at them, can they be disabled?). That said, I do wish the wood trim was available with the SV. The base stereo was just OK, haven't heard the Bose upgrade. The car had a great ride, not too firm, not too squishy. Ride was as quiet as any near-luxury car. For the price, the Maxima was the best car I've ever driven.

And then I drove the Genesis.

The first thing I noticed was how well the thing was put together. Just couldn't believe this was a $36K sedan (I'd want the tech package too). The Hyundai is a more overt luxury car so I didn't expect it to be as tossable as the Maxima... but I was very pleasantly surprised. The ride is a little firmer than I expected but it still handled road imperfections very well... uncannily, in fact. The ride was quieter than the Maxima, but not by a wide margin. I liked the seating position in the Genesis, I could tip the driving position back like I could with the Maxima, but obviously it does not have the lateral or under thigh support (cooled seat option is a plus). The stereo was phenomenal... the Acura TL's is very highly regarded, but the Genesis blew it away. And the tech package stereo is supposedly better yet, that's scary!!! Plenty roomy all around, love the tan interior (saw the black and saddle as well, and didn't care for either).

I want the Genesis in a BAD way.... equipped the way I'd want, it's $4,000 more than the Maxima, but it's worth it. Hope I can lease one for about the same price I'm paying now ($450/mo 15,000 miles per year). Guess it just depends upon how much I can afford to put down..... :(

sheltonzz

Registered Member

Thank you very much for your thoughts. Mine are similar as the fit and finish and quality of the interior on the Genesis is superior to the Maxima. I do fine the Maxima seat more comfortable to drive than the Genesis. My first impression on driving both cars is that Maxima handles better than the Genesis and reacts more like a sports car than the Genesis. I will not be purchasing until Sept. Although the 4k off was a heck of deal just not ready yet. Happen to be a Subaru/Hyundai dealer that is going out of business and had 1 fully loaded Genesis in stock. I drove the Genesis a second time over the weekend at another dealer and seem on the particular road there was more bounce on the suspension than the normal luxury ride. This surprised me as heavy as the Genesis is. Could have been the particular road but plan to drive the Maxima on the same road and stay open minded for a while as there should be more feed back from buyers the next 60 days. Really like the looks of both cars and also want to compare the TL when it comes out in Sept before buying.
You mised the boat. Genesis is selling at or even slightly above sticker price most everywhere. Any deal at 4K off is a gift and you passed it up!

netmag

I just can't get into the looks of this car. I suppose it could be considered better than the previous generation in that it isn't as bloated looking but it still really just doesn't do it for me. It doesn't have a look to it really (not sexy, not luxurious, not aggressive, not really anything). Also, this car just falls way too short in the lux dept but I guess they have to save most of that for the Infiniti's anyway.

redrocks

I just can't get into the looks of this car. I suppose it could be considered better than the previous generation in that it isn't as bloated looking but it still really just doesn't do it for me. It doesn't have a look to it really (not sexy, not luxurious, not aggressive, not really anything). Also, this car just falls way too short in the lux dept but I guess they have to save most of that for the Infiniti's anyway.
I agree that the Maxima's look is "different" and yes, Nissan can't add too much "luxury" without infringing on the Infiniti line. Genesis doesn't have that problem. The sky is the limit and Hyundai can set its goals against the competition.

Jet

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
It’s 2018, and I just got my 4.6 tech 52k miles and people are looking at it as something they have never seen before...would like to get some more aggressive tires/rims, any suggestions?

Jet

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.