• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Hyundai, Kia recalls - anyone know more?

silberma

Been here awhile...
Palm Beach, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Whistleblower sparks Hyundai, Kia recalls

May 12, 2017

South Korea's transport ministry has issued its first compulsory recall, ordering Hyundai to recall 240,000 vehicles after a tip off from a whistleblower.
It's also investigating whether or not the automakers allegedly covered up the five flaws, which affect 12 models, including the Elantra, Sonata, Santa Fe and Genesis.

5 Timer

Registered Member
northern Nevada
"This is negative for Hyundai's brand image after the hit from the recall over engine issue last month. But then, its reputation is already seen at the rock bottom in South Korea, so I am not sure whether there is a room for a further fall."

OUCH!!

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Hyundai-Kia have a vice grip on the Korean auto market due to national brand loyalty.

I look at recalls differently than most people. I think recalls are good, since the manufacturer admits there is a problem and is going to fix it. Just about every car has some problems, and lots of cars have problems that dealers don't admit is their responsibility to fix.

The other thing to note is that those are Korean recalls, which may not be the same as recalls in the USA that are issued in conjunction with the NHTSA. Also, recalls in the USA are usually only done for things that could affect safety, although a manufacturer can certainly issue a Tech Service Bulletin for other non-safety issues that they agree to fix under warranty. For any official recall in the USA, owners must be notified by mail, and one can plug their VIN number in to the Hyundai website to see any recalls that are still outstanding on a particular vehicle.

Nikgen

Been here awhile...
Hyundai-Kia have a vice grip on the Korean auto market due to national brand loyalty.

I look at recalls differently than most people. I think recalls are good, since the manufacturer admits there is a problem and is going to fix it. Just about every car has some problems, and lots of cars have problems that dealers don't admit is their responsibility to fix.

The other thing to note is that those are Korean recalls, which may not be the same as recalls in the USA that are issued in conjunction with the NHTSA. Also, recalls in the USA are usually only done for things that could affect safety, although a manufacturer can certainly issue a Tech Service Bulletin for other non-safety issues that they agree to fix under warranty. For any official recall in the USA, owners must be notified by mail, and one can plug their VIN number in to the Hyundai website to see any recalls that are still outstanding on a particular vehicle.
Recalls are good for a current owner (if there is a real fix) but bad for any prospective buyers, especially when it takes a whistle blower to make it happen - that is REALLY BAD and reflects VERY poorly on Hyundai/Kia. Sorry, but there is no spinning that!

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums